• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha C Trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abbfuller

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Yamaha C Trumpets Reply with quote

Looking in buying a new C trumpet - I want something that matches my Bb which is a Bobby Shew. It's been sent to Yamaha to sound and play like a Chicago Bb but with the openness of the Bobby Shew. Going off this, which Yamaha C (NY, LA, CH) and which Gen would match this? Any insight from those who have played those horns and their experience would be appreciated.
rjbirnbaum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't set my sights on matching a C trumpet to a Shew or a NY or any other Bflat. I have an 8310z, Bach 37, and 9335 Vizzutti. They are all much more similar to each other than any C trumpet. I played a Bach 229/25H since high school and it was never like any Bflat. I sold it and recently tried a Yamaha Chicago C and Bach Chicago C trumpets and found these two quite similar in playing and wound up getting a Bach Chicago which I really like but still find nothing like any of my Bflats. My suggestion is go try the Yamahas and Bachs and decide which you like best. A vast majority of successful pro players are playing one of these models.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you now want a C horn why???

I have a Yamaha Gen 1 Chicago that's a great instrument for symphony, small ensemble and solo work. It doen't play like my old Schilke B3 Bb, and for what I use it for, that's probably a good thing.

If you have a real reason for the C, know that you and it are going to need to become very well acquainted over a period of time, especially since this will be your first C. (Guessing...) Use it exclusively and learn to transpose from Bb right away. Learn whether or not you'll need the usual "standard" alternate fingerings for D, Eb and E (among others), learn not to fight it, and see after a while if opening up the back bore just a bit doesn't also help. If you're playing a Jet Tone MF, Reeves 42sv 692 or Schalke 14a4A you might consider trying something else on the C as well.

Personally, over the last 45 years or so I've never really had reason to have my C horns play like my Bb. Nor wanting my pic to play like a Bb, or my D/Eb. Good luck. Learning to play any C will be up to you.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bb and C trumpets are two entirely different animals. If I had ever found a C trumpet that played and sounded like my Bb, I wouldn't really need the C trumpet in the first place, unless of course I was too lazy to transpose.
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion the BACH 238 vidabona sounds close to a Bb. I own one but as Mr. Swartz said, I am still waiting an opportunity to use it. When I need a C trumpet it is because I need a C sound so I use my 239.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I think you shold be looking for a good C trumpet, not one that sounds like your current Bb.
I don't want my C to sound like my Bb.. if it did, why bother? Just learn to transpose, it's not that hard and cheaper.

Of the 3 you mentioned, I'd lean toward the NY setup.. but won't sound or play lke your Shew, but that's a good thing.. AND I would expect that over time you would tweak you mouthpiece setup to go with the C.. many find using the same mouthpiece on C and Bb isn't the best solution.

Also, I'd highly recommend that you look at a Bach 239 and especially the new 190 series Bach.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha C Trumpets Reply with quote

abbfuller wrote:
Looking in buying a new C trumpet - I want something that matches my Bb which is a Bobby Shew. It's been sent to Yamaha to sound and play like a Chicago Bb but with the openness of the Bobby Shew. Going off this, which Yamaha C (NY, LA, CH) and which Gen would match this? Any insight from those who have played those horns and their experience would be appreciated.

Craig, did it ever occur to you that OP may be a university student and therefore needs one for studies? Seems like an adequate reason to me.

I've always wanted a Bb to play like my C trumpet, not the other way around. The 8310Z will never play exactly like a Chicago because they are radically different instruments, it's hard for me to imagine one even being brought into a similar arena.

As far as C trumpets go, if you can find a Gen 1 Chicago, they are great. many folks favored the gen 2 NY over the gen 2 CHI. Still too early for me to have a concrete idea on Gen 3. I personally use a gen 1 Chicago that had the updated MC1 pipe put on it. I like the proposition of trying a 239 type bell.. the 9445NYII-YM would fit that.

If you're looking for a Bb and C that are compatible, the Chicago series is the closest I've found for that. Almost like they were made that way or something.....
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha C Trumpets Reply with quote

AJCarter wrote:

Craig, did it ever occur to you that OP may be a university student and therefore needs one for studies? Seems like an adequate reason to me.

I've always wanted a Bb to play like my C trumpet, not the other way around. The 8310Z will never play exactly like a Chicago because they are radically different instruments, it's hard for me to imagine one even being brought into a similar arena..

Sorry, AJ, but I don't usually assume anything. I also was not pushing a Gen 1 Chi as a horn that would fulfill the desires of the OP. If someone is bent on that, they might look into an old Callet Symphonique or Wild Thing in C if they can find one, they're probably closer to Bb than most. But again, I (personally) don't want my C to play like my go-to Bb...

Funny, but this came up last evening. After our orch matinee I ran to a rehearsal of a "praise band" I've been hired to play in as a sub for their lead next week. Bb stuff. I commented to the person I'm replacing next Sunday that the guitar keys the tunes were in would be easier on my C which got him to talking that he's kicked around buying a C so he could just read out of a hymnal should the need arise. Didn't even occur to him that he'd have 2 fewer sharps if he'd transpose the Bb part on a C horn. I don't care how anyone wants to spend their money but I know more than several hobby players who've had C trumpets sitting unused in closets now for years.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha C Trumpets Reply with quote

abbfuller wrote:

It is impossible to tell you which would be the best fit without hearing you play them. You should play as many trumpets as you can get your hands on and pick the one that lets the music out easiest. I recently played several Cs from Bach and Yamaha. I enjoyed the Bach Philly and Yamaha NY the most. Both brands' Chicago were good too. A lot of people like the 229/25H but it's also the horn most often found used.
Fgonzales2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as rediterated my lesson teacher always said that the c trumpet could be diffrent and that matching your Bb is key and everything else is your prefrence so see what you like
-Jupiter JTR600s (Customized with harrelson equipment)
C Trumpet- Custom Built Thane Trumpet(Bach bell 229, Bach leadpipe custom. Yamaha Valve block
Balio,thedogyeller

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As GenIII is out, you should be able to get a Gen II for quite a reduced price from chronic upgraders.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Schilke C6 or C7 would be the closest. Also the '70's vintage Yamaha (Schilke clone) C trumpets. The Shew Bb has the same lineage.

Those would be fine for solo or chamber work. Not so much for orchestral.
Aspeyrer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve have better luck making a C play close to a Bb than the other way around.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First find a C that has the right sound. That's the most important thing. When I went through the exercise I fell hard for a Malone modified Bach 229 and really didn't enjoy most other Bach models and other makes. Even bought a Malone modified Yamaha C but sold it a few years later because it wasn't the horn I really felt I sounded best on.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart

Last edited by cheiden on Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
breden

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play the Shew horn as well. I was in the same boat a while back thinking of trying to find a step bore type of C trumpet (if that's possible). Was trying to find the old Schilke step bore C's that they used to make. No luck. What I did end up with is an older Yamaha pre Mark version of 6445. I love it. It isn't exactly the same blow as the Shew (this is large bore and its a C trumpet) but the Yamaha feel is there. Can't really explain that completely, but in the hand they feel similar and the sound is fantastic. I think the old 6000 series are underrated. So much so that recently I found a 6345G (new stock) in a store a few weeks ago. The 6000 series are still up on the Yamaha website but apparently not very available - when I've looked. Very happy with that purchase. For my opinion, I preferred the Yamaha 6000 series to both the Xeno and Artist model - but we are also talking a complete different price range. I did have a nice conversation with Bob Malone last summer at ITG and I did enquire about a Yamaha step bore C model ...... he thought it was intriguing. Might be an interesting project one day for chamber settings etc. Hope that helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: