• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Marcinkiewicz 8, 9 or 10?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fredrik

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Marcinkiewicz 8, 9 or 10? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

A couple of years ago I went back to a more compact rim after playing mouthpieces in the Bach 3 to 1.5 sizes. I more or less played on a Schilke 11 for 2 years but about 6 months ago I tried a Marcinkiewicz 6/10.5C and I really like it, it's been my main mouthpiece since.

Now I'm looking for something that get's me a brighter sound and a little more support for big band.

I've tried the Marc. E5 Bobby Shew 2 but it's something about that rim and slope into the cup that just doesn't work for me and I would prefer to keep my rim more or less the same.

Are there anyone out there who use or have used the Marc. 8, 9 or 10 in the standard series? How do these models work for big band and more commercial work?

Kind regards
Fredrik
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "home base" mouthpiece is the 9. I usually keep an 8 and a 10 handy if I need a bit more or less cup. The rims are exactly the same.

If they feel "small" you can do some practice time on the 11 or 12 and it will help the 8,9, or 10 to feel larger in diameter.

The endorsee mouthpieces are all over the place, design wise , and do not relate well to the stock pieces.

With correct approach and conscientious practice the stock 8,9 10 can work extremely well for all kinds of music. Especially big band.

I would prefer a very slightly larger cup diameter and rim width. But the stock mouthpieces have a limited number of cup diameters. But the 9 is close enough. I have played on the 9 for most of the last 30 years.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Marcinkiewicz Model 6 (and other pieces in that 10.5 diameter). Depending on the mouthpiece depth that works for you, I'd try the Model 15; Roger Ingram; and Pete Candoli (very shallow bowl).
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
i'm surprised that the Shew rim doen(t give you as much satisfaction as the 6 10 1/2.
I've got one and liked everything in it, except the ID was a bit too large for me.
Many years ago i played on Marc. Shew mpcs, then on Yam Shew lead, then on Marc. Ingram (based on Shew, downsized version), and ended with custom mpcs, upsized Ingram ID.
For me, Shew, Ingram and 6 10 1/2's rim contour, alpha angle, feel the same.

I think like said before, that 8, 9 or 10 would be the best options. Try one or all, and you'll see.
Contact Marcinkiewicz too, they can give you good advices.
best
Fredrik

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the replies everyone!

As we all know we must try ourselves to see if a mouthpiece work for us but it's great to hear about the experiences of others.

I think I'll give the 9 a try then, I'm also curious about the Ingram Marc.

Once again, thank's a lot for taking your time to reply.

Kind regards

Fredrik
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello Fredrick
like i said, i played on the Ingram and made make custom mpcs based on this ID, with various cup depths.
2 years after, they felt too small, and i ordered the same mpcs upsized to 0.05 little mm, that make a huge difference !
The Ingram will feel very smaller than the 6 10 (which i own)
best
steevo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, the Marcinkiewicz 'Standard Series' models 6,7,8,9 and 10 are essentially the same rim with decreasing cup depth as the numbers ascend.

If you are playing a 6 and you like the feel of the rim and want a little more compression for a zippier sound, an 8, 9 or 10 may give you the results you are looking for. If you can, I would seek a dealer that has these in stock to try. Otherwise, I would order an 8 or 9 and give it a try.

Good luck!
RogerIngram
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Marcinkiewicz Ingram model (E12.4) is a very good mouthpiece which is basically a Bobby Shew #1 with a downsized rim. I stopped using that mouthpiece over 10 years ago. For the all-around type of work that I do here in Chicago, it is much too small for practical purposes. The everyday, all-around commercial (big bands, shows, recording, solo work etc) mouthpiece that I have used for the last 10 years is the "Be-Bop" model from the Ingram Signature Mouthpiece line.

These are the dimensions of the Be-Bop model: the inner rim diameter is 0.655". The outer rim diameter is 1.098". The shank is equivalent to a 4.5 Reeves sleeve. This mouthpiece comes stock with a #28 drill and the back-bore is slightly more open than other mouthpieces in the Ingram line.

For me, this mouthpiece yields a warm, broad sound, offers precise articulation and responds with a high degree of stability up to, and above a double D. For the orchestral type of work that I do here in Chicago, I simply use a standard Bach mouthpiece with the medium large, XO Brass model 1602 trumpet. For more information: http://onetootree.com/IngramMouthpieces.html

I hope this helps
MY BOOK: http://onetootree.com/Books
FACEBOOK: http://facebook.com/RogerIngramTrumpet
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 10 that I used as a test-bed when Joe and I were working out my personal piece. It's a fine mouthpiece, but the rim is too sharp for me. If you like a lot of 'bite', it might suit you well. (It gets a good sound, but is not comfortable for me).
Fredrik

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Thanks alot for all the great replies. TH is a great place sometimes.
Especially thanks to Roger Ingram for taking your time to reply. I'm aware of the Ingram mouthpiece line and of course I'm curious to try those mouthpieces too.

Once again, thanks to all of you.

Regards
Fredrik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: