• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

2 1/2 c without the bite

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: 2 1/2 c without the bite Reply with quote

My trumpet teacher Bruce Revesz switched me from a 1C to a 2 1/2 C while studying in New York during college summer break. I liked the sound but when I moved to commercial lead playing it was sunset (except for the Annie solo!) The 2 1/2 C has a deep bowl with a big dark sound.

Can someone recommend a mp similar to a Bach 2 1/2 C but without the bite? Just practicing Christmas carols with the wife, kids and grand kids these days. My normal stuff is Schilke 14 diameter or around 17 mm. Need a wider rim with less bite at my age!

Thanks,

Gordon Stump
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is your 2 1/2C? If it it's old, you can try a new one. The rim is probably a lot different. Or you can try a 2C. or a 2 3/4 C.
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it new in.........1967!
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe something like a Reeves 43B - plenty deep but a very friendly rim profile.
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke 17D4 might work. Very similar to the 2 3/4C. The differences are tiny gradations at that level and you'd just have to try. Otherwise Schilke 14 definitely has less bite and is about the same size. The C cup might help too for all round play.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest trying a Curry 3C... a touch bigger than a Bach 3C, less bite. Then if this suites you, his line up (3 series rims ) all have the same feel and shape - the, for instance, you could get a 3*(star) for a more commercial sound.

Reeves also wonderful, but I think the overall tone concept is more commercial in character.. further away from the 2 1/2 that you llike. And like Schilke rims, comfortable but not as easy to produce clear consistent articulation.

I find the Bach 2 1/2 C to have one of the sharpest bite in the collection. I also love the sound of one, but can't play it very long, not comfortable thus limits endurance.

good luck on the safari
Retired Air Force Bandsman
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments and advice. I spent an entire career playing on bright, tight mouthpieces. In Detroit it was Darwinism. To fool the conductors on more orchestral shows I would have Scott Laskey adjust my pieces to be inefficient. Because I was more than strong enough to waste energy in order to cover all the crap in my sound from years of abuse, I survived another 10 years of import shows to extend my career.

But my inefficient mouthpieces lacked character. Everything was processed and mixed with synths so it did not really matter.

Bruce Revesz, 2nd trumpet with New York opera for 50 years has a sound to die for. And he is a great teacher. Most serious young trumpeters in Northern New Jersey wanted to study with him back in the 60's-90's. His teacher, William Vacchiano called him Mr. 2 1/2 C. There is something unique about that 2 1/2 C mouthpiece. I actually sounded good and did much better at college with that piece.

I just wanted to give a bit of context to my quest and also give a shout out to Mr. 2 1/2 C Mr Bruce Revesz. I may just find a newer 2 1/2 C.

Thanks again.

Gordon Stump
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are terrific mouthpieces. I got one back in 1977 with my very first trumpet, a Selmer 99 radial. It produced an amazing sound.

That mouthpiece sat around my box of mpcs for year and ended up going off with a good student when I was in college.

That very mouthpiece (and the King 600 instrument) have returned with another young student. He too has a great sound. Just attempting to add a better practice ethos...

Given time, we can play on anything, I suspect.

Cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: