• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Advice for Comeback Player's first lesson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billm67

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject: Advice for Comeback Player's first lesson Reply with quote

I put the trumpet down 30 years ago when I graduated from High School. I have been playing guitar professionally non-stop all these years. I picked up a used Getzen two months ago and I have been playing and trying to get myself back. Going for a "tune-up" lesson today and wondering what would be the best things to work with the instructor on during the lesson. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd work on fundamentals + a practice plan. Think about what type of music and what your goal is: relaxation, gigging, adding something into your guitar work, technical drills, etc.

Enjoy!
billm67

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 30 plus years of guitar...I'm burned out on playing old rock in Bar bands. I have been going to hear a local Big Band/Jazz Band made up of lots of retired Music Educators and College Professors. It's great stuff and I have been listening to recordings I've been making almost non-stop. I've been searching out stuff I did in High School jazz band and other stuff I've been listening to (Jazz Standards). I'm excited about playing again and find myself playing everyday. Just enjoying music again.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to hear how it goes. I'm a comeback player who did a community band last year and has played in church. There are jam nights nearby but I haven't gotten up the nerve (or practice) to play in yet.

I do think it's just a really fun instrument and it's great for learning a different slice of music. I'm also playing along with jazz standards, really hearing them for the first time. And learning lots of trumpet players I wish I'd known before. It's a really fun hobby.
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billm67 wrote:
After 30 plus years of guitar...I'm burned out on playing old rock in Bar bands.

Hey billm67...I can relate to that!!!

I'm excited about playing again and find myself playing everyday. Just enjoying music again.

I'm coming from a similar place and have been planning to 'augment' the horn section in the band I work with. It seems that there are quite a few guitar players kicking' around here!

dclarktrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest getting a well rounded daily routine going. Your teacher should help you get a list put together. Not too much of any one thing, but dont leave out anything either. Mouthpiece buzzing, flexibility, articulation, scales, etc. Best of luck to you.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any teacher worth going to will assess what it is that you need and create a daily routine and show you how to execute it. Find a pro. It may cost a bit more but it will be well worth it.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
billm67

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the first lesson and I told the teacher that I'm not looking to take weekly lessons, Unfortunately with work and other responsibilities I do not have time to commit to weekly lessons. I believe it was due to the lesson studio where we met...but the teacher put the full court press on with signing up for weekly lessons including that they could take my picture and use it in their promotional materials. That really turned me off. We did talk about some warm ups and other odds and ends which was really helpful. So the first lesson was not a big success. I am however going to start playing with my local town band and I think that will be a good thing for me. I am somewhat nervous as it will be the first time I played outside of my house in 35 years...but I have been practicing pretty regularly since August...so I'm ready to jump in.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billm67 wrote:
... so I'm ready to jump in.

---------------------------------
Yes, do see if the town band is a good fit.
And don't worry, or feel a need to be competitive. Play the 3rd/4th part and get used to the conductor's style (and the various 'characters' in the group).

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: