• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lip placement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimitris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Lip placement Reply with quote

Hello everybody. My name is Dimitris and I have been playing the trumpet for about 6 years. I've had some problems with my embouchure which I have now corrected but there is still something that troubles me. When I start buzzing in the mouthpiece my upper lip goes off to the left side thus having my embouchure a little bit to the left. When I just buzz my lip is in a different position; exactly in the middle. When I buzz and try to place the mouthpiece my lip goes off instinctively. Do you guys have any idea on how to fix that or just any knowledge based on this???
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calimera Dimitris
without seeing you, i'd tell that it may be dued to :
1) your lip buzzing point is centered according to your labial muscles
2) when you set the mpc, it seats on the teeth, so if the most stable place is off center, this can explain that...

i'd suggest lip buzzing, helping with your finger tips on the place of the mpc's rim, as taught by Bobby Shew; and try to find the best placement, playing softly, experimenting with the best faster response you get when playing soft and with the right jaw adjustments.

the best would be to get a good teacher, or skype lessons...
best
Dimitris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Lip placement Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
Calimera Dimitris
without seeing you, i'd tell that it may be dued to :
1) your lip buzzing point is centered according to your labial muscles
2) when you set the mpc, it seats on the teeth, so if the most stable place is off center, this can explain that...

i'd suggest lip buzzing, helping with your finger tips on the place of the mpc's rim, as taught by Bobby Shew; and try to find the best placement, playing softly, experimenting with the best faster response you get when playing soft and with the right jaw adjustments.

the best would be to get a good teacher, or skype lessons...
best

Calispera. Thanks for the quick response. I will try the Bobby Shew method. It's actually something me and my teacher have been trying to figure out for some time. I will consult with him tomorrow on our lesson.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's common that the mouthpiece works best when it's centered on the top front tooth that sticks out the farthest. This is rarely in the center. Don't get hung up if you play best slightly off-center.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dimitri , good to see Greek guys at forum , try the Caruso method is unbeatable method to solve many problems including the mpc placement.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop buzzing and just play the trumpet.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are playing with the mouthpiece in a new position, you are retraining muscles. It will take time and you'll just have to push through it. I went through a similar change with a slight issue on one side of my embouchure, though not to the degree you seem to be experiencing it. Playing very softly can help form an embouchure that is less spread and less likely to push out of the mouthpiece.

The Irons 27 Groups of Exercises is a great book that emphasizes soft playing while developing the embouchure. Follow the instructions exactly.

Clarke Technical Studies is written to be played mostly pianissino throughout. There is a good reason for this.

These two books worked for me, but I had to use them diligently.

I recommend using a metronome with both books. Don't worry about mouthpiece buzzing right now. Build up your on-horn playing first.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Zack_Mac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In high school, I also played off to one side of my mouth. I've always had pretty straight teeth, so I think that is just where I started. I developed a really good sound and a decent range for playing lead trumpet in our jazz band. When I got to college, the look of it being off to the side bothered me and I also thought that was the cause of other issues I was having so I very slowly over the course of months migrated the mouthpiece over. Every time I practiced, I would look in a mirror, set the mouthpiece where it was comfortable and then scooted it over a tiny bit and played exercises there. Now I play directly in the center of my lips.

The lips only buzzing isn't super applicable to playing. However, Jimmy Stamp did use that methodology to fix player's embouchures. I would check out Roy Popper's guide to the James Stamp method. After reading it, I found out I was doing lip buzzing totally wrong. Then I would suggest lip buzzing and moving the mouthpiece on and off the face with a mirror.

Best of luck
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Lip placement Reply with quote

Dimitris wrote:
Hello everybody. My name is Dimitris and I have been playing the trumpet for about 6 years. I've had some problems with my embouchure which I have now corrected but there is still something that troubles me. When I start buzzing in the mouthpiece my upper lip goes off to the left side thus having my embouchure a little bit to the left. When I just buzz my lip is in a different position; exactly in the middle. When I buzz and try to place the mouthpiece my lip goes off instinctively. Do you guys have any idea on how to fix that or just any knowledge based on this???

If it sounds good, forget about it. Just sound good and have fun. When you say buzz your lip...do you mean just your lips (no mouthpiece?). This is not a good indicator of anything.

If it sounds good, get off trumpetherald and never turn back.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lip placement Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Dimitris wrote:

If it sounds good, forget about it. Just sound good and have fun. When you say buzz your lip...do you mean just your lips (no mouthpiece?). This is not a good indicator of anything.

Really?? Pretty arrogant of you to be telling someone with about the same level of inexperience as yourself to “get off trumpetherald.”

Brad
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Lip placement Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
abontrumpet wrote:
Dimitris wrote:

Really?? Pretty arrogant of you to be telling someone with about the same level of inexperience as yourself to “get off trumpetherald.”

Brad

I think you have me confused with someone else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: