• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Opinions: most in tune Flugel out of the box regardless of $

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Opinions: most in tune Flugel out of the box regardless of $ Reply with quote

I have never cared for the intonation of flugels I’ve played, and it could be my technique. Better players than me have often affirmed my feelings on this. Is this a generally held opinion, or are actually brands/models in tune low g to hi c or so. I know this can vary on any trumpet as well, but my experience is the swings are greater. Can anyone recommend an in tune piece that’s easy playing? Trumpet will remain my main axe.
Rod
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn Vintage One or Adams.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also say I have found success with Pickett and ACB flugel mouthpieces. That is also a factor in the equation.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmmm
Ive always thought that most flugels are nicely in tune, with the exception of high D first sometimes. All of my flugels I liked for pitch except maybe my bach 183, but i just did not like it much.

even the adalucia brand asian flugel is pretty good. I like yamaha 631 intonation too. Also my getzen eterna was good that way.

Its true that you have to have the right mouthpiece shank, but even that is pretty forgiving.

If you are complaining about low D and C# then make sure you get a trigger.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eclipse.

Nothing I've played came close.

Having said that, I'd say probably 95%+ of the flugels I see in championship bands are either Bach or Yamaha - admittedly these are in the hands of players capable of manipulating them, but intonation is very important in this setting.

I've played some instruments with poor intonation, but nothing comes close to the Courtois 159R a previous band owned - it sat in the cupboard unplayed for a reason, absolutely godawful (far, far worse than the UMI Benge 3 I inherited and suffer on the odd occasion I need one).
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Opinions: most in tune Flugel out of the box regardless of $ Reply with quote

Yamaha 631G...hands down!

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adams with an ACB 1.25CSMDF
LB Bel Canto #59
Holton B47
Frankenhorn projects 1-5
Adams F1
Olds Super Tenor Trombone
Alesis QS8
B2MS3, B2GS3,
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YMMV. Personally I have never had a problem with flugelhorn intonation, although an old rotary valve Stowasser takes its fair share of lipping. My choices for best intonation are Wild Thing, Kanstul ZKF-1525 (both of which I still own), Adams F1, and Olds L12 (both of which I have owned; I prefer a GR/Melk pipe in the Olds although the difference is modest). Even a Jupiter 846, which is very like the Yamaha others mentioned) played just fine with minimal tweaking. My granddaughter likes her late model Besson.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 1970s, Byron Autrey working with Zig Kanstul created a mathematical model for the bell branch taper. This is what solved the intonation problems with the flugelhorn. If a flugelhorn design uses this model it is more likely to be in tune.

I have played Kanstul's 925, 1025, 1525 and the Kanstul-built Wild Thing flugelhorn. All of them play in tune. Other brands also play in tune.

I was contacted by one player who asked me if he could try my WT to see if it was better than the horn he had, which was a European model I don't recall. He had trouble playing octaves in tune, but I had no intonation issues at all when I played it. I realized that his tone was thin and pinched on ascending scales, but would immediately open up with lovely rich tone when he turned the scale and descended. He was pinching his embouchure as he played higher, which was messing with his intonation. I was not the first person to tell him this and he was discouraged that the problem was his technique and that he would have to alter his playing in order to solve the issue.

It can be done. I did.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..I found that many Flugels are pretty terrible pitch wise; at least a bigger spread than trumpet world (especially guys that don't have decent Flugels or care about mouthpiece compatibility).. They are more sensitive to mouthpiece selection than trumpets.. AND if the mouthpiece is deep so get an beautiful warm sound, that's fluffy but harder to tune. I will say I work with a lot of good players that THINK their Flugel plays in-tune.. OR maybe they just don't care....

anyway:

Van Laar
Adams
Olds Custom..
Retired Air Force Bandsman
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that the OP is asking for an opinion. The problem with an opinion is that it typically involves some degree of subjectivity which is limited by the actual experience of the player expressing the opinion.

How many among us have play tested all the flugelhorns which might be considered the most inherently in tune? I would suspect that there may be no one responding here who fits that description. So, opinions have to be considered with such limitations.

Flugelhorns are inherently squirrelly instruments in terms of intonation. They do not slot like trumpets and, intentionally or otherwise, the pitches are more easily varied by the player. These are characteristics which endear flugelhorns to many players. Flugelhorns can be very expressive instruments.

Since the player is an important part of the formula different players can have widely varying impressions of any particular horn (including a trumpet) as to intonation, slotting, response, sound and all the other elements involved in evaluating and classifying a horn. As the saying goes, what do you get when two players play test the same horn? The answer is "three opinions."

Where inherent intonation is concerned I haven't seen any scientific study eliminating the human element addressing the issue and until one exists this topic is likely to be controversial/highly opinionated.

I have two flugelhorns: A Kanstul 1525 and an Adams F2. They both play in tune if I do my job. That being said, my approach, consciously or subconsciously, is to play them in tune by ear, automatically making whatever adjustments are necessary in the moment. My impressions are (1) this is normal for flugelhorns and (2) neither horn requires more adjustments than the other.

I think that flugelhorns are somewhat sensitive to mouthpiece choices and that it's possible for a particular mouthpiece to change the player's impression of the inherent intonation of the horn. Using the same mouthpiece in two different horns can give the player different impressions. Although the impressions may be valid for that player other players, using various mouthpieces, may have much different impressions.

Even the best, most inherently in tune flugelhorn can be played way out of tune. At the end of the day I think that consciously or subconsciously we all make intonation adjustments by ear and our ability to do that skews our impression of the inherent intonation of the horn.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
I think that flugelhorns are somewhat sensitive to mouthpiece choices and that it's possible for a particular mouthpiece to change the player's impression of the inherent intonation of the horn.

I would say it is even more extreme than that. Monette doesn't sell a flugel mouthpiece without the horn itself in hand, there is a reason why.

I have a CarolBrass flugel and it only plays octaves in-tune with the stock mouthpiece that came with it (CarolBrass 3CFL). I have heard a similar comment about Courtois, they were originally tuned with the stock mouthpiece and may do poorly with others. The old tradition of trumpets was the mouthpiece came with the horn as much as the bell did, and to some degree that tradition lives on with flugels. Some flugels are more flexible than others in terms of adapting to different mouthpieces; the CarolBrass and Courtois are not in that list!
petersenpbiker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with HERMOKIWI:

Quote:
I have two flugelhorns: A Kanstul 1525 and an Adams F2. They both play in tune if I do my job. That being said, my approach, consciously or subconsciously, is to play them in tune by ear, automatically making whatever adjustments are necessary in the moment. My impressions are (1) this is normal for flugelhorns and (2) neither horn requires more adjustments than the other.

I think that flugelhorns are somewhat sensitive to mouthpiece choices and that it's possible for a particular mouthpiece to change the player's impression of the inherent intonation of the horn. Using the same mouthpiece in two different horns can give the player different impressions. Although the impressions may be valid for that player other players, using various mouthpieces, may have much different impressions.

I use a Kanstul 1525 and have 3 mouthpieces, 2 are from Curry, one is a Wild Thing. I blow differently with each, and have extremely different sounds with each. I use the phone app, TonalEnergy, or "TE Tuner" to tune and periodically check my intonation when practicing. I don't notice any more intonation issues on the flugel than on my trumpet.

I blow the different horns slightly differently, to reach the tone color in my head, and because the resistance is different. I also try to embrace the difference and not fight it since they are different types of horns. I don't know if this is the "preferred" method, but it works for me.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback. The issues I have could very well be related to the mouthpieces I’m most comfortable with. I normally have good to very good pitch control with trumpets and my current mp’s. I normally play on 630 width pieces with shallow v cups. These don’t come with flugel shanks, and the buckets I’ve seen only hurt my intonation tone and range, high and low.

I think I will just stay with trumpet as I’m just starting to get ahead on it🤯🎺
Rod
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure you wouldn't want shallow V on a flugel. Ever look into the Reeves size 40 pieces? I'm sure they can make suitable rim with any of their flugel cups and any shank.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Marcinkiewicz is very nicely in tune with itself.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback. The issues I have could very well be related to the mouthpieces I’m most comfortable with. I normally have good to very good pitch control with trumpets and my current mp’s. I normally play on 630 width pieces with shallow v cups. These don’t come with flugel shanks, and the buckets I’ve seen only hurt my intonation tone and range, high and low.

I think I will just stay with trumpet as I’m just starting to get ahead on it🤯🎺
Rod

Hi Rod

I much prefer trumpet style cups on cornet, rightly or wrongly even for brass band playing, but I've never had the least problem with playing flugel cups. As an example, I've just moved brass band, and for my first gig, the conductor asked whether I'd play flugel, as the flugel player was away. I said that I'd be more than happy to, but advised him that I wasn't sure what my endurance would be like, as I'm used to using flugel for intermittent tunes in my jazz band, Misty etc. Anyway, despite the depth of my flugel mouthpiece, I had absolutely no endurance issues.

Flugel is such a different instrument to trumpet and cornet. Although one of the biggest in terms of wrap, I believe that my Bach 183 only has a 10.30mm bore. Although I like to use the same rim, I see no reason to match any of the other mouthpiece parameters. My personal recommendation therefore, would be to use a middle of the road flugel mouthpiece.

As I said above, my flugel is a Bach 183. I've had it for years. I've only ever used one flugel mouthpiece on it, a Bach 3CFL. Obviously it has the right shank for a Bach 183 flugel, and I find that it plays well, with good intonation and a good flugel sound.

I used to play alongside a chap who had a Bundy flugel with a cornet style wrap. It played ok with a good tone, but when I had a go on it, I couldn't believe how bad its intonation was. Some notes were almost a semi-tone out, with both my Bach 3CFL and the Bach flugel mouthpiece (I can't remember the size) he used with it. I only played it for a short while, but the intonation started to come in as I got used to it, and the owner himself had absolutely no issues playing it with good intonation.

When it comes to it, I think that it is a case of choosing a middle of the road flugel mouthpiece with the correct shank fitting, and as long as you have a decent well made flugel, getting to know the intonation characteristics of your particular flugel.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: