• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Comeback with BE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kantundpeterpan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Comeback with BE Reply with quote

Hello everyone!
After ten years without any serious practice I am working on a comeback on the horn. During high school I have already been working with BE, so I am somewhat familiar with the exercises. But it's been a long time, new things emerged while practicing and I need some clarification.

1) I have been practicising squeaking quite a lot recently and realized, that the aperture when squeaking is rather central, while my "normal" setup is slightly shifted to the left. While doing the RI exercises I use the squeaking setup, which - once tuned correctly - gives me a good sound, the partials lock straight in and I get G above the staff or a high C with almost no mouthpiece pressure (even a squeaky double high C when playing around). Given the difference between these two setups, is there anything specific I should do about it like trying to move my everyday setup more to a central position?

2) What I read while roaming older posts about the RI and RO confused me a little. To my understanding, a more rolled-in position was what I should aim for as well as finally being able to bring this position down to the lower register. If that's not the case, maybe someone could comment on that, especially within in the context of p. 88 - Tonguing with lips rolled in: "Once tonguing gets easy, this embochure can be used in everyday playing."

3) Last but no least - TOL. I am playing with the tip of my tongue constantly touching my lower lip and an area just behind it to touch my upper lip for starting notes. Anything wrong with that?

Thanks a lot, greets from France
Heiner
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Comeback with BE Reply with quote

kantundpeterpan wrote:
Hello everyone!
After ten years without any serious practice I am working on a comeback on the horn. During high school I have already been working with BE, so I am somewhat familiar with the exercises. But it's been a long time, new things emerged while practicing and I need some clarification.

1) I have been practicising squeaking quite a lot recently and realized, that the aperture when squeaking is rather central, while my "normal" setup is slightly shifted to the left. While doing the RI exercises I use the squeaking setup, which - once tuned correctly - gives me a good sound, the partials lock straight in and I get G above the staff or a high C with almost no mouthpiece pressure (even a squeaky double high C when playing around). Given the difference between these two setups, is there anything specific I should do about it like trying to move my everyday setup more to a central position?

You didn't give enough information about how well you play overall in the center currently.

But in general, the answer is no, there is nothing specific. However, if playing becomes more easy in the center, you may eventually have to make a decision about whether or not to play in the center full time.

kantundpeterpan wrote:
2) What I read while roaming older posts about the RI and RO confused me a little. To my understanding, a more rolled-in position was what I should aim for as well as finally being able to bring this position down to the lower register. If that's not the case, maybe someone could comment on that, especially within in the context of p. 88 - Tonguing with lips rolled in: "Once tonguing gets easy, this embouchure can be used in everyday playing."

The key word in the last sentence was "can." The amount of RI you use is a variable. For those who find RI to be central to success, eventually using it in everyday playing is obviously logical.

But the same can be said of RO.

Most players favor one more than the other, but use both to some degree.

kantundpeterpan wrote:
3) Last but no least - TOL. I am playing with the tip of my tongue constantly touching my lower lip and an area just behind it to touch my upper lip for starting notes. Anything wrong with that?

You are anchor tonguing. Nothing wrong with it at all, but it just adds another variable. I don't discuss it in BE, because it adds unnecessary complexity to the whole process. Plus, my students tend to do fine in the upper register without using it.

Hope this helps!

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: