• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

King Super 20 S1 bell replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
king leopardi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: King Super 20 S1 bell replacement Reply with quote

I recently acquired a King Super 20 S1 with a badly damaged bell. Wanted to see if anyone on the forum has had any experience with replacing one of these bells.

Dave Brewer
Steve Hollahan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: King Super 20 bell Reply with quote

Unless destroyed, most bells are fixable. Can you post pix?
Kanstul 900 piccolo trumpet
Sculptured Recrafting Custom Instrument Repair
and Restoration
www.sculpturedrecrafting.com
king leopardi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: King Super 20 S1 bell replacement Reply with quote

Haven't posted pictures for a while since I no longer have a Photobucket account. If I can figure it out, I'll post some.

I dropped it off at my local repair shop yesterday afternoon. They're going to do the best they can with the bell. Based on previous experience I've had with them, I imagine that they'll do a pretty good job. Whoever had it actually hammered out the bell rim too. That must have taken some effort!

I had bought it as a parts trumpet, but the valves are in pretty decent shape and it has good bones. It's from about 1949.

Dave Brewer
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Boone at Palen Music in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma can fix it. He has repaired bells for me, and you simply cannot tell anything had happened to them. He is a gigging trumpet player himself and understands. One of the bells he fixed was my King S2 Super 20, which suffered misalignment, Couesnon Flugel smoothing out, Couesnon C trumpet bell tail issues, Jupiter pocket trumpet bell crease without compromising the black lacquer, Besson tuba bell creased about as you describe your trumpet bell, etc. Tell him I sent you.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the demise of photobucket I was able to use imgur to host a photo to post here without even needing to create an account. Seemed to work pretty easily.
king leopardi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, everybody! I've decided at this point not to put any more money into this one. Turns out the valves have only about a half pound of pressure and I have a couple of other Super 20s in better condition that play better.

Dave Brewer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: