• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stints and blood thinners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Stints and blood thinners Reply with quote

Hi, Friday I had 3 stints put in and I'm now on a blood thinner. Today I started practicing and I'm taking it real easy. I'm doing flexibility and Clark #2 for now. I am restricted from lifting for the next week and don't plan on pushing my playing until next week, just doing light maintenance for now. I will be going to the NCMEA In Service Conference next week (I teach high school band), but also have a parade Saturday and will leave for the convention after. Of course I will be asking my doctor about this when I see him this week.

My concern is playing the trumpet and how this (thinners and stints) might effect my playing? I have a gig at the end of the month that will require some heavy playing, a rock/R&B set followed by an Elvis show. Do any of you have experience here? Can I push my playing and range 2 weeks after this procedure? Or, should I pass this gig on and give myself more recovery time? My doctor really isn't up on what playing at this level involves, we've discussed this. I will also have another procedure in 6 months that will be far more complicated and require at least 6 weeks recovery.

Thanks, Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try google 'trumpet blood pressure' for some articles.
It seems that producing high internal air pressure (as sometimes occurs when playing) has the effect of raising blood pressure.

I'd explain it to a doctor as being similar to the strain of inflating a balloon that requires a large amount of high air pressure being blown thru the mouth.

My guess is that the recommendation would be "don't" - why take the chance.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.

Last edited by JayKosta on Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have four stents. They've been in for 13 years and never caused a problem playing.
The Cardiologist had me wait a week before any "heavy" playing (light, soft practice or mouthpiece buzzing was fine) and after that week, nothing prevented me from playing, not even the thinners.
I no longer take thinners, just a 81 mg aspirin at night.
Follow your doctors orders. You will be fine.
R. Tomasek
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Stents, etc. Reply with quote

My doctor told me to take a month off after my heart attack (three stents).

Ask your doctor what he recommends.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I searched TH for this subject, but didn't find anything similar. I did explain to the doc the physiology involved playing above high C and for long durations. I will be gradually getting back to where I was or need to be. I also told him that in the past couple years I would feel like I just ran 3 miles after I finish playing a show. I'm hoping the stints will ease this feeling. I'll do the google search. I thought I'd stop in TH first to see if I can refine my searching or hear from some of you who have been through this. I apparently have had some issues for a long time. It will be interesting to see if endurance improves with the increased blood flow. My concern with blood thinners is with bruising or pushing things too hard. But, will take it slow and steady until I have to hit Hunk of Burning Love on the 30th.
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had open heart surgery nine years ago with a mitrol valve replacement. I was told to walk and do mild exercise immediately. They said the main issue was the chest healing process from being sawed open. Not the surgery on the heart. The heart heals pretty fast. The frustrating part is when you ask a non-trumpet playing Dr about playing, you get the blank stare. They have no idea. Even if they had some idea, they don't know the effort we as individual trpt players use to do certain things. I started playing one month after surgery. I had planned to take it easy but within the first 10 minutes of warmup I was running scales to high C which I had not planned to do. It just happened. It startled me. The medical community is well versed about the strain of golf and sex and when to resume both after heart surgery. Anything else is a guess.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hose wrote:
I had open heart surgery nine years ago with a mitrol valve replacement. I was told to walk and do mild exercise immediately. They said the main issue was the chest healing process from being sawed open. Not the surgery on the heart. The heart heals pretty fast. The frustrating part is when you ask a non-trumpet playing Dr about playing, you get the blank stare. They have no idea. Even if they had some idea, they don't know the effort we as individual trpt players use to do certain things. I started playing one month after surgery. I had planned to take it easy but within the first 10 minutes of warmup I was running scales to high C which I had not planned to do. It just happened. It startled me. The medical community is well versed about the strain of golf and sex and when to resume both after heart surgery. Anything else is a guess.

Exactly! He told me he thought you just put it to your lips and play. I explained that when I'm playing lead, like when I did In The Heights it's a very physical thing and went into the physical demands of playing above high C and at volume leading a section, etc. Oh well, got to run, class.
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Zenith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a trumpet playing medical doctor, though not practicing in the US.

Your questions can be viewed from three aspects: your underlying heart condition, the stenting operation, and the blood thinner.

The stents themselves will not affect your playing if the small operation wound at your groin has healed. The stents simply open up some previously blocked/partially blocked heart vessels, which is good for your heart.

The blood thinner does increase the chance of bruising and lengthen the time for blood to clot in case of a bleeding wound. If you are playing lead trumpet in the double high range, I suggest you consciously remind yourself not to use excessive mouthpiece pressure and do some experiment at home first. If minor bruising occurs after playing in your required range with reasonable mouthpiece pressure, stop. And it all depends on the dosage of the blood thinner. If the blood thinner is stopping you from playing the required range, talk to your doctor to see if the dosage can be adjusted. But I suspect he/she won't adjust it so early on post-operation.

As for your underlying heart condition, it should be improved after the stenting procedure. You may ask your doctor in another way, e.g. are you cleared to do some exercises, like jogging. If yes, what level of exercise is cleared (e.g. mild exercise only)? No doctor can judge this for you without knowing your detailed medical history and some proper examination. Your attending doctor is the best person to address this.

So, ask your doctor if you can exercise and at what level. If cleared for moderate exercise, then experiment at home in a gradual fashion if minor bruising occurs at your playing range. Do take it easy and step things up bit by bit.

Last edited by Zenith on Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one put in on Memorial Day 2018 and the Doctor said let it go for a week and then ease back into playing. I would listen to your good advice. If we start raising the BP the lights can go out any time. Good Luck going back to playing and enjoy it all!
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Stints and blood thinners Reply with quote

falado wrote:
Of course I will be asking my doctor about this when I see him this week.

This is the best course of action, of course. Talk to your doctor.

The issue is not just the stents, but WHY the stents were placed (ie, did you have a heart attack). So it may not be possible to compare notes with fellow trumpet players. Although YMMV, playing the trumpet is similar to moderate weight lifting and moderate metabolic activity. If you are restricted from these activities, you probably should keep your horn in it's case. See what your doctor says.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks everyone. The comments help. I'm playing, but if I push things a little I feel it. I will see my doctor tomorrow and I'm now armed with more questions, which is what I wanted. I did not have a heart attack. The blockages were found while looking for something else so this was not an emergency, though one blockage was more than 60%. I'm supposed to start some physical therapy soon too. The something else will be taken care of in 6 months. It seems my anatomy is backwards, aorta on the wrong side and enlarged, diverticulum on the wrong side pressing on the esophagus. I just hope the doc isn't experimenting. I did 22 years in the military, been extremely active and performing all these years and this was never an issue until I complained to my doctor about swallowing issues. Go figure.
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also take warfarin for a clotting condition. I echo all the above. Once your physician has cleared you for playing, yes, trumpet playing (or any wind instrument) is one of the best things you can do to maintain lung capacity. Once you can exercise again, get someone to help you with proper deep breathing using the diaphragm and intercostals for maximum capacity, breath control, and efficiency.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
I also take warfarin for a clotting condition. I echo all the above. Once your physician has cleared you for playing, yes, trumpet playing (or any wind instrument) is one of the best things you can do to maintain lung capacity. Once you can exercise again, get someone to help you with proper deep breathing using the diaphragm and intercostals for maximum capacity, breath control, and efficiency.

Hi and thanks, the doc gave me a go. I’m doing Claude Gordon’s SA and taking lessons with Jeff Purtle. Should he doing cardio rehab starting next week. Looks good, but will, deal with an aneurism late spring.
Dave
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: