• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adams Cornets

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am intrigued by the ringing harmonics of short cornets with sterling silver bells.... According to the Adams cornet home page on ACB

http://austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com/adams-custom-cornet/

the Adams CN1 and CN2 cornets are available with yellow brass and gold brass bells. But unlike other Adams horns, the stirling brass bells and red brass bells are not listed.

Do Adams cornets with sterling silver bells exist? Has anyone tried such a horn? Impressions?

Regards, Guido
deleted_user_c26dccb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-message deleted-

Last edited by deleted_user_c26dccb on Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an absolute beginner you gathered an impressive stable of hardware the last weeks. But I am not so sure that after two years of playing you are able to judge with which mouthpiece a horn is playable or not. I suppose an experienced pro is able to judge that after a few days of experimenting, maybe a few hours. I think that for you acclimatization to a certain mouthpiece can take a few months or more, maybe it will never happen.
BTW I own(ed) about 45 mouthpieces for trumpet, cornet and flügel and the one that I consider to be really the baddest designed mouthpiece of that bunch is the Wick 4B for cornet.
deleted_user_c26dccb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then. Funny that you automatically assume that it was me who decided that the mouthpieces and the cornet didn't work together. I you care to know; the person who I consulted for that is a professional cornet/trumpet player. And BTW, one of the mouthpieces (2b heavytop) didn't even fit the instrument... Even an absolute beginner could see that that wouldn't work.

I just tried to make a contribution to this forum. But I'll leave that to the experienced pro's from now on.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffTheMindReadingDog wrote:
Ok then. Funny that you automatically assume that it was me who decided that the mouthpieces and the cornet didn't work together. I you care to know; the person who I consulted for that is a professional cornet/trumpet player. And BTW, one of the mouthpieces (2b heavytop) didn't even fit the instrument... Even an absolute beginner could see that that wouldn't work.

I just tried to make a contribution to this forum. But I'll leave that to the experienced pro's from now on.

Stop crying, my post may sound more negative than it was meant to be.
I only have the idea that you are very enthusiastic but by that you overshoot a little bit.
First, it was a very good advice from your teacher to sell the A4 and change to the 8310Z. Though there are muliple variations possible with the A4 it's not really an instrument to start on especially not the lb (12 mm) version.
Second, the Adams cornet seems to be very beautiful and is probably also a good player. The Adams cornets are quite new I think so I never saw one in real life.
But I have problems with your statements about mouthpieces. I think it's more complicated than you think.
First, for a beginner but also for an amateur it's quite healthy not to change mouthpieces too easily, too fast and too often. Testing a bunch of mouthpieces in a shop has only VERY minor value. It can take weeks or months before you know: this one is OK.
A cornet mouthpiece that don't fit a cornet is NOT a cornet mouthpiece. Exceptions are very old cornets and their mouthpieces, certainly not modern ones. So your 2B heavytop is meant for something else than a cornet.
You deleted your post but you talked about a Sparx 3 and an Alliance 2B mouthpieces if I remember well. I thougt Alliance did not make heavy top cornet mp's, so? (Denis Wick makes a 2B heavy top for cornet but that is an enormous mouthpiece AND it should fit your cornet). Sparx uses the same sizes as Denis Wick so a Sparx 3 is as big as a DW 3, maybe also on the big side for you. Both brands are BTW excellent mouthpieces and I am 100% sure that they are very playable on an Adams cornet provided that you have the right size of the mouthpieces. I am afraid that you did not understand the pro you consulted in the right way, maybe only YOUR mouthpieces were not a good fit.
For your interest: a cornet mouthpiece has a smaller shank than a trumpet mouthpiece so they will not fit on each other. Flügelhorns have also other shanks, mostly considered three different ones, with a little bit of fantasy even 5 different shanks. So trumpet, cornet and flügel mouthpieces are not exchangeable!
So my advice should be: combine the 8310Z with the TA1 and stay with that for quite some time. Combine your Adams cornet with the Wick 4B and stay with that. You will some day encounter the limitations of the Wick 4B but that's not urgent now.
Or even better: try Yamaha pieces but first you have to know which size good be the right one for you and buy then an 11,13 or 14 trumpet (B cup) and cornet (E cup) mouthpiece of the same size. So an 11B4 with an 11E4, a 13B4 with a 13E4 or a 14B4 with a 14E, so you will have the same size on trumpet and cornet. And BTW, cornet mouthpieces are made in two variations: long- and short shank. I presume your Adams cornet will be playing better and with a better cornet sound with a short shank mouthpiece.
To give an example: I play on my trumpets a Yamaha 14B4 GP (heavy top), (but I am experimenting now with a 14D4), on cornets a 14E and on flügel a 14F. Makes life easier.

Last edited by delano on Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:18 am; edited 6 times in total
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the moderators please stop this thread now that the lectures and adolescent tantrums have started?
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuidoCorona wrote:
I am intrigued by the ringing harmonics of short cornets with sterling silver bells.... According to the Adams cornet home page on ACB

http://austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com/adams-custom-cornet/

the Adams CN1 and CN2 cornets are available with yellow brass and gold brass bells. But unlike other Adams horns, the stirling brass bells and red brass bells are not listed.

Do Adams cornets with sterling silver bells exist? Has anyone tried such a horn? Impressions?

Regards, Guido

Hi Guido,

I have one of these cornets and can give you some feedback. You have my email address. Go ahead and send me an email, and we can continue the conversation there, since it looks like this thread may be closed down.
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello DSTPT, Has been a spell since I posted here... Sure I'll email you directly... But I am also thinking that your experience with Adam silver belled cornets may be of interest to others.... So, how about you post here as well.

Saluti, Guido
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuidoCorona wrote:
Hello DSTPT, Has been a spell since I posted here... Sure I'll email you directly... But I am also thinking that your experience with Adam silver belled cornets may be of interest to others.... So, how about you post here as well.

Saluti, Guido

Sorry, I normally check the date(s) of these posts, but only saw the more recent ones on the 2nd page and your name at the top of the page, Guido. I'll give you a call shortly as you requested in your email to me a few minutes ago. I have not played any Adams cornets other than the one I have, which was gently used and in their Antique finish, so I really can't tell if it is yellow brass or gold brass. It plays darker than most cornets I've played, so I would guess gold brass, maybe? Regarding your other musings as to why they do not have sterling silver nor red brass bells listed as options for bell material, I would imagine that they'd honor those as special (non-refundable) requests. I have a Britannia silver (rimless) bell on my Eclipse Enigma, and it does light up in the room when played forte and beyond, but because it is a large bell (5.25"), it plays on the darker side when I'm playing softly. Some may feel that there are pros and cons to that much of a diverse tonal array in one horn. I, personally, am enjoying it! If Adams were to use red brass, then it might be too dark of a cornet sound (depending on mpc and blow of the player, of course).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: