• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Amazon mouthpiece convert

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Amazon mouthpiece convert Reply with quote

tempted to pick up a mouthpiece from Amazon and take it to a repair shop to get it altered to something I could actually use.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

??? Nobody is going to stop you
mdarnton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since they are cheap as dirt, I bought a few to experiment with, drilling them out, etc. Though they might look alike, there seems to be a real underlying inconsistency, in that some work great, some not at all. One had an entirely wrong taper. On the other hand, they are cheap as dirt. :-)
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one with an eye to modding but it was impossible .. cup was super shallow but the throat entrance was so wide & deep that I would need to add metal even for a deep bowl. True junk!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.....I guess. Personally I think that would be more trouble than it’s worth, with a less than great chance of a good outcome. Heck, you can buy a Bach 3C on Amazon for about 55.00, I would be more inclined to at least start with a decent mouthpiece. If I was going to do this....which I wouldn’t.😎

Brad
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have at. But I can't imagine sinking money into anything other than an already good piece that I'm trying to optimize.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Ok.....I guess. Personally I think that would be more trouble than it’s worth, with a less than great chance of a good outcome. Heck, you can buy a Bach 3C on Amazon for about 55.00, I would be more inclined to at least start with a decent mouthpiece. If I was going to do this....which I wouldn’t.😎

Brad

If you want to be more affordable, I have found the Blessing mouthpieces to be very nice playing pieces. I actually like the Blessing 3C better than the current Bach 3C and played on it for a while.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..because there's a lack of mouthpiece makers that know what they're doing???

don't waste your money..
Retired Air Force Bandsman
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partly I'm curious about taking a cheap mouthpiece and getting it altered into something I could use. Particularly the "heavy" mouthpieces. The risk becomes that because they are cheaply sold the specs would be disproportionate that correcting this would cost more purchasing a brand new Monette, GR, Best Brass, Giddings. I'm guessing my only loss would have been spending $15 on Amazon and $3.99 on shipping to my desired mouthpiece shop.
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find someone who's willing to attempt this at all, they're surely going to charge you for their time spent assessing the mouthpiece to work out the possibilities for improving it.

Mike
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Prestage wrote:
If you can find someone who's willing to attempt this at all, they're surely going to charge you for their time spent assessing the mouthpiece to work out the possibilities for improving it.

Mike

This.

Hey, if the OP wants to try this, have at it. I still think it will be an exercise in futility, but whatever!

Brad
jvand678
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the blank is only a tiny portion of the mouthpiece cost. Most of what you're paying for is the makers' expertise and time. Although it might sound fun, it will definitely cost you more than buying a mouthpiece you can actually use directly from the maker.

Best of luck.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJtpt31 wrote:
Partly I'm curious about taking a cheap mouthpiece and getting it altered into something I could use. Particularly the "heavy" mouthpieces. The risk becomes that because they are cheaply sold the specs would be disproportionate that correcting this would cost more purchasing a brand new Monette, GR, Best Brass, Giddings. I'm guessing my only loss would have been spending $15 on Amazon and $3.99 on shipping to my desired mouthpiece shop.

Understand that every time a pro mouthpiece shop modifies your piece that it's going to cost anywhere from $25 to $75 per modification. How many mods are you likely to try before you've out spent the cost of a Monette or a GR piece? And after any significant modification you'll have to pay to have it replated. Don't get me wrong, I have the greatest respect for the guys that do this well, and the price they charge is not at all unreasonable.

Just a suggestion, instead of trying to turn some cheap unknown mouthpiece into a player, why not buy into a modular system and experiment with different combination of rim, cup and back bore. The parts you don't like you can simply resell.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news - with two of those $5 faux Mega mouthpieces and a length of chain you have a dandy manrikigusari for your karate class.

I admit I purchase some of the cheap plastic mouthpieces to experiment with changing the rim. No need to re-plate.
'
I would, however suggest that a previous posters suggestion to go to a modular mouthpiece system gives you a lot of options and will get you closer to your ideal piece.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting feedback. It would be a neat experiment to see if an unbranded amazon heavy mouthpiece could be altered for use without costing nearly as much as some of the major brands like Monette, GR, Bob Reeves, GR. If the cost came close or exceeded purchasing a mouthpiece new from one of the mentioned brands than definitely not worth doing. Maybe another concern that was not mentioned is the quality of the metal that is being used by these unbranded mouthpieces?
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying something cheap, modifying it, sounds like a deal. It is not! You'll likely end up spending more money an another mouthpiece unless your goal is to learn how to modify them yourself. Then it's just the cost of learning. If you want to save money then put a little aside at a time until you have enough for the mouthpiece you want. Everything else is just a money pit. This is my opinion based on 57 years of experience.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: