• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Broadening The Vibrating Surface

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Broadening The Vibrating Surface Reply with quote

There was recently a video posted here in which Lynn Nicholson described/suggested broadening the vibrating surface to all the way across the cup as beneficial to producing high range. The primary emphasis of his suggestion was to increase the fullness of the sound.

Since I saw that video I've been focusing on this concept. What I'm finding is that this method makes it easier for me to produce my range. A lot easier. The primary reason seems to be that it reduces the tendency to pinch off the airstream compared to a less wide vibrating surface. I find that I'm steadily blowing through my embouchure and not even thinking about the possibility of pinching off the airstream.

This hasn't increased my range. It's just made the notes speak a lot easier, more reliably and with less effort.

Interesting stuff. I've rarely had a playing tip yield such an immediate and obvious benefit. I'm passing this along because we are here on TH to share information and to hopefully help others with our experiences. Has anyone else tried this method? Maybe it will be beneficial for you, too?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you consciously doing anything involving how mouthpiece pressure is applied for this?
If not any 'conscious doing', do you feel any mouthpiece pressure changes happening?

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most, playing "normal" notes, rim-to-rim vibrations are already occurring. It is not something you can improve upon if you are already doing it so its not something to be too concerned about.

Extremely high pitches can be played quite softly (and easily) with a tiny aperture. But these offer so much resistance that the air flow on each air pulse is not sufficient for a loud tone.

Resistance at the aperture is a liability to efficiency. So rim to rim lip vibrations contribute less flow resistance and more of the air power can become sound power.

But you still must put a quality tone into the instrument for the instrument tone resistance to be dominant. This is the key to efficiency for any note.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Are you consciously doing anything involving how mouthpiece pressure is applied for this?
If not any 'conscious doing', do you feel any mouthpiece pressure changes happening?

Jay

No mouthpiece pressure changes. My focus is in keeping the lower lip flat against the upper lip and keeping it firmly in position.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
No mouthpiece pressure changes. My focus is in keeping the lower lip flat against the upper lip and keeping it firmly in position.

---------------------------------------
Thank you for the additional information.
The lip position you've described seems very reasonable.
If anyone has the focus of 'squeezing their lips into a 'tight small aperture' (such as tightening lips around a drinking straw), they might benefit from trying a 'rim-to-rim' flat lip approach.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: