• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Found my lead, looking for an all around

View previous topic :: View next topic  
botahoratiu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Found my lead, looking for an all around Reply with quote

Hi
I finally found my lead piece after ... let's say ... 19 years. It seems that the Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead fits me best, and I tried a lot of mouthpieces. I like the rim, the resistance I get with my Eterna Bb. That bing said, I need an all around piece, because the sound of the Shew is too bright (although I like it a lot) for solos in church and small brass ensembles like quintets. I recently found out that a Yamaha 11B4 could do the job well enough, meaning the sound is very nice. But it takes too much air and the endurance and high register are suffering. Please don't advice me to get stronger on this last piece, because this is not what I am looking for. I just need a piece wich has roughtly the same resistance, same aproximative rim diameter and a tad deeper cup. The 11B4 seems to have too broad of a backbore.
My question is: do you hapen to know a mouthpiece that meets the above mentioned specs?
Thank you a lot!
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
in their standard serie, Marcinkiewicz 5 to 10 are very very very close rim wise than the Shew lead, with deeper cups (5 being a C cup, and the 10 being like a 3C cup depth)
Depending on what you want, you can order them in standard (27 throat, standard bb), or with a 26 throat & symphonic bb.
My classical mpcs ( Marcinkiewicz customs) have a 26 throat & symph bb.
best
botahoratiu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said before, any standard backbore feels too open for me
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, Marc. standard bb is too tight for me, as the standard 27 throat (even if my lead mpc has a 28 throat and the graduate C bb).
And this was not the case with the other mpcs i owned from Bach or Yamaha.

So, what the paper tells you, will not translate in reality with you.
I suggest then that you give a try to the "6 10 1/2" model, with the standard throat & bb
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
hello
in their standard serie, Marcinkiewicz 5 to 10 are very very very close rim wise than the Shew lead, with deeper cups (5 being a C cup, and the 10 being like a 3C cup depth)
Depending on what you want, you can order them in standard (27 throat, standard bb), or with a 26 throat & symphonic bb.
My classical mpcs ( Marcinkiewicz customs) have a 26 throat & symph bb.
best

The MMP Shew pieces (1, 1.25,1.5, 1.75, 2) have the same rim and are progressively deeper from 1 to 2. One of those might float your boat.
MiddleStaff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s what Yamaha has on their site for the Shrew Lead:
Rim Inner Diameter: 16.54㎜
Rim Contour: Semi-round
Rim Thickness: Semi-thick
Cup Depth: Very shallow
Throat: 3.56㎜
Backbore: Narrow

A close match (on paper) appears to be their Rod Franks model:
Rim Inner Diameter: 16.82㎜
Rim Contour: Semi-flat
Cup Depth: Standard
Throat: 3.91㎜

This might give you more warmth with the resistance you are used to with the openness of your Eterna.
Of course, try try try.
Your experience with their standard pieces confirmed my suspicion that the backbone is normally bigger than the Custom ones like your Shrew Lead.
Apologies as I understand your frustration that vendors don’t post exact specs, only generalized descriptions like “narrow”.
1972 Bach Strad model 180 with #37 bell
Yamaha YFH-631GS Flugelhorn
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a long time Yamaha mouthpiece player and the 11B4 is quite a tight mouthpiece, in fact meant for high trumpets. The throat is tight, the backbore semi-narrow like a lot of the Yamaha middle sized (I mean cups) pieces.
If the 11B4 is too open, with a too broad backbore and it needs too much air and both endurance and range are suffering then there is no solution for your wish. You could try a Warburton 6M cup with a very narrow backbore, 3,4 or 5, you'll have to try.
But I really don't think you will find a solution in any hardware, I'm afraid it's the player not the mouthpiece.

Last edited by delano on Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already suggested to botahoratiu in previous threads to try the Marc. Shew, but apparently he didn't.
What i can tell you for sure because i have these infos from Graham Middleton from Marcinkiewicz, is that Shew 1 & 1.25 have the graduate C bb (the more open of the graduate bbs), while the 1.5, 1.75 & 2 have standard bb and are tighter, which i had felt, reason why i asked for the same graduate C bb on my custom mpcs based on these models.

From my experience, Marcinkiewicz standard bbs feel tighter than in other brands.
That's why i suggested him to give a try to the Marcinkiewicz 5, 6 10 1/2, 7, 8, 9 or 10 standard serie mpcs.

Delano is right too, and if the above mpcs don't suit to botahoratiu, things will be more difficult.

I think then it'd be interesting for him to contact Dario Frate, since he's in Milano & botahoratiu in Romania. Dario has a lot of combinations to offer and do custom work now.
best
botahoratiu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried the Shew 1 and the Shew 1,5. The 1.5 seems a bit too open. It's hard to explain... it takes to much air. The Yamaha lead fits perfectly to me...just a bit too bright. I think I need the extra resistance from the backbore or from the throat. Also, I could be wrong.
botahoratiu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiddleStaff wrote:

This might give you more warmth with the resistance you are used to with the openness of your Eterna.
Of course, try try try.
Your experience with their standard pieces confirmed my suspicion that the backbone is normally bigger than the Custom ones like your Shrew Lead.
Apologies as I understand your frustration that vendors don’t post exact specs, only generalized descriptions like “narrow”.

What about the bigger throat of the Yamaga Rod Franks? Doesn't this mean that it tends to blow more open?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiddleStaff wrote:

The paper clearly doesn't tell the whole story. I've played both the Yamaha Shew Lead (briefly) and the Rod Franks (for a while). I don't recall anything similar between these pieces.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
MiddleStaff wrote:

The paper clearly doesn't tell the whole story. I've played both the Yamaha Shew Lead (briefly) and the Rod Franks (for a while). I don't recall anything similar between these pieces.

Quote:
. I love stats...it clears the room of everyone except trumpet players.
Jens Lindeman
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

horatiu,
the shew 1.5's bb is tighter than the shew 1.
I think you should write to Marcinkiewicz and explain your issue, they're very helpful and know their stuff.

Contact Dario Frate too, because he's in Italy so not too far from you. He has a multi-gap system that, in coordination with all the combinations he offers (rims, cups, throats, bbs) can solve your issue.

Why not try your mpcs with tighter horn, just to see how you feel with such combination ?
botahoratiu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
horatiu,
the shew 1.5's bb is tighter than the shew 1.
I think you should write to Marcinkiewicz and explain your issue, they're very helpful and know their stuff.

Contact Dario Frate too, because he's in Italy so not too far from you. He has a multi-gap system that, in coordination with all the combinations he offers (rims, cups, throats, bbs) can solve your issue.

Why not try your mpcs with tighter horn, just to see how you feel with such combination ?

I emailed Marcinkiewicz and have been informed that the Shew 1 and 1.25 have a tighter bacbore than the others from the Shew series.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who replied to you ?
The infos i got is that the Shew 1 & 1.25 have a GC (graduate C bb, the deeper cut in this serie, for a more open and free feeling) and the 1.5 & 1.75 & 2 have the graduate B bb (graduate standard bb).

And very important, this matches my feelings because i've never felt comfy blowingwise with these last mpcs. My custom mpcs based on these pieces had to be bb altered here by a tech that opened the bottom part of the bbs.

Currently, Marcinkewicz are altering my mpcs to get them the Shew 1 graduate C bb
botahoratiu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the emailI got:
"Hello Bota,

Thank you for your email.​ The 3 mouthpiece you listed do all share the same Rim and Throat dimensions.​ 

The E14 Shew 1 and the E10.3 Shew 1.25 both have the same backbore.​ The E9.1 Shew 1.5 has a slightly larger backbore, which is shares with the E8.4 Shew 1.75 and the E5 Shew 2.​ 

The main difference between all of the Shew mouthpieces in the cup depth.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Cheers,"
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

botahoratiu wrote:
I have tried the Shew 1 and the Shew 1,5. The 1.5 seems a bit too open. It's hard to explain... it takes to much air. The Yamaha lead fits perfectly to me...just a bit too bright. I think I need the extra resistance from the backbore or from the throat. Also, I could be wrong.

I hate to be rude, but this seems likely.

Look, "cruel to be kind" moment here - a mouthpiece safari is an easy enough trap to fall into at the best of times, but when you're looking for something that doesn't make sense then it's going to be difficult to find and it's probably not even a good idea to find it.

Honestly, as much as you don't want to hear it, if the response and sound are appropriate on the 11B4 then it could very well be the right tool for the job - don't expect it to be magically as good as your lead piece in that register, they're different tools for different situations and should be treated as such
Really, the 11B4 is leaning on the efficient side of "all round" to begin with - put a tighter backbore on that piece and you're going to have too much zing (and it will no longer do what you want it to do).
If an 11b4 is proving to be too much, then the only reasonable advice is to stop blaming gear, pick something that's comfortable, sounds good and put the shed work in.

I submit, respectfully, that a safari in this instance is likely to be throwing good money after bad - this isn't a situation you're going to solve with desperately scrabbling around for a piece that magically fixes this.

Last edited by TKSop on Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
botahoratiu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware of that too, thanks. I try too be open minded throught this experience. We'll see how it solves out.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think they wrote a mistake, 'cause they sent me this info
The E14 Shew 1 and E10.3 Shew 1.25 use the GC 28 backbore configuration
> >

> > The E9.1 Shew 1.5 and E8.4 Shew 1.75 use the GB 28 backbore configuration

> > The E5 Shew 2 uses the GB 27 backbore configuration

plus all the different bbs infos. A being the shallower cut (more resistance), B the standard, C the deeper cut (more open and free blowing)

And believe me these infos match my feelings
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mate,

There's so many factors at play, and even though I have been right where you are (YSL, wanting a bigger sound for standard playing) I can't really say what to try because I will play totally different to anyone besides myself!

Consider trying a few things, narrower/wider ID, C cup, V cup, all sizes of BBs etc... it's the same quest for sound you were on when you found the YSL for lead style playing.

The Ingram Lead 2 might be worth a look. Later if I remember I will compare mine to the YSL.

Maybe try the Marc pieces too. If a shop carries them.

Personally I find GR a great fit these days. I use a 62M and MX for everything. They have a good resistance, and whatever science they douse this with works. Maybe a 63 rim would be a good place to start as the YSL is a little wider than what I was used to. If you like flat rims get the e cup. I find this wider rim opens up the blow having compared back to back standard and e rim. I prefer the standard rim profile and higher resistance. Perhaps try a 63MS or S as the YSL is very shallow - you don't wanna get a bucket off the bat, primal for more resistance. 62 rim for even more resistance.

Good luck!
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: