• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Unknown trumpet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cavaliercontroll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Unknown trumpet Reply with quote

I have a trumpet that I can't find out what brand it is. the bell is too rusty to see the name and there is no other way to see the brand. can anyone identify this trumpet and where i can get valves for it?

thank you,

D.C.

shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown trumpet Reply with quote

cavaliercontroll wrote:
I have a trumpet that I can't find out what brand it is. the bell is too rusty to see the name and there is no other way to see the brand. can anyone identify this trumpet and where i can get valves for it?

thank you,

D.C.

I certainly could be wrong, but the mouthpiece receiver looks like an old Buescher I saw years back.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
cavaliercontroll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked it up but I can't find any models that look like mine, a lot of them have a water key on the 3rd valve tuning slide, or the tuning slide is on the opposite side.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the features look like Conn, but others don't.
cavaliercontroll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so do you think its a Frankenstein's monster of all trumpets?
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take a clear, well-focused closeup of the bell engraving, we might be able to decipher it. Or just wait long enough and someone will ID it with the picture you've given. Of note is the third valve crook is on the right instead of the left. That should narrow it down.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Orban

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometime you can fade out text make more clear with blackboard chalk.

Just try to help.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or wrap it in paper and use the side of a pencil’s lead to make an impression.
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kieiwerth, Conn, Buescher, York and some stencil horns had this configuration. The only way to know for sure is the engraving on the bell. This is known as an airflow design and the key element is that all three valves are identical and interchangeable in their respective valve casings.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting replacement valves for this trumpet would be nearly impossible. Having custom-made valves for it would cost far more than the trumpet could ever be worth.
Leeway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown trumpet Reply with quote

cavaliercontroll wrote:

thank you,

D.C.

I can confirm that this horn is definitely a trumpet.

Btw, cav, how did you manage to insert the image into you post?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown trumpet Reply with quote

Leeway wrote:
cavaliercontroll wrote:

thank you,

D.C.

I can confirm that this horn is definitely a trumpet.

Btw, cav, how did you manage to insert the image into you post?

If you look at the text when you quote his post you can find what you need to do to tell the forum software that you want to show a image. Then all you need to do is host the image on a public site and, based on posts I have read on here, sometimes the size of the picture causes issues.
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Harry Pedler trumpet shown here is a close match visually:

https://www.trumpet-history.com/The%20Harry%20Pedler%20Companies.htm

As said above, there's no realistic possibility of getting this horn playing again if you want the costs to be proportionate to its market value at the end. If it has particular significance to you (e.g. it belonged to a relative) then you do have options for replacing the valves. It will be expensive if you want the horn to end up fully playable, but potentially a lot cheaper if you'd be happy with it just looking complete for display purposes.

Mike
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown trumpet Reply with quote

cavaliercontroll wrote:

thank you,

D.C.

I just noticed that there are valve parts in the case. Are there enough parts to complete the horn, and have you tried to re-assemble it?
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like valve block is conn 4a small Bore Wonder cornet valve section. That’s if the view is 438. If the bore is 458 It’s another conn corner second generation bottom sprung cornet block. Not a trumpet block. Conn cornet
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost certainly an Elkart "Built by Buescher".

A trumpet valve block, with due respect to Doug. It is basically a Model 205 Aristocrat with some off-the-shelf parts instead of what would have came with an Aristocrat.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
thomasmarriott
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad had a Harry Pedler trumpet that looked just like that. I think they were Conn stencils and if memory serves it had bottom sprung valves. Could this be the issue? If the pistons are there, you might only need small parts to get it working. This horn also had an odd sized reciever.
Acludwig1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The receiver almost looks Holton to me but not quite the same.
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
Almost certainly an Elkart "Built by Buescher".

A trumpet valve block, with due respect to Doug. It is basically a Model 205 Aristocrat with some off-the-shelf parts instead of what would have came with an Aristocrat.

Tom

The OP's horn has distinctly Conn-like valve casings. I don't know that Beuscher didn't ever build any horns with these, but the Harry Pedler American Triumph certainly did have them. In terms of characteristics that are discernible from photos, the horn in the link I posted is identical to the OP's, with the possible exception of the bell-to-leadpipe braces. Other online photos of these horns show some variation in materials but braces that match the OP's horn. According to the linked source, Harry Pedler trumpets were designed by Gus Beuscher after he left the Beuscher company. My guess is the Conn-style casings were a deliberate departure from Beuscher design tradition, although that still doesn't explain why he copied another manufacturer!

Mike
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike is correct. That is a Harry Pedler American Triumph made by ART Manufacturing, the second foray into instrument making for both partners Harry Pedler and Gus Buescher.

Pedler was recruited to work for Conn by Wm Gronert in 1905. When Gronert left Conn, he took Pedler with him and they established the first Pedler company. After Gronert died, having transferred his holdings to Martin when he assumed the #2 role there in 1916, his share in the company passed to Martin's owner Oliver Basset, who later removed Pedler and his son from the company that carried their name. They united with Gus Buescher, who had likewise been pushed out of his company by AH Beardslee to whom he had sold it (and who then put it as a subsidiary of the student brand Elkhart, ruining its marketability), and established ART Manufacturing to build Conn-style instruments in the Pedler tradition in direct competition with Elkhart and Pedler.

It looks like all 3 pistons are there. The only challenge I see is finding the rather unique caps. Other than that, a good tech with an old shop should be able to get it running again. Should you, however, is another question given that it is a second tier horn from another time.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: