• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Single Trumpet Case Options

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Single Trumpet Case Options Reply with quote

Hi all,

After hauling a heavy Bach double case for a few months, I've decided it's time to swap it for a lighter single case for day to day needs. I've heard great things about the Torpedo cases, are there any other cases I should consider?

Inside the Torpedo lineup I'm conflicted on what would be the best option. The trumpet is being hauled around a music school, so some bumps and knocks are expected from rushing, carrying multiple things, busy hallways etc.

I've been looking between the Classic and the Outlaw. I like the lighter weight of the Outlaw, but wouldn't want to compromise too much on protection. Either way, both cases are pounds lighter than the double Bach case I'm using right now.

Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Gard single leather case and it's great. It basically is a leather bag but it offers the protection of a hard case. It comes with a shoulder strap and large accessory pocket.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been very happy with my single case from Bags of Spain. I don't see the model I have on their website today, but I would certainly consider the one I do see now: https://www.musical-bags.com/gb/trumpet/63-case-trumpet-basic.html

I was also considering the Torpedo Outlaw when I got the one from Bags of Spain, but decided against the Outlaw only because of its shape.

After viewing the video of the child smacking the Outlaw with a baseball bat, I concluded it was plenty protective. I just preferred the shape of the one I got.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Bags cases. I was first introduced to them in Italy and the person demonstrating it, with is clarinet in it, just threw it in the street. I subsequently got one for my alto sax.

Jerry - from what source did you get it? Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Torpedo Laredo in brown leather. I wouldn’t trust my trumpets in any other bag. The shoulder strap is wide and comfortable. They have some good videos on their site showing the abuse they can survive.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Jerry - from what source did you get it? Thanks.
I think I got it from the Berp website
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve used/use literally all the Torpedos for the past ten years. The differences between the Outlaw and Outlaw Loredo compared to the Classic, Peacemaker and Loredo is those last three have a hard shell, the Outlaw and Outlaw Loredo do not, they have a more flexible but still very protective plastic (I think) sheet between the outside of the case and inner padding. The Outlaws are also lighter, which to me is significant. Case weights are on the Torpedo website.

I use the Outlaw and Outlaw Loredo now, unless you plan on tossing your case into an equipment truck, checking it on a flight (GOD FORBID!) or dropping it, IMO the Outlaws are PLENTY protective. Normal bumps and even very slight (that’s SLIGHT) drops are generally not a problem. IMO, the Outlaw is very close to a gig bag in size and weight, but FAR more protective.
For what you describe, the Outlaw or Outlaw Loredo would be great choices.

Brad
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Torpedos and Bags of Spain cases are fantastic, but they are also expensive. If your Bach case provided adequate protection, I suggest you take a look at Protec. I have the ProPac contoured case and I love it. It is protective and lightweight. I can put the shoulder strap over my head and my arms are free to carry my accessories duffle and, if needed, my music stand.

The Protec ProPac contoured case can be had for $125 or less.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jerry

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Single Case Reply with quote

My go-to single is a gig bag that has protected my horns for about the last 20 years. It is the Altieri single gig bag with the "piccolo pocket." I can carry 4 or 5 mutes and a Spyder stand in the pocket and have never had any damage.
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice - it sounds like the Outlaw would be just fine for my needs. I'm not planning on doing any big drops - if the Outlaw can handle the moderately rough handling from music school then I would be happy to go with it and loose 3lb vs the Classic.

The Bags of Spain offerings also look pretty nice - it's hard to find the specs and cost of them online, but I think one of my nearby shops is a dealer. The cost isn't a big deal, since I'm expecting to use whatever case I end up with for a good while.

I'll call up the dealer to get some more info on the Bags of Spain cases. Otherwise, it seems like it's down to the Torpedo Outlaw vs Bags of Spain.

Altieri seems to be entirely reworking their brass bags and are not selling any bags in the interim, so unfortunately they seem to be out of the running.
djroos19

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the torpedo bags I would recommend the classic. I have the loredo which is just the classic in leather and while I personally don't like how the round case fits for me and is a little heavy for what I need (the loredo being heavier than the classic), you cannot beat it in terms of protection. I've been forced to gate check it on a plane and never really had to think twice or be nervous. I don't think I could say that about the outlaw.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djroos19 wrote:
For the torpedo bags I would recommend the classic. I have the loredo which is just the classic in leather and while I personally don't like how the round case fits for me and is a little heavy for what I need (the loredo being heavier than the classic), you cannot beat it in terms of protection. I've been forced to gate check it on a plane and never really had to think twice or be nervous. I don't think I could say that about the outlaw.

While I agree with much of the above, I would be EXTREMELY nervous gate checking even the Loredo or Classic. I guess you do what you have to do at the time, but I’ve flown with the Loredo, if you remove the mute bag and hold it inconspicuously when boarding, I’ve not had a problem with carrying it on.

Even though the harder shell Torpedos offer better protection against things like having stuff piled on top of the case, you still risk some airline employee opening the case and trying to put your horn back in incorrectly, or the airline losing it completely.

It’s a personal choice, but even though I used to think I needed the extra protection (and weight) of the Classic, Loredo or Peacemaker, for me the Outlaw and Outlaw Loredo are very adequate....and lighter.

Brad
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torpedo Outlaw on order, thanks for all the info everyone. I definitely won't be checking my trumpet on flights, so the Outlaw sounds perfect for my needs. I was torn between the leather and the nylon, but upon seeing that the leather weighted 2.5lb more the decision was obvious for me. The leather might add some additional protection, but it does seem to come with a significant weight penalty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: