• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sound differences of Yamaha 631 vs 731?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Sound differences of Yamaha 631 vs 731? Reply with quote

I've temporarily borrowed a flugel from a friend, but still thinking of buying one- used. The brand that is most often seen on the used market is Yamaha. Both the 631 and 731 get good reviews and seem to have similar construction. So how do they sound different from one another?

I am currently playing on a DEG Signature. It has a nice diffuse sound. I know of a used 731 coming on the market shortly. Soagain, what is the difference in sound?

Also, as an aside... I have a line on a Conn Vintage One flugel. How does that compare to the Yamahas?
Stanton Kramer "Signature" Mouthpiece
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

631 - lacquered, rose brass bell

731 - silver plated, yellow brass bell.

Horns are the same otherwise.
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
631 - lacquered, rose brass bell

731 - silver plated, yellow brass bell.

Horns are the same otherwise.

I sort of knew that, but wasn't sure. What are the sound differences, particularly between the rose and yellow brass?
Stanton Kramer "Signature" Mouthpiece
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the 731 when I was listening to a lot of big band and drum corp. I suspected then that the yello-brass bell would have better projection. While I haven't A/B'd them I suspect that the 631, all other things being equal, with it's rose-brass bell will tend to be warmer. That said the 731 with a deep piece like the Reeve HF cup will be plenty warm.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I bought the 731 when I was listening to a lot of big band and drum corp. I suspected then that the yello-brass bell would have better projection. While I haven't A/B'd them I suspect that the 631, all other things being equal, with it's rose-brass bell will tend to be warmer. That said the 731 with a deep piece like the Reeve HF cup will be plenty warm.

Exactly, I use a old 4 digit 731 with a Reeves 43F for big band and 43HF for solo/recording sessions and with the deep cup is a sweet melow flugel sound.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
cheiden wrote:
I bought the 731 when I was listening to a lot of big band and drum corp. I suspected then that the yellow-brass bell would have better projection. While I haven't A/B'd them I suspect that the 631, all other things being equal, with it's rose-brass bell will tend to be warmer. That said the 731 with a deep piece like the Reeve HF cup will be plenty warm.

Exactly, I use a old 4 digit 731 with a Reeves 43F for big band and 43HF for solo/recording sessions and with the deep cup is a sweet melow flugel sound.

Regards

I had a Reeves 42FE that I didn't think played or sounded appreciably different than the Yamaha 14F4. I just recently got a chance to play a 43HF and was really intrigued. Awesome sound, but may not work in all situations. My initial impressions lead me to believe that, like you, I'll probably want to use two different pieces. The Yamaha 14F4 for section playing and the Reeves HF-cup (either 42 or 43N, if/when I get one) for certain solo work.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always preferred the 731 over the 631. Better projection and access to more colors.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
giakara wrote:
cheiden wrote:
I bought the 731 when I was listening to a lot of big band and drum corp. I suspected then that the yellow-brass bell would have better projection. While I haven't A/B'd them I suspect that the 631, all other things being equal, with it's rose-brass bell will tend to be warmer. That said the 731 with a deep piece like the Reeve HF cup will be plenty warm.

Regards

I had a Reeves 42FE that I didn't think played or sounded appreciably different than the Yamaha 14F4. I just recently got a chance to play a 43HF and was really intrigued. Awesome sound, but may not work in all situations. My initial impressions lead me to believe that, like you, I'll probably want to use two different pieces. The Yamaha 14F4 for section playing and the Reeves HF-cup (either 42 or 43N, if/when I get one) for certain solo work.

For me is very important the throat of the piece , the Reeves F cup has a very tight for a flugel piece #24 bore that helps the horn to project and "survive" to high amplified environments, on the other side the HF cups has a "middle of the road" #20 bore that helps to balance the HUGE cup of the piece and aloud the player to manage this extreme mpc.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experince is that the 631's have a wonderfully warm sound, warmer than the 731's. Both play well, are easy to adjust to, but for tonal color I much prefer the 631's. There is something sterile in the Yamaha tone, for me though. In performance or on recordings, a lack of personality or feedback - something that ultimatley makes me look for a different Flugel.

The Conn Vintage One's are lovely horns too.

Between to two, it's a tough call.. the 631 is hard to pass on, you kinds can't go wrong with these (as long as the valves are good)-easy to pick up and play, warm tone, tune well, blend well..
The Conn's have a big warm sound, but a hint of an adjustment time, may take you a little bit of time to be "familiar" with the instrument to get the most out of them. (when you first pick it up, you may not be as impressed, but after playing it and getting used to it, it'll blossom)
Retired Air Force Bandsman
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What will you be using the flugelhorn for?

If you're going to be soloing extensively and want to find your one true "voice," search away.

If you need a flugel to play in a big band section, pit orchestra, etc, just buy the Yamaha. You'll never lose your seat in a section because the other players think you sound "sterile."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: