• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Fit a 1st slide ring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pablopiccasso
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Fit a 1st slide ring Reply with quote

I have a Getzen Severinson Bb trumpet and might like to fit a first valve slide trigger or ring. I see on eBay the rings can be had for a few dollars. I would have to solder a part to the slide.

Any pitfalls in doing this, or problems in use once done.?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trumpet-Slide-Metal-Slide-Ring-Pull-Ring-for-Trumpets-Cornets-Copper-Parts/123982948949?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3Dc40550110ccc49518be8d11505c507a0%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D123982948949%26itm%3D123982948949%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2045573&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042
mdarnton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a finger ring that you link to. Normally you'd keep your thumb in a first valve ring all the time and it becomes part of the left hand supporting grip. My trumpet has a thumb ring, which is larger than that, and still my normal-sized thumb get caught in it if I'm not careful. I don't think a finger ring in a thumb position would be too functional.

I'm sure that this is the kind of thing that a repair shop could add for you cheaply and neatly, with the right piece that would work, so why not let them do it right?
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdarnton wrote:
That's a finger ring that you link to. Normally you'd keep your thumb in a first valve ring all the time and it becomes part of the left hand supporting grip. My trumpet has a thumb ring, which is larger than that, and still my normal-sized thumb get caught in it if I'm not careful. I don't think a finger ring in a thumb position would be too functional.

I'm sure that this is the kind of thing that a repair shop could add for you cheaply and neatly, with the right piece that would work, so why not let them do it right?

Right. 1st the slides must be perfectly parallel and moving freely. My test is if you hold the horn vertically with the piston removed or depressed, the slide, clean and dry, should drop freely. I usually unsolder the op slides and reverse them so the outside is on the slide and the inside is attached to the horn, check alignment, and then solder a standard ring of saddle in position on the top outside slide. Before 1st thumb throws were common (my 1966 Bach) the repair person would fabricate a piece made of a ring or saddle and a piece of half-round rod, tapered on the end and curved to go over the slide bow where it would be soldered. That way the slides don't need to be reversed. You might also be able to get a trigger kit from Getzen through a dealer and have it mounted. My old Severinson came with a 1st trigger.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ring you showed is intended for use on the 3rd valve - there might be difficulty making it fit and operate properly on the 1st valve, and it would also look odd on the 1st slide.

Before doing any changes -
1) Does the 1st valve slide move easily and smooth enough? The slide might need to be adjusted to provide dependable operation.
2) For best operation of a 1st valve ring/saddle, the position of the ring should be directly 'in line' with both legs of the slide - that gives the best pressure location for in/out movement. Depending on how the tubes are aligned on your horn that might not place the ring in a comfortable place for your thumb.

I'd contact a repair tech about adding the ring - and have the tech order the part and install it. Having him install a ring that you provide can lead to trouble if there are any problems with the ring.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: