• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Intonation of LA Benge #5 vs #3 (vs YFH631)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Intonation of LA Benge #5 vs #3 (vs YFH631) Reply with quote

Years ago I had a Benge #5 but sold it after a focal dystopia chops melt-down. Even before that, the #5 seemed to have more intonation issues than I really liked dealing with. I know that flugelhorns can generally be more of a wrestling match to get them to play in tune. I'm finding that with a borrowed DEG Signature that I'm playing now. I'm thinking I want to buy another flugel, and my short-list is currently a Benge #3 and Yamaha 631. I'm only considering used, unless a super-tremendous deal shows up.

To boil down my question, will a Benge #3 play more easily in tune than the #5? I know how well they Benge were built, but have never played a #3 and have a line on 2 of them....

... But then there's the pesky Yamaha 631 that keeps popping up and seems to be de-rigeur with a lot of players I know.

So how does the Benge #3 compare to the #5 and then to the 631?

Stanton Kramer "Signature" Mouthpiece
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Benge 3 flugel is much more manageable in my experience. I couldn't play the 5 in tune. You are in the Chicago area, give Steve "Dr. Valve" Winans a call. I think he had a 5 when we were knocking around playing Latin gigs in the '70's.
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
The Benge 3 flugel is much more manageable in my experience. I couldn't play the 5 in tune. You are in the Chicago area, give Steve "Dr. Valve" Winans a call. I think he had a 5 when we were knocking around playing Latin gigs in the '70's.

Thanks for the reply...

As I said, I owned a 5, so I don't need any more information on that one. It's the 3 that I have no experience with. I would have thought there would be more recordings on YouTube.

Does anyone know the bore size of the #3? I find the DEG a little more work to play than my buddy's 631 that I got to try for a few seconds at a rehearsal. It felt pretty good, but not a good place to evaluate the sound nor try different MP's with.
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I played a model 3 for many years. I found that it had much better intonation than my friend's model 5. His sound was huge in comparison because of the blunderbuss bell though. With a factory added third valve slide the intonation was very manageable.
I have played the Yamaha 631 many times and it is a very good instrument. I finally ended my flugel quest with a 1970s Couesnon with a Yamaha 3rd valve trigger and a Melk leadpipe and valve alignment..
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uberopa wrote:
Hi,
I played a model 3 for many years. I found that it had much better intonation than my friend's model 5. His sound was huge in comparison because of the blunderbuss bell though. With a factory added third valve slide the intonation was very manageable.
I have played the Yamaha 631 many times and it is a very good instrument. I finally ended my flugel quest with a 1970s Couesnon with a Yamaha 3rd valve trigger and a Melk leadpipe and valve alignment..

Can you tell me about your Couesnon, what I should be looking for one in that brand? Also, what did Charlie charge you for the lead pipe?
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The leadpipe is the GR pipe for $100. As for the Couesnon, the sound was the key for me. I think the Yamaha trigger was around $100 installed. If the valve compression is good and the sound is sweet you may need to decide whether or not the slightly clunky valves and scale and slots are acceptable. Generally a used Yamaha 631 is a safer bet. My opinion only. I have a Yamaha 231 "student" flugel that I bought really cheap and had fun with it as a project. New Kanstul one piece bell, third valve slide ring and heavy extended bottom caps on one and three, lacquer stripped and valve alignment makes it very nice as an easy doubler with a sound close to the 631 and the Couesnon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: