• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yet another comeback player joining

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Yet another comeback player joining Reply with quote

I played french horn during high school in 1972/73. After that, I didn't touch a musical instrument of any kind until now. Free time due to retirement led me to trying cornet and trumpet recently. While I can't remember french horn fingerings, I can remember what practicing and learning was like. Lip strength and endurance is the limiting factor now. In 1972, I could increase arm strength noticeable by lifting weights for a few days. My body doesn't work quite the same now. Even back then, building lip strength for french horn took a long time. So I think it will take even longer now. I find if I practice too much, my lips don't fully recover in one day.
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH! It is easy to overdo when getting started. Consider a couple short practice sessions a day instead of a single longer one, and resist the temptation to spend too much time on increasing range in the upper register. Investing in some face-to-face or online lessons in order to get a good start might be something for you to consider.. Best wishes!
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Lessons Reply with quote

My first suggestion is to find a trumpet/cornet teacher.
Yamaha 11 e4 cornet mouthpiece
Yamaha 9e cornet mouthpiece
Bach 5 B cornet mouthpiece
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH.
My recommendation is to enjoy yourself. That said, hard work can be enjoyable. I am in my mid 60s, and I still find that exercise has the ability to give me more strength, so I would not completely count that out. Moderation in that and trumpet playing is one key.

I second the recommendations for getting a teacher, either online or live. You can learn a lot on your own, but sometimes you wind up learning wrong and have to undo stuff. Better to do it right the first time. (I know this from experience).

Have fun, play a lot of stuff that is easy for you at first, listen to a lot of players and find ones you like the sound of. Find your sound.

I look forward to hearing about your progress.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another comeback player joining Reply with quote

Beyond16 wrote:
I find if I practice too much, my lips don't fully recover in one day.

I'm a comeback player, too. I put the horn down for about 20 years before picking it up again a few years back.

I had the same problem. At first, I tried to play like I was in my prime. As others pointed out, a number of short practices is good advice. In addition, I try to never play to exhaustion, and always put the horn down with some gas left in the tank.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: