• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Summer Music Camps

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Trumpet Workshop with Bob Baca Reply with quote

https://www.shelllakeartscenter.org/trumpet-workshop-with-robert-baca

Matt Mealy
Matt Stock
John Raymond
Bill Bergren
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rafael Mendez Brass Institute (for all brass) is a great week in Denver! This year the dates are July 7-13.

Trumpet faculty include Joe Burgstaller, John Marchiando, Ronald Romm, Alan Hood, and David Hickman.

Daily master classes, career seminars, small ensemble rehearsals, student concerts, faculty recitals, and a finale concert by the Summit Brass.

The Mendez family is providing $500 scholarships for each student. Apply right away! Everyone is accepted. Go to:

www.MendezBrassInstitute.com
freimers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New England Music Camp in Maine is an excellent summer camp. It has evolved into a full year arts and music center, Snow Pond Center for the Arts, filling the gap to provide music education that has disappeared from public schools. They have summer camp for adults at the end of the summer. Local schools and colleges partner with Snow Pond. Their concert series, particularly in the summer at their outdoor amphitheater, is great. It is on a beautiful lake in Maine, with a lot of fun activities. I spent a summer as a counselor at NEMC years ago and got lessons from Sidney Mear from Eastman. He also took me sailing one day. Memorable experience.

https://snowpond.org/
Getzen 4-Valve Flugelhorn
pianowillbebach

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lebanon Valley College, West Chester University, and Blue Lake
alanjhood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Rafael Mendez Brass Institute Reply with quote

Try the Rafael Mendez Brass Institute some summer!!!
http://www.mendezbrassinstitute.com/
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Australians,

Harrietville Music Camp, 10th to 19th January 2020.

https://whitehorseorchestra.org.au

Sectional tutorials, Full Orchestra, String Orchestra, Wind Symphony, Big Band, Student group concert, Big Band night in local pub, Final concert in nearby town.

Regards, Stuart.
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to major bushfires in the region the Music Camp has been cancelled.

Regards, Stuart.
p.murphy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:50 pm    Post subject: Kinhaven Senior Session 2022 Reply with quote

If you’re an advanced high school trumpet player interested in brass chamber music and orchestra music, please do consider the Kinhaven Music School in beautiful Vermont! Our “Senior Session” will be open again this summer and runs from late June through early August each summer—it is life changing.

I’ve been privileged to teach the trumpet studio at Kinhaven Senior Session for the past 10 years. While we have an outstanding track record—Kinhaven trumpet alumni in recent years have gone on to Juilliard, Oberlin, the Manhattan School of Music, Smith College, and Harvard—the truth is, we aim to be cooperative—not competitive. Kinhaven is all about developing great human beings through music, and the collaborative environment at Kinhaven encourages camaraderie and community. Our trumpet class is intimate—I typically have only 4 students each summer. Trumpet class happens each morning, followed by chamber music rehearsals. Afternoons are spent enjoying the beautiful campus and all that the amazing nature of Vermont has to offer. Evenings are spent rehearsing large orchestra pieces—in recent years we’ve played everything from Bernstein’s Westside Story, to Pines of Rome, to Mahler, to the Rite of Spring. If you’re interested in applying to Kinhaven, it’s easy to fill out an application and submit an audition video online, or you can check out our live auditions as well. I’m happy to speak with any potential students or their private lesson teachers who might have additional questions.

https://kinhaven.org/senior-session/

Paul Murphy
joshlawrencejazz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you know after my first summer directing the Interlochen Jazz Camp. We'll have a great faculty.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems that Jazz at Umbria will be up and running, again, so - -

For those interested in improvisatory learning, I can't recommend Jazz at Umbria Berklee College of Music workshops in Perugia, Italy, enough.

Anyone interested, you can read https://www.berklee.edu/berkleeontheroad/berklee-in-italy
and research it further, so I will try not to be redundant.

The Berklee Workshops are for all ages and levels and use members of the regular Berklee faculty. The referenced material details this. Students are from all over the world. I met mainly Americans, Italians and German/Austrians.

Personally, I met a lot of friends, had a good time playing with colleagues of the same level and enjoyed the auxiliary courses and lectures, like Al Jarreau or Elvin Jones.

For me, a real bonus of the way this program is put together, is that it runs concurrently with the Umbria Jazz Festival. You have classes during the day and are free to attend Festival concerts (with discount) in the evening. https://www.umbriajazz.it/

I've been five times. Wonderful weather, great ambiance, jazz performance during the day and jazz listening in the evening, chillin' and pulchritude.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
HelenaMaria

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very good idea. I want to see the final list.

Last edited by HelenaMaria on Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing a new thing since the demise of the Aebersold Summer Jazz Workshops. We piloted a very successful week last year. This year we have a week in June scheduled that is full with students. We are currently open for enrollment in a second week, July 31-August 6. Jazz Improv focused retreat sessions for a small number of adult learners. approximately 4:1 student to faculty ratio. You can see more at jazzretreats.com

http://www.jazzretreats.com/

P
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ending of the Aebersold clinics was pretty sad. When I lived in Europe, I attended yearly the Berklee at Umbria Jazz Workshops in Italy. These workshops were packed with students of many disciplines, ages and skill level.

Why can't we do this in our Art form's own native land? Learn more about your craft/hobby and support America's native Art form by attending a workshop/camp.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trumpetsplus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am conducting a Masterclass (in English) in Gutenstein, Austria August 21-27. This is aimed at the recreational player. Coaching topics will include

My trumpet and me: interfaces between the player and the trumpet

The trumpet as a singing voice, lyrical aspects of trumpet playing and the importance of melody

The trumpet’s role: symphony to jazz, folk to rock - moving beyond the mathematics of musical notation towards the making of music

Participants are also welcome to draw upon my knowledge about the workings of a trumpet that I have gained as a trumpet designer and builder. https://www.meisterklassen-gutenstein.com/trumpet-2023
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how I missed this thread over the years - I was on here all the time in 2005.

I looked today to see if the Rocky Mountain Summer Music Camp in Fort Collings, Colorado is still going, but sadly it seems to be defunct, at least as a whole band camp. There are some other things going - percussion and strings seem to have some offerings there, and there is a CSU trumpet day during the school year, but the mid July camp is no longer.

I wonder when it stopped, or what the reasons were for pulling the plug on it. The three summers I went - 86, 87 and 88 - were magical for me for a few reasons. One, I learned A TON when I was there. I also built lifelong friendships - I still maintain contact with a few people I met during my summers there. It also let me play in some really good ensembles with other good HS musicians.

I think though that the most important thing for me personally was that it gave me affirmation that I was doing something good. I came from a small town in SW Nebraska where sports were everything, and you couldn't rise up to any kind of popularity if you weren't an athlete, and even then it was only the local athletic stars who truly excelled.

I walked into my first year of band camp where at home socially I was kind of an afterthought, and all of a sudden, boom! I was 1st chair in the 2nd band - didn't make the honor band that year, but with kids in my age group, i was ahead of the curve - and I was popular because I was a good player.

All of a sudden I was seen as who I really was, and that was valued by the people there. That by itself was wonderful because it gave me the confidence to continue on the path I had chosen toward becoming a working musician in a town where being an aspiring HS musician wasn't valued or respected at all.

I think every young kid who enjoys playing music should go to a band camp at least once for the reasons I talked about above.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan-nice emphasis.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: