• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

our great friend lex samu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: our great friend lex samu Reply with quote

lex has been gone this year and a half but in the fullness of time some remarks are in order.
lex was the typical alternative type personality as the rest of us but that doesn't begin to describe the situation. his quests were brilliant flashes of madness. he was trying to play the extreme register, darkly. he had downsized to minute mouthpieces, and played them well, to cope with professional demands. his flugel piece was likewise small, and beyond that was ordered as a two piece, with the shank then partially unscrewed to introduce air into the playing stream and give a breathy or darker tone or to that effect.
words fail in getting some idea of the hole he had torn in physical reality. this subject has to be put another way. in early august, 2018, i posted a thread comparing developing the embouchure muscles to weight training the major muscles. lex as usual jumped in. in his usual flash of brilliance he cut through the matter and provided the essential resource i needed for kettlebell training. since that point training has been vastly enhanced for me. he did this offhand good deed having only hours of life, the day before he went. psychic people do this. my late wife would also answer the question you had not yet asked.
i remember him and his immense good will fondly. there's a reason they play exuberant jazz at new orleans funerals. we can only imagine what he is machinating on the other side.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen. Lex was a sweetheart. We had a few lengthy email exchanges, and his alternate approach was refreshing to hear. He was always mega positive, and supportive. That dude had a big heart. Miss ya, Lex. I had made a mouthpiece for him, but due to my own forgetfulness I had never sent it to him. I regret that I never got to show him my appreciation.

Best,
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said chuck in ny! We are better for having had the experience of Lex and his way! Very much missed, never forgotten!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lex was a cat man. That's all I need to know. Thank you Mark Twain.
http://www.twainquotes.com/Cats.html

RIP, Lex.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reminding Lex.
In peace and Light be he
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: