• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is the best Carol brass all around trumpet?



 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tro.sy
Regular Member


Joined: 30 Apr 2019
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: What is the best Carol brass all around trumpet? Reply with quote

What is the best Carol brass all around trumpet?
Do you recommend me to buy?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 24 Dec 2018
Posts: 980
Location: Endwell NY USA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging strictly by the illustration and written description - for an 'all around' trumpet, the CTR-5060H-GSS-Bb-L appears to meet the criteria. It is 'standard' in materials, bracing, size, etc.

If you have the opportunity, first try a Bach 180-37 (a good 'standard of comparison' for an 'all around' trumpet).

Then try the various CB models and determine which CB is most similar to the Bach. I would first try the CTR-5060H-GSS-Bb-L, and then other CB models if necessary.

YOU will have to make the decision of whether some model of CB is an adequate alternative to the Bach. I don't think anyone is going to 'recommend' that you buy a particular trumpet - that's for you to decide.

CB site - http://www.carolbrass.com/product.php?i=506

Jay
_________________
King Super 20 (S2 1048, HN White)
Bach 7
The 'next note' is the most important one.
Don't take a '20 minute mouthpiece' to a 1 hour session.
Looking out my backdoor
http://www.pronetisp.net/~jkosta/2020_May_31_web.jpg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Veteran Member


Joined: 30 Jan 2018
Posts: 472
Location: East Asia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay's right that the 5060 is their main all-around trumpet. (I have two versions of the 506, the predecessor trumpet.) That said, the 4000 is their step-up trumpet (could be good for a student) and the 5000 is their jazzier trumpet, which I've sometimes heard is their most popular. With Carol, part of their pitch is that they off lots of variations, and I've tried a mix of their trumpets. I liked their heavier, symphonic style trumpet, and also the kind of funky balanced and euro bell trumpets.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Posts: 593

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many various models... Many I haven't tried. For me, the triple shepherds crook cornet is hard to beat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tro.sy
Regular Member


Joined: 30 Apr 2019
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Judging strictly by the illustration and written description - for an 'all around' trumpet, the CTR-5060H-GSS-Bb-L appears to meet the criteria. It is 'standard' in materials, bracing, size, etc.

If you have the opportunity, first try a Bach 180-37 (a good 'standard of comparison' for an 'all around' trumpet).

Then try the various CB models and determine which CB is most similar to the Bach. I would first try the CTR-5060H-GSS-Bb-L, and then other CB models if necessary.

YOU will have to make the decision of whether some model of CB is an adequate alternative to the Bach. I don't think anyone is going to 'recommend' that you buy a particular trumpet - that's for you to decide.

CB site - http://www.carolbrass.com/product.php?i=506

Jay


unfortanetly i cant try them. I live in a small city and i can only order from the internet :/
I was also considering Bach 37. In your opinion what is better?
Now i am considering Bach 37 used or Carol Brass 5060H_GSS Bb-L
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brad361
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 6564
Location: Houston, TX.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tro.sy wrote:
JayKosta wrote:
Judging strictly by the illustration and written description - for an 'all around' trumpet, the CTR-5060H-GSS-Bb-L appears to meet the criteria. It is 'standard' in materials, bracing, size, etc.

If you have the opportunity, first try a Bach 180-37 (a good 'standard of comparison' for an 'all around' trumpet).

Then try the various CB models and determine which CB is most similar to the Bach. I would first try the CTR-5060H-GSS-Bb-L, and then other CB models if necessary.

YOU will have to make the decision of whether some model of CB is an adequate alternative to the Bach. I don't think anyone is going to 'recommend' that you buy a particular trumpet - that's for you to decide.

CB site - http://www.carolbrass.com/product.php?i=506

Jay


unfortanetly i cant try them. I live in a small city and i can only order from the internet :/
I was also considering Bach 37. In your opinion what is better?
Now i am considering Bach 37 used or Carol Brass 5060H_GSS Bb-L


IF you’re looking at a new 37, or a used Carol, with no return policy on either (which I would be very careful of), I would go with the Bach. Opinions vary, but generally you can’t go wrong with a Bach 37, plus it will have much better resale value.

Brad
_________________
"I always try, but not always, because the horn is mercy-less, unpredictable and traitorous." - Arturo Sandoval
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 24 Dec 2018
Posts: 980
Location: Endwell NY USA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tro.sy wrote:
unfortanetly i cant try them. I live in a small city and i can only order from the internet :/
I was also considering Bach 37. In your opinion what is better?
Now i am considering Bach 37 used or Carol Brass 5060H_GSS Bb-L

-------------------------------------------
What trumpet are you using now?
Does it have any problems or 'features' that make it unsatisfactory?
What benefit do you hope to obtain with a different trumpet?
Are there any other brands of trumpet available in your area for you to test before buying?

For me, my 'good trumpet' is a pro model King Super 20 that I have owned for more than 50 years.
Last year I bought a used inexpensive student model trumpet (Blessing B-127) to use in situations where I felt there is a chance that a trumpet might be damaged.
The student model trumpet works fine, and the playable range is the same as my 'good' horn.
The sound 'quality' of the student horn might be slightly less, but it would require a listener who is trying to hear 'the sound' and not 'the music'.
I do not think that my playing ability is any less (or better) on the student model than on the pro horn.

I DO get more pleasure playing my good horn - partly from 'pride of ownership', and mostly because of my long history with it.

Jay
_________________
King Super 20 (S2 1048, HN White)
Bach 7
The 'next note' is the most important one.
Don't take a '20 minute mouthpiece' to a 1 hour session.
Looking out my backdoor
http://www.pronetisp.net/~jkosta/2020_May_31_web.jpg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grune
Regular Member


Joined: 04 Mar 2019
Posts: 65

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am uber impressed with the Carol Brass Balanced model I trialled last year. Excellent build quality, comfortable to hold, easy to play, and had a great sound with a Bach 3C and even better with 1.5C. For me, it is an excellent all-round horn.

example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i9FEn5-4X0
_________________
Bach Stradivarius, 180S37 (Silver Model 37 Bb), ML75618, purchased new in 1972.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ozzbo
Regular Member


Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 93
Location: New York

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a 1st generation Carol Legend Heavy (currently CTR-7660L-GSS-SL)
or 15 yrs and use it regularly in a professional level in all settings.

It has never let me down and regularly gets compliments on looks and sound. I've even been offered good $$ for it after a gig !!

I cannot attest to the new crop of Legend Heavy horns, but the older ones are wickedly good.

Ozzy Cardona
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ozzbo
Regular Member


Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 93
Location: New York

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a 1st generation Carol Legend Heavy (currently CTR-7660L-GSS-SL)
or 15 yrs and use it regularly in a professional level in all settings.

It has never let me down and regularly gets compliments on looks and sound. I've even been offered good $$ for it after a gig !!

I cannot attest to the new crop of Legend Heavy horns, but the older ones are wickedly good.

Ozzy Cardona
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ozzbo
Regular Member


Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 93
Location: New York

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a 1st generation Carol Legend Heavy (currently CTR-7660L-GSS-SL)
or 15 yrs and use it regularly in a professional level in all settings.

It has never let me down and regularly gets compliments on looks and sound. I've even been offered good $$ for it after a gig !!

I cannot attest to the new crop of Legend Heavy horns, but the older ones are wickedly good.

Ozzy Cardona
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Uniquetrumpet
Veteran Member


Joined: 20 Jul 2006
Posts: 182
Location: NYC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I had 4 of their trumpets and their pocket trumpet. They were all excellent! My favorite was the 8060 Balanced Model......with the All Bronze model and the Blackhawk a close second. I made a short video comparing them.

https://youtu.be/4JJ4vdn83PI

Since then they have come up with so many models as well as giving you the option to customize.

You cant go wrong with these horns.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grune
Regular Member


Joined: 04 Mar 2019
Posts: 65

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uniquetrumpet wrote:
A few years ago I had 4 of their trumpets and their pocket trumpet. They were all excellent! My favorite was the 8060 Balanced Model......with the All Bronze model and the Blackhawk a close second. I made a short video comparing them.

https://youtu.be/4JJ4vdn83PI

Since then they have come up with so many models as well as giving you the option to customize.

You cant go wrong with these horns.


a good video!
_________________
Bach Stradivarius, 180S37 (Silver Model 37 Bb), ML75618, purchased new in 1972.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
billm67
Regular Member


Joined: 13 Jun 2014
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 5060H in silver a month ago. I was playing a Getzen 400 series horn and I love my Carol Brass Horn. My son is playing in college and he has a Bach 37. He says my Carol Brass horn is very similar to his Bach and that the valves in my 5060 are better (now that they are broken in). The horn has a very rich sound and and slots very well (I am using the D shaped tuning slide). The round tuning slide gives the horn a slightly different character with the slotting opening up a little but the horn is also more free blowing. They also come with a nice usable case. I am a comeback player and have been playing for the last 6 months after a 35 year break. I am starting to play with a local town band next week and feel the 5060h will be a great horn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grune
Regular Member


Joined: 04 Mar 2019
Posts: 65

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thomannmusic.com/carol_brass_ctr5000lystbbl.htm

give it a try?
_________________
Bach Stradivarius, 180S37 (Silver Model 37 Bb), ML75618, purchased new in 1972.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group