• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is the best Carol brass all around trumpet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tro.sy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: What is the best Carol brass all around trumpet? Reply with quote

What is the best Carol brass all around trumpet?
Do you recommend me to buy?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging strictly by the illustration and written description - for an 'all around' trumpet, the CTR-5060H-GSS-Bb-L appears to meet the criteria. It is 'standard' in materials, bracing, size, etc.

If you have the opportunity, first try a Bach 180-37 (a good 'standard of comparison' for an 'all around' trumpet).

Then try the various CB models and determine which CB is most similar to the Bach. I would first try the CTR-5060H-GSS-Bb-L, and then other CB models if necessary.

YOU will have to make the decision of whether some model of CB is an adequate alternative to the Bach. I don't think anyone is going to 'recommend' that you buy a particular trumpet - that's for you to decide.

CB site - http://www.carolbrass.com/product.php?i=506

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay's right that the 5060 is their main all-around trumpet. (I have two versions of the 506, the predecessor trumpet.) That said, the 4000 is their step-up trumpet (could be good for a student) and the 5000 is their jazzier trumpet, which I've sometimes heard is their most popular. With Carol, part of their pitch is that they off lots of variations, and I've tried a mix of their trumpets. I liked their heavier, symphonic style trumpet, and also the kind of funky balanced and euro bell trumpets.
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many various models... Many I haven't tried. For me, the triple shepherds crook cornet is hard to beat.
Tro.sy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Judging strictly by the illustration and written description - for an 'all around' trumpet, the CTR-5060H-GSS-Bb-L appears to meet the criteria. It is 'standard' in materials, bracing, size, etc.

If you have the opportunity, first try a Bach 180-37 (a good 'standard of comparison' for an 'all around' trumpet).

Then try the various CB models and determine which CB is most similar to the Bach. I would first try the CTR-5060H-GSS-Bb-L, and then other CB models if necessary.

YOU will have to make the decision of whether some model of CB is an adequate alternative to the Bach. I don't think anyone is going to 'recommend' that you buy a particular trumpet - that's for you to decide.

Jay

unfortanetly i cant try them. I live in a small city and i can only order from the internet :/
I was also considering Bach 37. In your opinion what is better?
Now i am considering Bach 37 used or Carol Brass 5060H_GSS Bb-L
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tro.sy wrote:
JayKosta wrote:

Jay

unfortanetly i cant try them. I live in a small city and i can only order from the internet :/

Deleted

Last edited by Brad361 on Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tro.sy wrote:

-------------------------------------------
What trumpet are you using now?
Does it have any problems or 'features' that make it unsatisfactory?
What benefit do you hope to obtain with a different trumpet?
Are there any other brands of trumpet available in your area for you to test before buying?

For me, my 'good trumpet' is a pro model King Super 20 that I have owned for more than 50 years.
Last year I bought a used inexpensive student model trumpet (Blessing B-127) to use in situations where I felt there is a chance that a trumpet might be damaged.
The student model trumpet works fine, and the playable range is the same as my 'good' horn.
The sound 'quality' of the student horn might be slightly less, but it would require a listener who is trying to hear 'the sound' and not 'the music'.
I do not think that my playing ability is any less (or better) on the student model than on the pro horn.

I DO get more pleasure playing my good horn - partly from 'pride of ownership', and mostly because of my long history with it.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
grune

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am uber impressed with the Carol Brass Balanced model I trialled last year. Excellent build quality, comfortable to hold, easy to play, and had a great sound with a Bach 3C and even better with 1.5C. For me, it is an excellent all-round horn.

example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i9FEn5-4X0
Ozzbo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a 1st generation Carol Legend Heavy (currently CTR-7660L-GSS-SL)
or 15 yrs and use it regularly in a professional level in all settings.

It has never let me down and regularly gets compliments on looks and sound. I've even been offered good $$ for it after a gig !!

I cannot attest to the new crop of Legend Heavy horns, but the older ones are wickedly good.

Ozzy Cardona
Uniquetrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I had 4 of their trumpets and their pocket trumpet. They were all excellent! My favorite was the 8060 Balanced Model......with the All Bronze model and the Blackhawk a close second. I made a short video comparing them.

https://youtu.be/4JJ4vdn83PI

Since then they have come up with so many models as well as giving you the option to customize.

You cant go wrong with these horns.
grune

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uniquetrumpet wrote:
A few years ago I had 4 of their trumpets and their pocket trumpet. They were all excellent! My favorite was the 8060 Balanced Model......with the All Bronze model and the Blackhawk a close second. I made a short video comparing them.

https://youtu.be/4JJ4vdn83PI

Since then they have come up with so many models as well as giving you the option to customize.

You cant go wrong with these horns.

a good video!
billm67

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 5060H in silver a month ago. I was playing a Getzen 400 series horn and I love my Carol Brass Horn. My son is playing in college and he has a Bach 37. He says my Carol Brass horn is very similar to his Bach and that the valves in my 5060 are better (now that they are broken in). The horn has a very rich sound and and slots very well (I am using the D shaped tuning slide). The round tuning slide gives the horn a slightly different character with the slotting opening up a little but the horn is also more free blowing. They also come with a nice usable case. I am a comeback player and have been playing for the last 6 months after a 35 year break. I am starting to play with a local town band next week and feel the 5060h will be a great horn.
grune

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thomannmusic.com/carol_brass_ctr5000lystbbl.htm

give it a try?
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older thread, but I purchased two Carol trumpets some time back; the 5060 model with reversed leadpipe, and the 6280 (which I'd had before) with its standard configuration. I specifically wanted the 6280, but a TH guy offered me the 5060 at a great price and I went for it. What shocked me was how well the 5060 played. Phenomenal horn - and mine had a sterling-silver leapipe, which I thought added a little zip to an already popular model. The Carol 5060 is a great model from Carol; just one more fine horn at a great price... It's a hard combo to beat.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Wichita Band Instrument Co. still offer trials through the mail? Do any other companies offer this?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike ansberry wrote:
Does Wichita Band Instrument Co. still offer trials through the mail? Do any other companies offer this?

wwbw.com does.
Kessler & Son does but I think it's only for three days, so pay attention.
Check on it but ACB might. I don't know if it's for "preferred customers" or everybody.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
donovan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to self promote, but my company does too.
Website is still a work in progress but is getting better every day.
erniewilliamson.com
TwinCitiesTrumpets

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject: CarolBrass question Reply with quote

I sent you a PM. We can chat about what you're hoping to get out of a "best overall" trumpet.
Authorized Dealer of CarolBrass Instruments

CarolBrass CTR-6280L-GSS Bb trumpet
Kanstul French Besson Classic Bb trumpet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: