• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 7D Mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Bach 7D Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hello All! I'm a comeback player & I've been narrowing down mouthpieces that seem to work for me. Using a Curry 8.5C & believe it or not I'm back to my old 7C! (Had it bored out ever so slightly). Looking further, I came across a description of the Bach 7D as follows...Cup: Medium Shallow; Cup Diameter: 16.20mm. A shallower cup than the7C, designed principally for D trumpet but used successfully where great brilliance and easy high register are required. So same dimensions as the 7C, but just a bit shallower. Anyone have any experience with this mouthpiece? THANKS!!!
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't trust the Bach mouthpiece manual to be accurate/consistent in what it says.

The rim shape is different to the 7C.
The inner diameter is (depending on the era) usually noticeably smaller.
The backbore is different (tighter).

Honestly, if your 7C is working well then put everything else away and practice - unless you have specific goals from changing and your playing is sufficiently consistent to begin with, there is no point switching and good reason not to.
By sufficiently consistent - I'm basically saying if you're not "in practice" definitely don't go changing mouthpieces... and if you're still making significant progress (either as a student for the first time or as a comebacker still noticeably making improvements) then don't change mouthpieces.

Think of mouthpiece changes as fine-tuning for advanced players - the differences for most players (as long as what you're using to begin with is sensible) are simply not worth chasing after and can infact be counterproductive.
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, and I am in comeback mode & making good progress with my old 7C. I guess just reading the description about the 7D, & knowing (I think) that a shallower mouthpiece will aid the high register, that it might help. This especially since it's not too shallow.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're still making good progress then keep at it with the 7C - diligent practice on a mouthpiece that you're used to will make quicker high register progress than switching to something shallower.

At any rate, shallower doesn't really help with range, it helps more with endurance and accuracy... but only when the mechanics are right already.

It might not be "too" shallow - but it's still noticeably shallower and noticeably tighter... it might sound like a short hop, but it's straight into unfamiliarity for chops and effectively means practice time will have to be sunk into acclimatizing (which is time that could've been spent making progress on the current piece instead), and that's if you can make it work properly even with practice.

If note production, response, flexibility are good with the 7C, don't change it.

There are always players who are exceptions to all the established "rules"... but niche tools for niche jobs applies to the vast majority of players.
All-round playing = all-round piece.
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense. I guess I'm trying to run before I can walk. Thanks for the advice.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite shallower 7C is a Yamaha 11B4. I would not expect it to facilitate playing higher too much. The somewhat brighter tone might allow you to back off some (if used properly) and could aid your endurance when playing in the upper register that you already have.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach 7D is about the same depth as a Bach 3C.

A former teacher told me that Ronald Romm played all of his years in the Canadian Brass on a Bach 7D, while Fred Mills played a Bach 1.5C.

I wouldn't mind sounding like Ronald Romm in the Canadian Brass.
john4860

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Bach 7D Mouthpiece Reply with quote

I'm a comeback player (whatever that means) I used to play on a Bach 7C and didn't like the way it felt.
Went on the typical mouthpiece safari and after trying more than a few mouthpieces I am now playing a Bach 7D. I really like the 7D, the inner rim is shaped in a more gentle curve than the 7C's I own.

I like the way I sound on it. I have one for my flugelhorn and bought another one for my backup trumpet which I keep at my office.

John
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a few things to think about I guess, but it sounds like those of you who tried or are using a 7D like it. I'd love to try one, even used. Anyone know of one selling a 7D for a reasonable price?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: