• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The best vs good enough

View previous topic :: View next topic  
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: The best vs good enough Reply with quote

We have had a rash of threads asking for "The best..." mouthpiece, flugelhorn, valve oil, felts, mouthpiece brush, springs, and mute holders.

While I understand trumpet players are on a quest for excellence, am I wrong that "the best" of anything won't make a mediocre player better, and for an outstanding player, makes such a small difference to be imperceptible? At what point is good enough, enough?

Put another way, what is the best (narf!) way to ask for guidance on equipment?

Let the flames begin!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was just completing a post in this vein almost simultaneous with the OP, the thought came to me, instantly . . to what end?

No offense to any of those asking, I don't know them, but I suspect it's often overkill. And I'm guilty of doing this, myself, so . .

For many players, the difference between average, competent equipment and the top-of-the-line equipment doesn't even apply. A saying that's stuck with me, quoting from a film-character I paraphrase, "Would it make any difference?"

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a custom mouthpiece from Joey Pera in upstate NY about 5 years ago. I have never felt the need to try anything else. Sometimes you find something that works very well and stick with it. Anything you buy you will adapt to anyway.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best is what is best for you. Does not matter if it is considered the best by anyone else. However, I think lots of people are gathering opinions to help them navigate the jungle of trumpets out there. Oh yes, and the double jungle of mouthpieces.
If it works you don't need to change. If you feel something could be better for you, you can look around and ask questions to help you get started as to where to look.
The "best" threads don't bother me because I take them in this sense and help where I have some knowledge, move on if I do not. Nothing to get upset about.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
The best is what is best for you. Does not matter if it is considered the best by anyone else.

Probably, a better way of asking is, "What are the best horns/mouthpieces costing up to (fill in the blank), with a short bio and list of goals. And there seem to be plenty of well-intentioned people seeking that advice from other, more experienced players.

The thing that bugs me is the almost total lack of many (most?) to search the topic and to read what's already there. There's a lot of redundancy but we share the blame when we don't send them back to read what is, and often very redundant, material.

Whenever I had a question, (we had a good set of encyclopedia and related materials) my Dad's go-to answer was, "Look it up". Seemed frustrating, even a little cold at times, but that concept has served me well throughout my life.

I'm not sure what favors we give to people in the long run when we answer such questions over and over instead of sending them on a search.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: