• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adams F1 flugelhorn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Adams F1 flugelhorn Reply with quote

Got a chance to test out an Adams F1 flugelhorn and really enjoyed the sound I got out of the horn which had a dark quality. The horn felt good in the hands and valves were great. I did notice that it was really light weight. I was a little hesitant when I first picked up the horn. Anyone else notice the weight of the F1? Overall it is a good playing instrument.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how people are different. I just spent a few hours at our (huge) semi-local music store and the horns I liked the least were the Adams F1 (red brass bell with nickel silver flare) and A4. Mechanically and in the looks department they are great, I also liked the weight distribution of the A4 (didn't notice the F1 being particularly light, though).

The sound is the thing that I did absolutely not like. The F1 sounds like a broad trumpet - none of this fluffy, fuzzy, friendly flugel sound I can get from my horn. Rather, the F1 has a massive core to the sound and not much around it. No change in the sound color, too. Whatever you do, it always sounds the same.

The A4 sounds like a trumpet without any overtones; pretty dead sound for my taste.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose - Woher in Deutschland wohnst du? Ich habe in der Südwestpfalz gelebt.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Funny how people are different. I just spent a few hours at our (huge) semi-local music store and the horns I liked the least were the Adams F1 (red brass bell with nickel silver flare) and A4. Mechanically and in the looks department they are great, I also liked the weight distribution of the A4 (didn't notice the F1 being particularly light, though).

The sound is the thing that I did absolutely not like. The F1 sounds like a broad trumpet - none of this fluffy, fuzzy, friendly flugel sound I can get from my horn. Rather, the F1 has a massive core to the sound and not much around it. No change in the sound color, too. Whatever you do, it always sounds the same.

The A4 sounds like a trumpet without any overtones; pretty dead sound for my taste.

Wow. I own that exact Adams F1 with the red brass bell and nickel silver bell flare. My conception of the sound is quite the opposite. I bought the horn particularly because the sound was so dark and mellow and un-trumpetlike. My horn does not have a massive core like a trumpet. Before buying this horn, I went on a huge "flugel safari" and played pretty much everything on the market, including Van Laar. My F1 and other F1's that I have played, have consistently had that deep dark open flugel sound that I was after.

Regarding the physical weight of the F1, it is quite light. Are you sure you were playing an Adams F1? Are you sure you were using a flugel mouthpiece?
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:

Wow... that is different from what I had experienced. Compared to some of the other horns I played Bach 183, Jupiter 1646, Getzen Reserve, Adams Sonic, Yamaha 8315 and 8310z. The F1 had a darker tone from my perspective. I was using a Curry 1.5FL Large Taper mp.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:

Regarding the physical weight of the F1, it is quite light.

okay so I'm not the only one that noticed that. The F5 was weighty and the Sonic also felt solid compared to the F1.

The two horns I went back and forth with were the F1 and the Edwards X-19 flugelhorn. Both, to my, were identical in sound. There is some adjusting with the valves once you get pass that both horns play. The X-19 had slightly better valve action than the F1.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adagiotrumpet - yes, I am absolutely sure it was the Adams F1 with red brass bell and the nickel silver flare (what else could it be anyway?). I used a GR 65 FL and a JK 5C FL with proper shanks.

I have no problem with other people liking the horn but it’s just not for me.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Adams F1 flugelhorn Reply with quote

Someone that posted above stated that the Adams F5 flugel "was weighty". I own an F5 All-Copper bell flugel with a 6.3" bell and, TO ME, it's probably the lightest flugel I've ever held except for maybe the Yamaha Shew model. In fact , as of 6 months ago I owned 3 flugels: a Schilke, Yamaha 631G, and the above mentioned Adams and there was no question that the Adams was, by far, the lightest one. Maybe the poster was thinking of the Adams F2 which is supposed to be fairly heavy???

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Adagiotrumpet - yes, I am absolutely sure it was the Adams F1 with red brass bell and the nickel silver flare (what else could it be anyway?). I used a GR 65 FL and a JK 5C FL with proper shanks.

All, I can tell you is this. After just spending two days at NAMM and playing just about every flugelhorn I could find, with the exception of the cheap no name Chinese horns, the Adams F1, with the red brass bell and nickel silver flare was physically the lightest in weight and yet the entire Adams line had generally the darkest, fullest, flugel sound of anything at the show. The only horn that came close was the Edwards flugelhorn, a great flugelhorn, which perhaps had a slightly darker and perhaps deeper sound than the Adams F1, but the F2's were definitely darker, deeper, fuller, whatever you want to call it, than anything at the show.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
Brassnose wrote:

All, I can tell you is this. After just spending two days at NAMM and playing just about every flugelhorn I could find, with the exception of the cheap no name Chinese horns, the Adams F1, with the red brass bell and nickel silver flare was physically the lightest in weight and yet the entire Adams line had generally the darkest, fullest, flugel sound of anything at the show. The only horn that came close was the Edwards flugelhorn, a great flugelhorn, which perhaps had a slightly darker and perhaps deeper sound than the Adams F1, but the F2's were definitely darker, deeper, fuller, whatever you want to call it, than anything at the show.

How funny! I came to a similar conclusion. That the F1 was the lightest flugelhorn I had tried and had a darker quality sound than most. The horn that came close to the F1 was the Edwards X-19. I went back-and-forth between these two horns at the NAMM show after playing a few. The Edward's had very fast valves and a great feel.

For me the order goes
-Edwards X-19 (a tad bit darker, faster valves, more weight) & Adams F1
-Getzen Reserve Flugelhorn & Adams Sonic Flugelhorn (recess valve top threw me off so the Getzen edges the Sonic)
-Jupiter 1646
-Bach 183
-Yamaha 8315G
-Yamaha 8310Z
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having talked to Adams the company, they will tell you that the F1 is the brightest flugelhorn they make. I have that model. As I've said before, I tried both the F1 and F2. The F2 demanded a dark sound. Changed mouthpiece and still darker than I wanted. The F1, I could do dark or bright depending on mouthpiece. So that was the winner. The mouthpieces were Curry FL, FLM, FLD and FLJ.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Having talked to Adams the company, they will tell you that the F1 is the brightest flugelhorn they make. I have that model. As I've said before, I tried both the F1 and F2. The F2 demanded a dark sound. Changed mouthpiece and still darker than I wanted. The F1, I could do dark or bright depending on mouthpiece. So that was the winner. The mouthpieces were Curry FL, FLM, FLD and FLJ.

Good to know. I really didn't try the other Adams flugelhorns, I mostly stayed with the F1 and the Sonic.
rallison

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to own an F1 Sterling bell. A great horn. I stupidly sold it.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I noticed when I play tested an F1 was that it was extremely, surprisingly, light weight. The one I tested had the red brass bell with nickel silver flare. It is the lightest weight flugelhorn I've ever picked up.

I decided to order the F2 (also with the red brass bell and nickel silver flare) because I wanted more of an overall physical design match with my A8 trumpet. The F2 is heavier than the F1 but it is still not heavy in real terms.

I also have a Kanstul 1525 flugelhorn. The Kanstul gets a broader and more dispersed sound than the Adams. The Adams gets a more focused sound than the Kanstul. Both sound like flugelhorns and both are great and well made/designed horns. I can't say that I necessarily have a preference. They are each just different from the other in the way I've described.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the price range of the Adams flugels?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
what's the price range of the Adams flugels?

Here's a link to Austin Custom Brass:

https://www.austincustombrass.biz/categories/Flugelhorns/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: