• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Moving to Rochester NY - what do I need to know

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Moving to Rochester NY - what do I need to know Reply with quote

Hey trumpeters. My wife just accepted a job offer in Wolcott NY so we're looking to relocate to the Rochester area this summer. Or to Syracuse, I guess, but I'd like eventually to try to get in to the masters program at ESM or at least study with some of their faculty, so we'd likely look to live on the east side of Rochester (Ontario, Sodus, Newark...).

I've been to Rochester once, over New Years, and had a meeting with Clay Jenkins at Eastman. He was very cool and encouraging about the opportunities to make music, but he pointed out that there's some really good "cats" in the city, and the students are obviously top tier. We stayed in the city and explored a little (spent a whole day with my kids at the Strong museum), but we're looking to live more in the country or a small town.

Anyone from around that way? Any advice on bands/orchestras to check out or audition for? Moving means a new scene to find my way into, and this is likely to be a competitive one, for better or worse.

Lots of things different about NY state from Michigan! For example, I've got an old truck I'll probably just sell rather than fix all the things I'd need to pass an inspection. (What, you expect working windshield wipers?)

And what's deal with Wegmans? People kept asking if we'd been to one yet. It's a grocery store, right? Sells food?
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snow - lake effect deep snow.
Lots of outdoor activities within reasonable distance - ski, bicycle, hike, camp, fish, hunt, swim, etc.

Wegman's - a quite nice grocery chain. Good selection of products in range from 'budget' to 'higher end'. Good selection of prepared 'take home' dinners. I really like their store brand pork Polish Sausage (kielbasa), and also their Italian sausage. They also do food delivery, and store pick-up. Very good selection and quality fruits and veggies.

There will probably be amateur community/town band/orchestra near. Rochester likely has numerous active night-life venues for live music.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born and spent my childhood in Wayne County. My mother's family is from the village of North Rose, about 5 miles from Wolcott. My father's family is from Williamson (which I also claim as my hometown,) the high school sports arch rival of Wolcott (Leavenworth High at the time.)

You may be surprised to find quite a few similarities with semi-rural Michigan. I have a friend now who is from there with whom I frequently compare notes about growing up in farming communities, the winter weather, and the culture. Anecdote: a few years ago I was at a local restaurant and overheard the middle aged couples next to me discussing whether or not they were going to hire the "Johnson boy" again for snow removal in their driveway because last year he was undependable. This conversation was occurring the last week of September.

NY 104 was four-laned from Williamson west to the Wayne/Monroe County line several years ago and that has made that area more acceptable to commuters working in Rochester. That road is limited access from the county line further west into the city. It has also made Williamson/Pultneyville attractive to "lake people" who have either a cottage on the lake or a boat in a marina. This has resulted in more eateries/social opportunities than when I was a kid there in the '60s. Williamson is 20 miles from Wolcott traveling NY 104 (two lanes, but a major artery in the county so well-maintained and the first road cleared of snow and ice.)

Concur that Rochester will have lots of participation/spectator opportunities in the arts. I currently stream wxxi.org (classic 91.5) and love listening to their arts calendar.

If you have a Facebook account, there is a "Beautiful Wayne County, NY" group where people post pictures and announce events that might give you a little more flavor of the area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: