• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The right way to prepare yourself for a concert?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tro.sy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: The right way to prepare yourself for a concert? Reply with quote

what is the best way to prepare yourself mentally and physically for a concert where you are playing a solo piece?

Thank you
3bflat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I always try to keep in mind is that the audience is not there to judge you and you are not there to impress them. Both you and the audience are there to share in the emotions (joy/sadness, etc.) that the music brings.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: the right way to prepare yourself for a concert? Reply with quote

b-flat is correct to a "T" I used to experience nervousness before and during a concert or performance and especially playing solos. I suppose somewhere around 30 years old I was able to realize that whatever I am doing I am just a small part of a big thing. A solo is a small part of a concert or worship service. When I played and then coached college football it was apparent immediately and then you just get into the flow and don't worry about stupid things you just don't want to let down a team. I would still get some nervousness before playing in church, with city band, or whatever but the instant the first not came out it was time to go with and be part of the flow. Being part of a musical performance is an amazing life experience whether in a small group, a band, or as a soloist. We as individuals are only ever part of the big picture, though, so don't let the pressure build up. Play and be part of the flow.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how well you can play the piece.

If it is within your current ability to consistently play well, then work on the specifics of phrasing, dynamics, and style to make the piece as expressive as possible.

If you are struggling with the piece (range, speed, intervals, whatever) then you need to determine what is the best course of action.
1) More practice.
2) More lessons and 'good instruction' about how to DO things.
3) Accept the fact that your playing might not be as good as you would like, but will not be an embaressment to yourself or the teacher/group.
4) If you feel that you cannot play the piece in an acceptable manner, explain that to the director and perhaps choose another piece, modify the current piece (eliminate the bad parts), or cancel your solo.

Your solo is an opportunity to show the audience what you CAN do, not to teach them about what you cannot do.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tend to get obsessed about how we have to work on everything until we can play it perfectly... in the practice room.

But we ignore the fact that we need to practice performing. I'll say that again-- we need to practice every aspect of our art, and that includes performing. And the only way to do that is to put yourself out there.

You shouldn't put yourself in a position where you're sure to crash and burn, but you also need to learn that the world won't end (and 99% of the audience won't notice) if you make a mistake or two.
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
...you also need to learn that the world won't end (and 99% of the audience won't notice) if you make a mistake or two.

I've been a Pro soloist performer/entertainer for nearly 40 years and this is spot-on!
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My amateur/comeback player two cents:

The best time to be critical of your playing is in the practice room not after the concert. The better prepared you are, the less anxiety you will have, which reduces tension and allows you to relax so you play better. Adam Rapa has a great video about how he practices (which oddly enough aligns with what my private teacher would preach to me). He talks about practicing slowly enough so that you play perfectly and gradually increase the speed. Dont just run the music front to back. Start at the back and play it to the beginning adding one measure at a time. Perfect it one measure at a time. Make sure you rest as much as you play. You will be able to practice longer and make more progress.

https://www.purtle.com/claude-gordon-practice-routines-the-brass-herald

Physically you need to get rest and stay hydrated. Minimize any changes to your diet a couple a days before the concert. Regardless of how prepared I am, I do not play a lot the day prior to the concert. You need to be fresh for the concert.

As has been said already, the world wont end if you play a bad solo or miss some notes. To quote CG, "hit it hard and wish it well". Learn from the experience and most of all HAVE FUN and enjoy the moment.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On top of what has already been said - just enjoy yourself and make music. Perfection does not mean perfect - if that makes any sense. Sometime the best performance is not the most perfect performance. While attempting to make music that people will enjoy, I give myself permission to focus more on the expressive side and less towards technical perfection. Sometimes this means playing a note where you hear/feel it instead of trying to make the tuner happy. Just don't get too wild with that last part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: