• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Austin Custom Brass Cornet - What Say Ye?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkw1962

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Austin Custom Brass Cornet - What Say Ye? Reply with quote

Considering this one as a doubler for concert band work. Thoughts and opinions and experiences welcome...Thanks!
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I inquired about the same horn they directed me to the Brasspire Unicorn.
I believe it’s probably the same instrument with silver plate and triggers and a price tag of $300 more. I’ve played lots of BBB style cornets in the past five years and other than Smith Watkins and Stomvi they all seemed to be very similar in sound and play. The only real difference was that the Asian models were much much more reasonable in price.
I say go for it.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Austin Custom Brass Cornet - What Say Ye? Reply with quote

bkw1962 wrote:
Considering this one as a doubler for concert band work. Thoughts and opinions and experiences welcome...Thanks!

I own an ACB Doubler and it plays just fine with my Wedge 65 cornet mouthpiece.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply for economy, I would urge everyone to acquire a Conn cornet off ebay, before anything else. Specifically, a 80A Victor.

Then again, I am the Victor fanboy, and have been for a long time here.

I have made no bones about it, it is the best bang for the buck for a high brass instrument out there. I have bought excellent examples for as little as 40 bucks for 1960's models, and have paid up to 480 bucks for early 1900's models, just to have the earliest example I could find, in crappy condition that played horribly.

Every gig I play these days, have a 1963 80-A on the stand, for some ballads and a couple dixieland style songs, where that timbre is just perfect.

Seriously, do yourself a favor and hunt one down. DO NOT pay a lot for it, that is part of the allure, that you get a ton of horn for a little bit of scratch.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: