• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

strategies for practice on the road

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaeldavidromero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: strategies for practice on the road Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I'm curious to know what folks do practice wise while on the road.

I'm the sole trumpet for a band that does weekend tours around the US 2-3 times a month. As somewhat of a comeback player I'm trying to build as close to daily routine as possible and the travel definitely has it's challenges when at hotels. I usually use a practice mute in hotel but was curious what others do while on the road/at hotel.

thank you!
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm heading out tomorrow for a week of hotel practice. I phone-photographed ("phonetographed"?) the page of Claude Gordon Systematic Approach that I'm working on, along with the corresponding pages of St. Jacome. I'll bring the Clarke Characteristic study I'm on - too hard to read on the phone/tablet screen and that book isn't too big. I'll bring an etude book too, but I'll be pretty happy if most days I get through the Gordon stuff. The purpose of the trip is not to sit in a hotel room practicing.

So I'm bringing Silent Brass rig, one trumpet, and two books. I can jury-rig a music stand in a hotel room, and I don't anticipate any sudden gigs while traveling, so no mutes or other horns. The day I get back is an orchestra concert, so I have to keep playing for the week, but luckily it's all on B♭ so that's the horn I'll bring.

Long story short, I'm planning to be able to practice the same material as I would at home, but doing what I can to avoid lugging extra stuff, mainly by copying pages.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
michaeldavidromero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ayryq!

Digitalizing is a good call, I'm going to add that to the packing list of to dos.
I haven't tried the silent brass for a while, but it seems to be fairly common to use for folks.
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I did when I traveled a lot was to find as many community bands as I could. When their rehearsal schedule coincided with my travel I would stop in and ask to sit in. I was very rarely (in fact only once) denied the chance. It sure beat sitting alone in a hotel and I made a bunch of new friends. A couple of the band directors kept asking me to join them on concerts but I was never able to do that. It was a blast and I miss doing that.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order of preference:

1. Best: find a place to play open (hotel conference room, nearby park)
2. Pretty good depending on availability and weather: practice in a car
3. Still good but not ideal: make a pillow fort practice room for your bell in your room and play open into it
4. Worst but usually better than not playing: practice mute
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, there are two issues with practice when traveling: What to practice and how to practice it.

In terms of "what," I have a scaled-back maintenance routine that works well for me when I am traveling.

As for "how," ask at the hotel if they have a place for you to practice. They may have unused conference space away from guest rooms that you could use to practice without a mute. I use a practice mute when I have to practice in my room. It is really quiet, so I can practice early in the morning without complaints, but adds considerable resistance. Some colleagues use a bucket mute, which is louder but offers much less resistance. It's a trade-off.

Good luck!

Last edited by Dayton on Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a difference between practicing while traveling and vacationing, and practicing while "on the road" with professional performances.

When I was on the road/touring, I did very little practicing. I usually did routine warm-ups and warm-down playing, some soft, gentle playing like the Chicowitz Long Tones, and maybe some work on certain passages and/or improvisational chord changes that needed refreshing or cleaning up.

Then it was time to hit the town, get some sleep and start all over again.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
michaeldavidromero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all! This is incredibly helpful. Thank you each for taking the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: