• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cheapest method for shipping cases

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejweiss
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Cheapest method for shipping cases Reply with quote

I have many trumpet cases to sell. No trumpets. Suggestions for what service to use to save the potential buyers some money. UPS, FEDEX, USPS ???
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Australia and have had zero problems with USPS over the years. I’ve had trumpets, Trombones and some very exxy ones sent this way. Never an issue.
djroos19

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USPS Parcel select ground will be the most economical option 9 times out of 10, but it's slow.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USPS

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheapest....USPS
The other two (UPS/FEDEX) are more reliable (and with potentially less damage) but you will pay for it.
ejweiss
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
Cheapest....USPS
The other two (UPS/FEDEX) are more reliable (and with potentially less damage) but you will pay for it.

I think the cases and bags I have will be safe. Thank you.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, have always used USPS for shipping trumpets and cases. Priority Express for horns (never shipped in cases) and regular ground for cases. I always insure for the replacement value of the item. However, the last time I sent a trumpet, expertly packed (as ultimately confirmed by the USPS inspection), the box was damaged so badly that the bell was severely crushed. Despite having insurance, it took three attempts for the Post Office to finally inspect the damage and the way it was packed, and over 6 months and a call to Washington DC before the claim was finally paid. I now line the inside of the box with 1/8 inch luan plywood. It does not increase the weight significantly and if they manage to break through that, it will require extreme negligence along with heavy machinery.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
I, too, have always used USPS for shipping trumpets and cases. Priority Express for horns (never shipped in cases) and regular ground for cases. I always insure for the replacement value of the item. However, the last time I sent a trumpet, expertly packed (as ultimately confirmed by the USPS inspection), the box was damaged so badly that the bell was severely crushed. Despite having insurance, it took three attempts for the Post Office to finally inspect the damage and the way it was packed, and over 6 months and a call to Washington DC before the claim was finally paid. I now line the inside of the box with 1/8 inch luan plywood. It does not increase the weight significantly and if they manage to break through that, it will require extreme negligence along with heavy machinery.

With the holidays....those trucks are packed with boxes. That stuff adds up and things get smashed.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
adagiotrumpet wrote:

With the holidays....those trucks are packed with boxes. That stuff adds up and things get smashed.

Well in my case, the damage was so severe that it couldn't have resulted in having too many boxes stacked on top of it. The condition of the box indicated that the box was crushed sideways like an accordian and to have done that much damage, it was apparent the the box was hit with either a loaded pallet jack moving fast or a forklift.
MusicWagon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: UPS Reply with quote

USPS for smaller, less valuable cases.

UPS Ground with NEGOTIATED charges for better care and economics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: