• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Preventing Buildup in Leadpipe

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix864 wrote:
Thanks for the clarification - do either of you run into issues with spreading the residual grease from the tuning slide through the leadpipe? I know that others leave the top leg of the slide inserted to prevent the swap from contacting any grease.

Yes, this is what I do. I leave the top leg of the tuning in the lead pipe, and run the swab through the lead pipe and tuning slide at the same time. This way, I don't get slide grease on the swab.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 1-time-use individual patches, so I'm not concerned about keeping a 'swab' clean. Also, I've stopped using 'grease' on the valve slides. I use drug store Mineral Oil, not gooey, and works very well on my instruments.

When I patch the leadpipe, I also use a Q-tip for the ID of the tuning & slide tubes, and their receiving tubes. I rarely see any sign of any build-up or other debris. I then re-oil the OD of the inner-tubes prior to assembly.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumeptMD and JayKosta - Thanks for the instructions. I'll definitely be picking up a swap and cleaning the leadpipe regularly.

More generally, is there anything else that would be beneficial to start doing to keep the horn in top shape, or anything I should do to break it in? My previous routine was just a cleaning every month or so, but I seems like some additional maintenance could be warranted, especially now with the horn being new.

Thanks for all the help.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix864 wrote:
More generally, is there anything else that would be beneficial to start doing to keep the horn in top shape, or anything I should do to break it in? My previous routine was just a cleaning every month or so, but I seems like some additional maintenance could be warranted, especially now with the horn being new.

I'd love to hear from others about this too.

For me, when I'm breaking in a new horn, I clean the valves every day for a couple weeks. I wipe down the valves and swab out the valve casings with a microfiber cloth. I also wipe out the bottom of the valves (the vents?) and the valve caps with a tissue.

Here is a link to the microfiber cloths I use.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050R68LS

Mike
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
Phoenix864 wrote:

I'd love to hear from others about this too.

For me, when I'm breaking in a new horn, I clean the valves every day for a couple weeks. I wipe down the valves and swab out the valve casings with a microfiber cloth. I also wipe out the bottom of the valves (the vents?) and the valve caps with a tissue.

Here is a link to the microfiber cloths I use.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050R68LS

Mike

That sounds like a good idea, I'm also wonder if rinsing the valves/casing would also have a similar effect? I know water doesn't really get oil off, but maybe it would be more effective on the debris that might build up.

I know I mentioned it a few posts ago, but does anyone know why there might be grease on the springs/top of the pistons and if it's worth reapplying after a cleaning? I'm planning on cleaning the springs with the horn - this might be pretty silly to ask, but is it alright to soak them with the pistons? I normally just set them aside when cleaning valves.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix864 wrote:
I know I mentioned it a few posts ago, but does anyone know why there might be grease on the springs/top of the pistons and if it's worth reapplying after a cleaning? I'm planning on cleaning the springs with the horn - this might be pretty silly to ask, but is it alright to soak them with the pistons? I normally just set them aside when cleaning valves.

Some people have a habit of putting grease, usually cut with valve oil, on the springs.

In many cases, it starts when they stretch a worn out spring to try and extend its life only to be annoyed by the noise it makes on the spring box. As that can also put uneven pressure on the guide, the guide may bind. Lubricating the spring mitigates the ill effects of having done the wrong thing in the first place to some extent.

With newer horns, given the lack of attention in manufacturing today to deburring the box and smoothing the edges of the guides (especially plastic guides with form marks), retailers will often lube the spring and guide rather than take the time to perfect the surfaces the manufacturer failed too.

Between these two drivers, lube on springs is not uncommon. There is no harm in continuing, but in general, the horn will perform better longer if you address the underlying reason for it instead.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix864 wrote:
That sounds like a good idea, I'm also wonder if rinsing the valves/casing would also have a similar effect? I know water doesn't really get oil off, but maybe it would be more effective on the debris that might build up.

You could use water (or soap and water) on the valves and casings. But you still might want to wipe them down with a lint-free cloth, to get rid of any moisture before you oil.

Mike
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph - I see what you mean. I pulled the horn apart for a cleaning and found the edges on the valve guides to be a little rough in spots. I would assume you would recommend smoothing out the edges?

TrumpetMD - Good advice, thanks. I'll start regularly rinsing and wiping down the valves and casings.

When disassembling the horn, I found that the third valve's stem was stuck. Are there any other safe methods worth trying before taking it to a tech? It's not a huge deal (it seems most people don't even disassemble the valves anyways), but something I'd like to take care of before it gets really frozen.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix864 wrote:
...and found the edges on the valve guides to be a little rough in spots. ...

... I found that the third valve's stem was stuck. Are there any other safe methods worth trying before taking it to a tech? It's not a huge deal (it seems most people don't even disassemble the valves anyways), but something I'd like to take care of before it gets really frozen.

---
If the roughness is in an area that actually rubs (moving surfaces) then maybe very careful smoothing might help. If it is just the little tabs that locate the guide in the case - as long as they fit securely, I wouldn't touch them.

What's the point of removing the stems? Would that help do a better cleaning in some way?

I would just use a Q-tip and tissue paper to remove the grease gobs from the springs.

The fewer 'properly working parts' that you disassemble, the more likely they will remain 'properly working'.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix864 - I believe in removing the valve stems, particularly on Bach with the aluminum stems. If you are not comfortable with your technical skills take it to a tech. The aluminum stems tend to seize over time due to the dissimilar metals. Once apart place a little anti-seize on the threads to prevent this from occurring again. The last stuck stems I worked on, were so stuck, even after soaking with penetrating oil, I had to add heat to the top of the valve assembly to break it loose. The original nylon valve guides melted, but I had replacements on hand. I do not think yours stems anywhere near this level.

Also, as mentioned, some of the valve guide vertical slots are somewhat rough from machining at the manufacturer. I take some 800 grit wet sandpaper fold over a small flat blade screwdriver and gently pass up and down the slot until smooth. This usually just takes just a few passes. This is done without the stems, springs and guides on the valves. Make sure to wash the valve out throughly afterward. The idea is to make the surfaces smooth without changing the dimensions, which would defeat the valve’s alignment. I have achieved smooth and quieter valve action by looking at all the parts that touch each other and smoothing these surfaces.

I am also a spring lubricator To prevent any spring rub against the valve’s spring housing. I use pure lanolin for this purpose.
Ron
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Phoenix864 wrote:
...and found the edges on the valve guides to be a little rough in spots. ...

... I found that the third valve's stem was stuck. Are there any other safe methods worth trying before taking it to a tech? It's not a huge deal (it seems most people don't even disassemble the valves anyways), but something I'd like to take care of before it gets really frozen.

---
If the roughness is in an area that actually rubs (moving surfaces) then maybe very careful smoothing might help. If it is just the little tabs that locate the guide in the case - as long as they fit securely, I wouldn't touch them.

What's the point of removing the stems? Would that help do a better cleaning in some way?

I would just use a Q-tip and tissue paper to remove the grease gobs from the springs.

The fewer 'properly working parts' that you disassemble, the more likely they will remain 'properly working'.

Jay

The roughness is on the side of the guides (with the alignment nubs facing toward you). I don't think the slide of the guide contacts the inside of the piston during a valve-stroke, but I can't quite tell for sure. Either way, with the grease gone the valves still sound fine. Maybe a bit louder than with the grease, but similarity loud to my previous Bach's valves (which did not have grease).

I actually was able to get the stem off, I think over a couple tries I loosened it up. I personally like removing the stems as it allows me to soak/clean/wet the valves however I like without risking getting the felts wet. I haven't had problems in the past with taking apart and reassembling valves, so I continue to do it.

There was a lot of grease on the spring and inside the piston - I probably spent 5 minutes on each spring just to get the grease off. Getting the springs out allowed me to clean out the insides of the pistons.

With the grease gone I feel better knowing that it won't break down over time and collect inside/on the pistons. Maybe a minor thing, but I prefer to know exactly what kind of lubricants are on the horn.

Just about everything looked in order both on the inside and outside of the horn. The only slightly unusual thing was the 3rd valve spring was a little bent, but since it's guided from both the top and bottom I think it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnman wrote:
Phoenix864 - I believe in removing the valve stems, particularly on Bach with the aluminum stems. If you are not comfortable with your technical skills take it to a tech. The aluminum stems tend to seize over time due to the dissimilar metals. Once apart place a little anti-seize on the threads to prevent this from occurring again. The last stuck stems I worked on, were so stuck, even after soaking with penetrating oil, I had to add heat to the top of the valve assembly to break it loose. The original nylon valve guides melted, but I had replacements on hand. I do not think yours stems anywhere near this level.

Also, as mentioned, some of the valve guide vertical slots are somewhat rough from machining at the manufacturer. I take some 800 grit wet sandpaper fold over a small flat blade screwdriver and gently pass up and down the slot until smooth. This usually just takes just a few passes. This is done without the stems, springs and guides on the valves. Make sure to wash the valve out throughly afterward. The idea is to make the surfaces smooth without changing the dimensions, which would defeat the valve’s alignment. I have achieved smooth and quieter valve action by looking at all the parts that touch each other and smoothing these surfaces.

I am also a spring lubricator To prevent any spring rub against the valve’s spring housing. I use pure lanolin for this purpose.
Ron

Just saw your post - good info there, thanks. As stated in my other post I got the stem moving. I put some valve oil on the treads of each stem to mitigate future sticking.

As for the burrs, they actually are on the little white delrin valve guide, not the slots in the valves themselves. I've found the machining on this horn to quite good across the board. Everything is super clean and nicely finished.

How important do you think it is to grease the springs? Personally, I prefer using less grease just to keep things less messy, but if it would decrease wear and tear I would be willing to do it.
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix864 - I see the bend in the spring as well. Is this on your new horn? If so, you should request a new set of valve springs be installed. Check this valve spring action by manually holding the assembled valve’s guide and pushing upwards. Notice if the spring is touching the valve housing anywhere. If so, it will likely make a slight scratching noise when in the horn and moving the valve. This may be why they were greased. Also, looking at your pic on the first page of this thread, with the third valve partially inserted in the casing, look at the guide. See how it is cocked slightly. This likely due the the bent spring.

Regarding the grease on the springs, I would try it without and with some and see if you notice and difference. I suspect it will be minor.

If the stem is aluminum, I would add some grease or anti-seize (available from an auto parts or hardware store) to the threads.
Ron
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnman wrote:
Phoenix864 - I see the bend in the spring as well. Is this on your new horn? If so, you should request a new set of valve springs be installed. Check this valve spring action by manually holding the assembled valve’s guide and pushing upwards. Notice if the spring is touching the valve housing anywhere. If so, it will likely make a slight scratching noise when in the horn and moving the valve. This may be why they were greased. Also, looking at your pic on the first page of this thread, with the third valve partially inserted in the casing, look at the guide. See how it is cocked slightly. This like due the the bent spring.

Regarding the grease on the springs, I would try it without and with some and see if you notice and difference. I suspect it will be minor.

If the stem is aluminum, I would add some grease or anti-seize (available from an auto parts or hardware store) to the threads.
Ron

Yep, this is the new horn. I'll check to see if spring rubs - after putting everything back together the valve guide is now straight. If there is rub, I'll probably just purchase a new set of springs myself. The shop already has helped me out a lot.

I'm not sure about the material of the stem. This is a Schagerl horn, and part specs are basically impossible to find online. Thanks for the recommendation for anti-seize either way, I might try some in the future to be safe.
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days back I emailed Schagerl about if they recommended putting grease on their valve springs. I got a response back today - it actually seems they are very much against it.

"please do not use grease for the valves, just some valve oil and NOT on the springs."

So, I'll be keeping grease off the springs.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usedtobegood wrote:
I highly recommend these leadpipe swabs that Tim Wendt sells. I have one in each case that I use and never have a buildup problem.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=119230&s=The-Best-Damn-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-Period-

+1 Use it after every playing session and swab through the tuning slide and leadpipe.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
Usedtobegood wrote:
I highly recommend these leadpipe swabs that Tim Wendt sells. I have one in each case that I use and never have a buildup problem.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=119230&s=The-Best-Damn-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-Period-

+1 Use it after every playing session and swab through the tuning slide and leadpipe.

Will do - I purchased one and hope to have it next week. Hopefully it will prevent anything from building up in the leadpipe. While I don't think the buildup really affects the sound or damages the horn, it sure is annoying not being able to get the horn entirely clean.
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix864 wrote:

While I don't think the buildup really affects the sound or damages the horn, it sure is annoying not being able to get the horn entirely clean.

One little thought:
I think most say that a chronically unclean leadpipe does result in damage to the metal of the pipe.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm kind of an outlier, but I've been a professional for a half a century and that's a loooong time, and I've almost never swabbed my lead pipe. I have cleaned it, periodically, along with the rest of the horn.

I'm not dismissing people's experience or desires but I've just never felt the need for one, myself. And to my knowledge, my horns have never shown any negative effects resulting from this.

So, I would say, if you feel you need one, use it. But it's not a given.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been of the brush and swab/floss daily school. I will drain, brush, swab and flush after playing and then oil valves. I start the day with a few drops of oil down the lead pipe and blow it through.
LB Bel Canto #59
Holton B47
Frankenhorn projects 1-5
Adams F1
Olds Super Tenor Trombone
Alesis QS8
B2MS3, B2GS3,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: