• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

They all have to go, except one

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuerner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: They all have to go, except one Reply with quote

Hello Trumpetherald community,
I was a member long ago, and back now for help with some decisions.
I used to be a dedicated, though never very good player, and I accumulated some horns. 3 trumpets and 2 cornets. I am downsizing and want to keep only one instrument. Because I now play only a little at Christmas, even a student horn will do, but I am weighing monetary and musical values to decide which to sell and which one to keep.

-1947 Super Olds LA, unrestored with plating wear on valves, but undented and playing well, and nice looking to my eyes
-1959 or so Besson 10-10 long cornet in very fine condition, no dentwork, laquer complete and shiny except for contact points
- 1960s Olds Ambassador cornet that has been through a lot, but fixed up nicely
-2 student trumpets: Jupiter 600m and Bach tr500, both in very good condition (the Bach is a surprisingly lively instrument!)

I have researched selling prices, but not found much clarity online, especially for the better horns. I am looking for opinions on what would be an attractive price for these horns, very ballpark, for a relatively quick sale, but still getting maybe 75% of their current market value.

Thanks,
Andrew
multiphonic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watched the Ambassador cornet market lately and acquired a very nice playing 1965 Fullerton with a good hard shell case and Olds 3 mouthpiece through eBay for $150. It has significant lacquer wear and evidence of past repairs, but no dents. Minimal valve plating wear. I thought that was a fair price for a horn with a great sound that I play regularly.

Student horns don't have much value. If I had to pick a keeper from your inventory, I would hang onto the best playing student horn, sell the Super and Besson and consider donating the other student instruments to my local school district if I couldn't find buyers.

Perhaps others can comment on the market value of the Super and Besson.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can sell the others, give yourself a gift. Use the $ to replate the pistons on the LA Olds Super. IMO, that's the one that will depreciate the least. It will also give you the best return on the work you invest in. In that case, a valve rebuild. There's no need to make the outside shiny.

The Super, once fixed up, will prove a joy to play.

Search here on TH for what players have to say about 'em!
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask someone to sit with their back to you while you play the same short piece on each horn. I’d keep the one your listener thinks sounded best and punt the rest.

None is going to bring much and the selling/shipping process is a hassle so you might just call a local school and invite the band director to come get them. Great way to help parents who are short on funds.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands down, keep the Olds Super. Those are great horns. I would sell the others and use some of the cash to have a good repairman re-plate the valves if necessary, give it a good chem cleaning, and properly align the valves. I would also have him check the mouthpiece receiver for excessive wear. Keeping the Olds Super and putting it in optimal playing condition is the way to go.

As far as pricing the other horns for sale, have you checked the completed listings on Ebay? I would start there.
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used cornets are bringing next to nothing lately. The Super Olds, on the other hand, assuming it is a trumpet and not cornet, is worth more than my truck.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
Hands down, keep the Olds Super. Those are great horns. I would sell the others and use some of the cash to have a good repairman re-plate the valves if necessary, give it a good chem cleaning, and properly align the valves. I would also have him check the mouthpiece receiver for excessive wear. Keeping the Olds Super and putting it in optimal playing condition is the way to go.

As far as pricing the other horns for sale, have you checked the completed listings on Ebay? I would start there.

+1

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, on second thought I agree about keeping the Olds Super. I’ve owned just about every horn in the Olds family except the Mendez and they are outstanding instruments. A Super from 1947 would have been made in the Los Angeles factory when the company was in its prime.

As for the rest, you could probably get enough on eBay to defray the cost of whatever would improve the Super. Valve jobs are running around $250 a piston I think.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle

Last edited by jhatpro on Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
trUMBet67
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is for keeping the Olds Super.
I love mine, does it all with great tone and intonation.
It's the horn I play most, even if periodically I switch horn (see my signature) for fun and try every trumpet I can.
Flugel: Getzen Eterna 895S-T
Cornet: Getzen Eterna 800 LB Copper,Conn 28A,B&H Imperial
Piccolo: Schilke Herald Bb/A
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep only the Olds Super
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's just testing to see if this is the same Trumpet Herald that it used to be.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Steve Hollahan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Olds Super Reply with quote

Found one in a hockshop. Reconditioned it and was about to sell, friend said play it. I did, my wife told it sounded better than my Bach.

Wish I'd kept it.
Kanstul 900 piccolo trumpet
Sculptured Recrafting Custom Instrument Repair
and Restoration
www.sculpturedrecrafting.com
kuerner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A belated thank you to all respondents, though my query, "I have researched selling prices, but not found much clarity online, especially for the better horns. I am looking for opinions on what would be an attractive price for these horns, very ballpark, for a relatively quick sale, but still getting maybe 75% of their current market value." was ignored by all!

Still have them all, and despite, or maybe because of the nearly unanimous advice to keep the olds super, I want to sell it. Sounds like the only one I'd get any money for! No love was expressed for the Besson 10-10 cornet, which now that I've spent some time with the horns again, I find myself enjoying the most. Problem there is, it sounds great with a Wick 2B mouthpiece and my chops is kinda weak.

Thanks again, and if anyone wants to take a shot at my original query, I appreciate it.

Andrew
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuerner wrote:

...and despite, or maybe because of the nearly unanimous advice to keep the olds super, I want to sell it.
Andrew

It might not be a bad time to sell the Olds Super. It seems like there is some cult like buying bleeding over from a low supply of Recording trumpets. Today an Olds Super trumpet is bringing $500-$1000. Yours could be on the high end. You get the Los Angeles premium, and the dent-free premium. But the valve plating wear is unfortunate. Could it be staining/corrosion? That is not good either, but better than plating worn all the way through. Does it have heavy pitting on the valve casing that is another sign of high mileage?

Olds Ambassador cornets might be the most under priced horn around. They are easy to find in near perfect condition for less than $50.

I don't know much about Besson cornets. Here a Besson 8-10 brought only $90. Apparently young players prefer a shiny silver Asian off-brand trumpet to a pro model USA made cornet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: