• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Warren Vache

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Warren Vache Reply with quote

I was looking for a video of Warren to send to a trumpet playing friend recently
He had never heard him play.
I found a series of recent videos of Warren playing trumpet. I've only seen him play cornet and flugel.
Anyone know Warren and why the switch to trumpet?
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw him in March 2019 at the Jazz Corner in Hilton Head. He had just changed to the trumpet at that time. He explained that he had recently acquired a vintage trumpet (sorry gear heads, I just don't remember what brand and year it was), and he was so enamored of it that he said that it was going to be his principal instrument for now on.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw him in Tampa a number of years ago with the Newport All-Stars led by Jon Faddis. (maybe 2008 or 2009?) BTW he blew everybody away. I saw him again shortly after with a group including Lew Tabackin, in a concert at the Coliseum ballroom in St. Pete. He was playing and endorsing the Conn Vintage One trumpet, I think his had a sterling silver bell. I had a friend (RIP) who knew him in NYC in the early '70's. He told me that Warren was into everything Bix at that time, down to the vintage suits, pencil mustache and the cornet. He's an interesting man and a fabulous jazz musician.

Last edited by Ed Kennedy on Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wondra
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw him on a club gig in Greenwich Village last summer. He played trumpet all night.

Don't make me get the flying monkeys...
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The videos I saw were from 2019 so he must have just gotten his hands on the horn fairly recently.
He's an absolute beast. I've never gotten to hear him live but I'm a huge fan. I have a cousin in the Westport, Ct area and bassist Brian Torff ran a jazz series for the Westport Jazz Society there for a few years. My cousin would call me to go to a lot of the shows. Warren was one of the artists to play one year. My cousin had never heard of him and didn't bother to get tickets.
The shows were in small rooms and it would have been amazing to hear him up close.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m a big fan of his method:

Pile five pounds of music beside your stand. Play it. Repeat.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
hup_d_dup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomba51 wrote:
I saw him in March 2019 at the Jazz Corner in Hilton Head. He had just changed to the trumpet at that time. He explained that he had recently acquired a vintage trumpet (sorry gear heads, I just don't remember what brand and year it was), and he was so enamored of it that he said that it was going to be his principal instrument for now on.

It's a LeBlanc, if I remember correctly. Warren plays pretty regularly at Shanghai Jazz so I will check to make sure. The story is that Warren owned the trumpet years ago and regretted selling it. But it was found by a collector and Warren bought it back. At a gig in December (last month) he was playing cornet so I think he switches between cornet and trumpet, but he always has a flugel.

Hup
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen him a few times over the years, just saw him locally back in October. He was playing his custom cornet, the one that has a detachable bell. He had 2 or 3 other cornet players, friends and/or students, sitting in on the gig. It was kind of a jam session, though surprisingly, that many horns wasn't obnoxious.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 1980's, I used to work at an annual jazz fest in northern New Jersey. One summer afternoon, I got to see Warren Vaché Jr., Wild Bill Davison, Maxine Sullivan, and Ruby Braff (not necessarily in that order), play cornet on the same stage (Maxine only played on a few tunes). It was jazz cornet paradise. I believe that Warren was playing something like a Yamaha YCR-231, but it was a long time ago.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to play with Mr. Vache in 2018 for series of shows. At the time he was playing a contemporary Yahama student-model cornet, if memory serves, that had the bell chopped and converted into a screw-bell. He had an old briefcase that he carted it around in.

He colorfully remarked about his frustration that he couldn't find any modern professional-model cornets that didn't have a shepherd's hook-style bell bow. He seemed happy with the horn that he had, though, and he sounded incredible every single night.

johnlakejazz.com
TheTrumpetShop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Warren Vache Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
I was looking for a video of Warren to send to a trumpet playing friend recently
He had never heard him play.
I found a series of recent videos of Warren playing trumpet. I've only seen him play cornet and flugel.
Anyone know Warren and why the switch to trumpet?

Hi peanuts56,

Warren plays a gold-plated Selmer Balanced Action trumpet, along with his cornet and Couesnon flugel. He sounds pretty sweet on it. He got it years ago because he loves Louis Armstrong like we all do, but sold it. He was able to reacquire it recently, so he now plays it on his gigs (because he sounds really sweet on it). He usually plays all 3 horns on a gig. Please check out his website http://www.warrenvache.com/ to see what he's up to next. I know he'll appreciate your interest.
hup_d_dup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Warren on Wednesday. Yes, the trumpet is a Selmer (circa 1950), although he didn't play it that night. Says he gets more requests for the cornet.

Hup
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: