• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bill Adam with earplugs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OndraJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject: Bill Adam with earplugs Reply with quote

I have to deal with a "sudden hearing loss". So I should practice and perform with earprotection.
How do you handle the approach/concept of bill adam with earplugs?

With both earplugs in I feel not good. It's hard to controll sound an pitch.
In my practiceroom I open the door of my wardrobe an aim the bill in it. That cancels some volume. I often use one plug and switch from left to ricght ear every few minutes.
But on stage with amps.... I'm lost.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find closed back earphones are more comfortable to practice in - I sometimes do this with my tracking cans - Beyerdynamic DT150.

When playing with ear protection the natural inclination is to over-blow. You gotta play way softer than you think to avoid over-taxing the chops and developing a spread sound/aperture.

Loud corporate bands make up the majority of my work - I always use ear plugs, you would be insane not to. It makes playing a compromise. You learn to play by feel and you really have to trust the projection and mic and back off. This is essential.

I prefer plugs with around 15db filters. I have used a lot of plugs and I am going to get moulded in ears made this year - colleagues say even the best in ears don't match moulds. I trust them.

So far the best 2 in ear plugs I have found are:

Etymotic ER20XS
Bananaz Thunderplugs

These let a little more high frequency thru which helps you get a sense that you aren't playing entirely underwater.

Good luck!
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bill Adam with earplugs Reply with quote

OndraJ wrote:
I have to deal with a "sudden hearing loss". So I should practice and perform with earprotection.
How do you handle the approach/concept of bill adam with earplugs?

With both earplugs in I feel not good. It's hard to controll sound an pitch.
In my practiceroom I open the door of my wardrobe an aim the bill in it. That cancels some volume. I often use one plug and switch from left to ricght ear every few minutes.
But on stage with amps.... I'm lost.

I did not have to deal with a "sudden hearing loss"- rather it was the annoying shrill sounds inside that made me aware "there was something rotten in the state of my ears". Turned out to be tinnitus (of course) - the result of years of too loud sound volumes in bands. Was told "never play in bigger bands than 4 guys - unless you get hearing protection - but no one can play with things like that". I got myself hearing protection, custom molded to my ears, both ears. Terrible feeling in the beginning - took me better part of a year to get, in some ways, used to this - but, better and better. I used, at the beginning, as Bach again, 15 dB damping, but soon 25 . Slowly I found that I could get used to hearing myself "inside", finding that I could play in tune - sometimes a real pain in the ....but the alternative? I´ve measured 110 dB at church concerts......
Today I use Etymotic electronically regulating the sound levels - sometimes a bl---y fiddling with the tiny tiny battery cells.... but my ears get the necessary protection.
Point being: The adaptation to the use of hearing protection takes some time - but eventually you´ll find that you can play the way you want.
Don´t give up - I´ve used hearing protection 20 years now - still playing lead, front row, solos.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bill Adam with earplugs Reply with quote

OndraJ wrote:
. So I should practice and perform with earprotection?

YESSSSSS!!! I don't think I know ANY professional musicians that have been at it a long time that don't have some form of hearing damage.

It DOES take a long time to get used to plugs/ in-ears or whatever but if you're experiencing problems now, it's NOT going to get any better so you have no choice!

I've been using custom mold plugs for @ 20 years and still when I take one out during a gig (when things are goin full gas) the response is always the same... OMG!!!

Yes, it's a drag to have to wear them but it beats losing your hearing!!

As for practicing, I use a 'Pampet' mute, as it's cheap and the only mute I've tried that I enjoy using.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't honestly have any experience with practicing with earplugs. I have worn in ear monitors for some gigs. It seems to me that it would be hard to apply this approach to practice with earplugs unless you find high end plugs that give a truly realistic sound with the real harmonic spectrum that is coming from the instrument.

Do any other Adam students have experience with using hearing protection in the practice room?
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:
...It seems to me that it would be hard to apply this approach to practice with earplugs unless you find high end plugs that give a truly realistic sound with the real harmonic spectrum that is coming from the instrument.(...)?

Aside from Adam studies, I use a Silent Brass fairly often and what Pat describes is an issue, as is a lack of real dynamic contrast heard through the headphones. The dynamic range is quite narrow and the cranked-in reverb/resonance is phony at best as compared to my actual tone. Still, for me, better than not playing on a regular basis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: