• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New 800DLX Eterna Deluxe Cornet - Hot off the presses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the praise. When we make something new, we obviously think it’s great. To be honest though, there is always a bit of apprehension waiting for real the world response. Now that 800DLX’s are getting out into the hands of real players we are starting to get the kind of feedback we were hoping for.

There seems to be a common thread so far. Looks great, plays great, love the case. The most interesting thing is the feedback from players of differing styles. Jazz players say it’s great for jazz. Soloists claim it for themselves. Brass band players think it was made just for them. And they’re all right.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.
There is much more fluidity in the brass band market these days, but the key to selling into it is having distribution in areas where lots of people learn to play the cornet - that means Europe and Scandinavia. Its not easy fighting against Yamaha in these markets. Even Besson is struggling a bit against Yamaha's huge marketing and sales machine.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironic that you mentioned European players. Two of the most glowing reviews I have gotten have come from a player in France and one in in Denmark.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
Stradbrother
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:
Ironic that you mentioned European players. Two of the most glowing reviews I have gotten have come from a player in France and one in in Denmark.

Hey Getzen folks

Just curious here, if you are able to answer at this time, is the 800DLX variant going to be a limited run as like a "limited throwback" sort of option, or will this be a long-term option like the regular 800?

Just curious!
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stradbrother wrote:
Getzen wrote:

Hey Getzen folks

Just curious here, if you are able to answer at this time, is the 800DLX variant going to be a limited run as like a "limited throwback" sort of option, or will this be a long-term option like the regular 800?

Just curious!

It is a standard production model. Though originally Brett and I thought about having the 900 and 907 Deluxe models only for the 80th anniversary of the company (which is why those first year Deluxes had anniversary engraving) we decided instead to keep them in production and even add to the line.

We currently have the 900, 907 and 800 Deluxe horns and are finalizing a C trumpet. I have a few ideas for a Deluxe flugel and just because the case would be hilariously small Brett wants a Deluxe piccolo trumpet. We'll see.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam R. Getzen wrote:
We currently have the 900, 907 and 800 Deluxe horns and are finalizing a C trumpet. I have a few ideas for a Deluxe flugel and just because the case would be hilariously small Brett wants a Deluxe piccolo trumpet. We'll see.

I've had my Eterna 896 flugelhorn since the late '70s. It's a great horn. If the Deluxe flugelhorn becomes a reality, put me down for one.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Stradbrother
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam R. Getzen wrote:
Stradbrother wrote:
Getzen wrote:

Hey Getzen folks

Just curious!

It is a standard production model. Though originally Brett and I thought about having the 900 and 907 Deluxe models only for the 80th anniversary of the company (which is why those first year Deluxes had anniversary engraving) we decided instead to keep them in production and even add to the line.

Holey Moley...

I have a Large Bore Eterna C with the SK serial number from the 80s (I think)

And it is still by far the best C I've played. Got me through college and use it when I sub in orchestras out here in California.

Wow. Between the 2 it is tough to decide. LOL
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello fellow cornet players,

I may be more than a little obsessed with Getzen's new 800 DLX Eterna Deluxe Cornet, but I haven’t seen anyone for an official prognosis. I have been watching this thread for any new posts of those who may have had the opportunity to play test or purchase it, but all has been quiet. I recently had an email exchange with a gentleman who was one of the first to purchase this new cornet. I asked why he choose to play it, and he said because it was light, responsive, and void of that stuffy feel so often found in cornets. He said the sterling silver lead pipe makes this cornet very responsive and sensitive.

This player was also privileged to select his cornet from the first batch Getzen produced. I was curious how the cornets compared to one another when play tested. He said Getzen’s consistency was excellent, and that they all played the same. Of course, he also wrote about the awesome lifetime warranted valves Getzen is famous for. When I asked about the finish option he chose, he stated that his was lacquer and simply stunning to look at.

Well, if you’ve been watching this thread like I have, you’ve probably been waiting for a new morsel of information to digest; now you have it.

If anyone else has any information to add concerning this cornet, please do. It’s good medicine in the mist of the current pandemic we’re facing.

-1957Tim
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: New 800DXL cornet-hot off the presses. Reply with quote

In the movie Ocean's Eleven, when they get a look at all the 160 million dollars they are about to steal, Carl Reiner smiles wryly and says, "That is the sexiest thing I have ever seen." That is my impression of this cornet.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one and I love everything about it! I must say, however it doesn’t play much better than my pre-800 Eterna .468 bore cornet and the valves aren’t as fast yet because they probably aren’t broken in yet.

That’s not a criticism of Getzen, just a testament to how great I think their cornets are.

The 800DLX is darker and more flexible, capable of more nuance.

Get one!
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bIbaumgarn – I think this beautiful cornet has captured your heart as well. I hope you have the opportunity to play test one of these, and when you do, make sure you let us know how it measured up.

markp – I am happy for you Mark; does yours have the lacquer finish? I personally think this horn is too pretty to hide under silver plating. I’m going to show my ignorance here as I don’t know the history of Getzen cornets. Is your older cornet a certain series, or is it simply an Eterna model? You shared that your older cornet has a .468 bore, and that your new 800 DLX does play better, if only marginally. Would you attribute any of the pluses of this horn to the slightly smaller bore?

I play in a Salvation Army Brass Band, and we have a 700 series Eterna cornet in our band room. Have you played one of these, and if so, how would it compare with either of your cornets? I have taken this 700 series cornet home on several occasions to clean and polish. I love Getzen’s craftsmanship, and who wouldn’t love to have their valve set? I always play a horn for a bit after giving it a cleaning, and while there is nothing wrong with the way this cornet plays, it never struck me as exceptional.

I play a Flip Oakes designed cornet, so this is the standard any cornet I have the opportunity to play test is compared to. While I love Flip’s design, and would never consider replacing his cornet, I do have room in my heart to love another horn if it touched me the right way. I’m sure you can relate.

Thank you for sharing your experience with Getzen’s finest cornet to date. I am looking forward to play testing one of these at some point. I love your quick and to the point closing remark, “Get one!” I wish it were that easy. It’s not unattainable, but I would need to convince my wife that I need another horn, and then come up with a workable plan to get it. All of this is possible, but it is a process. I am currently in the first stage of this process.

Thanks again Mark for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I look forward to hearing more.

-1957Tim
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

austincustombrass wrote:
I played this horn briefly at the US open Championships yesterday and was extremely impressed. It's a beautiful horn and quite stunning. It has a wonderful feel in the hands with good balance and of course the amazing Getzen valves. The horn plays very smoothly with great responsiveness. Intonation is excellent as well.

I hope to play the horn a bit more in the future!

-T

Trent,

Are you planning to carry them?

keith
CornetKent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already dearly love the 800 and this one just pretty much blows my mind..... WOW!!!
1964 King Silver Sonic cornet
1978 Bach 181 L cornet
1980s Courtois 104 cornet
2007 Bach 184 cornet
2008 Taylor Orpheus cornet
2015 Getzen 800 Eterna cornet
And More
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CornetKent,

Okay my friend, you’ve got to do better than that. I clicked on this thread hoping to read something that would keep me awake at night only to find your teaser statement. Did you purchase one of these coveted cornets, or just had the opportunity to try one? Was it lacquer or silver plate? Would you mind giving us a detailed account of how this cornet blew your mind, and how it is different than your 800-model cornet? Sorry for all the questions, but I’m afraid I may be falling in love with a cornet that I’ve never had a chance to meet, so I need lots of information.

I thank you in advance for taking the time to express your thoughts.

-1957Tim
CornetKent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey 1957 Tim,

I want to start with an apology! I now realize that my comment was a bit misleading. I have actually never had the good fortune to see one of these Deluxe models up close, let alone get to play one.

I do, however, see it as a real thing of beauty! For years, I have loved the 800 cornet design and the way that it feels and sounds. Mine is also in lacquer, which is the finish I like best. I can only imagine how this new deluxe version must sound with its Sterling Silver leadpipe! The other special features, such as traditional water keys and Art Deco engraving, are really nice too!.

The only thing that I am not sure of is the .462 large bore. Mine is a medium large and I really like it. That being said; I have other large bore cornets that I really like as well.

Either way, I find this new Deluxe version to be very exciting and would definitely consider buying one if I didn’t already have mine.

As a side note..... I love the Eterna Sevrensen or 900 Model trumpet as well. I have owned 3 of them and still have my favorite one. It seams that the Eterna horns are pretty much in a niche of there own and it is no surprise that they have such a strong and dedicated following!
1978 Bach 181 L cornet
2007 Bach 184 cornet
And More
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CornetKent,

No apology needed my friend. I am just a little overzealous in finding tidbits of information about this new Getzen 800 DLX cornet. I’ve been watching this thread since last fall and have enjoyed reading what others have said whose good fortune it was to test drive or purchase one.

This new model would fit real nice in your stable of horns. I have a nice early 50’s Conn 12A cornet with the Coprion bell. I enjoy playing it some, however, it is a good bit brighter than my daily player, a Flip Oakes Wild Thing copper belled cornet. How do you like your Conn 9A? I think these old Conn copper belled horns are works of art. Maybe that’s why this new Getzen cornet jumps out at me. Well my friend, keep enjoying your nice arsenal of horns and be sure to post on this thread if you have the opportunity to try the new 800 DLX.

God bless,

-1957Tim
CornetKent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tim,

It is interesting that you ask about the Conn 9A Copprion cornet. I am extremely fond of these particular cornets! I have owned a total of 3 and still have 2 of them. I don’t want to stray too far off the topic of this thread but I really do like the characteristics of the Copprion bell Conns....... in my experience, all the things that we have heard about Copprion are pretty much true!

Having said that, I would never be without an 800 Eterna. It is truly one of my all time very favorite cornets........
1978 Bach 181 L cornet
2007 Bach 184 cornet
And More
BarryJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received my new Getzen 800DLX cornet. After several days’ delay due to rioting and protests in the Chicago area, the silver-plated horn arrived in flawless condition, an absolutely gorgeous horn. Over the previous ten years I have been playing a Getzen 3850, which was the finest instrument I’ve ever owned. The 800 DLX is every bit as nice and better in many respects.

Where to begin? The tone has a subtle richness – a lyrical singing quality - that’s difficult to describe. Notes slot perfectly so that you can play down pitch centers effortlessly. I’ve had the horn for three days now. When it first arrived, I went a bit crazy practicing non-stop for several hours, going through both classical and jazz material. At the end of the practice session my lips weren't the least bit swollen, as fresh as when I started. The horn is much easier to play than my 3850 and seems to require less air while delivering a huge singing tone that I can hold over longer duration.

The 800DLX feels physically lighter that the 3850. I am still getting use to the third slide ring, where my other horn has triggers to adjust for intonation, but that’s a manageable issue. Speaking of intonation, the intonation on the 800DLX is quite amazing. Every note is where it needs to be with minimum slide adjustment. The lead pipe also has a unique feel – very smooth and buttery (i.e. maybe that’s not quite the right term). I’m able to play fast across all three register without missing tones. The ML-plus 462 bore gives a very comfortable, free-blowing feel in the upper register with plenty of sparkle, while dropping down to pianissimo without difficulty. Regarding the valves, they’re smooth, fast and don’t stick.
I should mention that I use a rather large mouthpiece with a deep, V-shaped cup and huge throat which produces a mellow, ‘brass band’ cornet sound. I’m sure that the horn might respond differently depending on a player’s equipment and musical mindset.
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryJ,

Let me start first by welcoming you to this forum. There are many fine people here who will relate to you because of your affliction for twisted brass and your love of playing. We have members who currently, or in the past have made their living playing these horns we love. We have other members who make their living repairing these brass instruments, and still others whose livelihood comes from designing and building God’s instrument, as Maynard Ferguson used to say.

I’ve purchased horns from TH members I would have never met had I not joined this forum. Experience is a great teacher, and we have many players here who freely share their wit and wisdom, and the rest of us are the beneficiaries.

Now let me congratulate you on the purchase of Getzen’s finest cornet to date, the 800DLX. I’ve read many great things about the 3850 you’ve been playing, and nothing but positive things about the 800 DLX. What was it that made you decide to purchase this horn? Were you able to try one before purchasing it? Are you primarily a cornet player? What type of music do you play? Do you play in any groups, and if so, has any of you cornet playing friends taken your new cornet for a test drive. Do you plan to keep your Getzen 3850?

Well my friend, I apologize for all the questions, but I’m picking everyone’s mind I can about this horn. I plan to own a Getzen designed horn someday, and this just may be the one.

Take care and God bless,

-1957Tim
BarryJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,
I decided to purchase the horn after noticing a post on the Trumpet Herald that Getzen was selling a few horns that they previously used as demos, and an 800DLX was among the mix. I previously bought my 3850 sight unseen after reading many favorable posts. The horn played so well that I put down the trumpet altogether and switched over exclusively to cornet. I even used the 3850 cornet playing principal trumpet in a community orchestra with strings and there were no problems. I do quite a bit of classical but also grew up playing bebop and mainstream jazz. Interestingly, the 800DLX adapts equally well in both settings.

I may end up selling the 3850, if for no other reason than the fact that the 800DLX takes les effort to play while still producing a stunning tone. I’m in my mid-seventies and my lungs don’t function as efficiently. As mentioned in the previous post, I can sustain tones and play with increased stamina on the new 800DLX horn. Also, there is a certain richness (i.e. I’m tempted to use the word ‘sparkle’ but I realize that’s a bit of a weird term). This may be a result of the sterling silver mouthpipe coupled with the rose brass bell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: