• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Marketplace Transaction Advise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bb Bob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Marketplace Transaction Advise Reply with quote

Hi All,

Given all the current scams and phishing ploys, what’s the best / safest way to perform a Marketplace transaction with fellow TH members. I am currently interested in an item and have a few that would do better in a new home. Would like to know what the current thinking and experiences are.

Thanks for all of your helpful advice

Best regards,

Bob
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On small items of less that $100 I don't worry about it very much. In fact, for mouthpieces I wrap them in paper towels, shove them into a large 9x12 envelope folded into quarters and secured with packing tape and ship them uninsured nearly anywhere in the US for about $5.

For horns, either buying or selling, I always talk to the other party via phone and get a home address. I usually also do an internet search to see if they come up anywhere. I use paypal for the transaction and ship the item insured and packed very well. Usually about $75 in the US. Dr. Valve has a nice tutorial on his website about how to pack a horn so it doesn't get damaged. The biggest tip is IF you ship a horn in it's case, you MUST add extra padding between the bell and the case so if won't get damaged.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had nothing but positive experiences buying and selling in the marketplace over many years. But it's the internet, you have to be careful. Here are some things I do:

- I always check out the person's email that they send me and do a little Googling. If they're a professional musician or a teacher, they'll usually come right up. Most actual trumpet players are on the internet somewhere for something. If you can't find anything, it's a big red flag. I don't buy anything from high schoolers, college students, or non-professionals, because in my experience they don't take care of their equipment at all.

- Any time I've purchased something actually expensive, I insist on a short phone call with the seller. Ask them a few questions about the item and trumpet playing in general. It will be immediately clear if this person is actually a trumpet player or not.

- When in doubt, ask for very specific extra photos. If they can supply them, then at least you can trust that the item in question exists.

- If you can't find them on the internet, can't get them on the phone, and can't get extra photos, then it's time to move on and forget about it. This goes for buying AND selling. It's just not worth the hassle dealing with scammers or young punks.

Good luck and happy buying/selling! Again, I've only had great experiences, but you do have to be careful.
Bb Bob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who responded. Solid advice!
Vince.Green
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle is right on with the comments
Wondra
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently sold a trumpet case on the marketplace and the buyer wanted to meet me via video (we used FaceBook video). Then he asked to see the case as well. This is a great way to both get acquainted AND verify that the seller has the item. Trust and verify!

Don't make me get the flying monkeys...
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
I don't buy anything from high schoolers, college students, or non-professionals, because in my experience they don't take care of their equipment at all.

Well, sir, some of us “non-professionals” know a lot about equipment and take darn good care of it.
Ancientram

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Buying and Selling on TH Reply with quote

I've bought and sold a number of trumpets, guitars, and lutes on eBay and bought several items here on TH. Never had any problems with transactions here.

Onlyson has some good info.

In shipping horns, I've always had UPS do the packing. It may cost more, but if you have UPS do the packing, they cannot claim "inadequate packing" if it arrives to the buyer damaged.

If you do pack a horn yourself, wrap the whole thing in lots of bubble wrap. Damage occurs when the case stops moving abruptly, but the loose horn inside doesn't. If you ship it in its case, use as much bubble wrap as you can and still get the case closed. Then, wrap the case in lots of bubble wrap and bury it in a large box of plastic peanuts. Even so, ship it UPS or FedEx. They both will pay claims much quicker than the US Post Office.

That said, USPS is great for mouthpieces.

Hope this helps,
Steve
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Marketplace transaction advice Reply with quote

Hello all,
All great strategies. I look at the years on the TH and the number of posts. I google the people, I use facebook and I have numerous emails and phone calls when possible. After all the years, I have even developed some friendships through some of my communications. I expect the same from people when I have things to sell. In fact, I want to have conversation with folks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: