• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

XO 3C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: XO 3C Reply with quote

For some lead gigs I bought a demo lacquered Jupiter Ingram. A great horn as I learned to know in some tough gigs.
By accident - normally I don't care for the horn-accessory 7c-mouthpiece-clones - I tried the included mouthpiece marked with "XO 3C". I was positively surprised by the quality of the XO-horn so I was curious if the mpc with the XO on it is as diligently made.
And it is! It is bigger than some 3C's that I tried. The rim is for my lips perfect. Not sharp, not a cushion but smooth and round. A joy coming from a already comfy Courtois 1-1/2C. The attacks are crisp. The sound is pure and more on the bright side. But - besides the great rim - it has the perfect mix of openness and resistance in all registers for my mainly large horns. Other mpcs play great down low but need much power to light up. This one is sweet to the pedals and has plenty power above the staff.
Perhaps or probably it is just another unimportant no-name 3C for most trumpetplayers but it ist quite perfect for me. And I play the trumpet for almost 30 years now with lots of mpcs on the way.
a) if you have a XO 3C: it is worth a try. Perhaps it is a nice surprise for you as well. b) if you have a XO 3C and don't care for its existence. (That is why it is still like new.) Let me know: I would love to have a second one as a reserve. Please PM.
I live in Germany and contacted the Europe-office of XO. But while the mouthpiece is made thousand and thousand times they now try to find a way to get a mpc without a horn what seems to be quite difficult.
Thx in advance / have fun trying your XO-mpc.

(I am sorry if there are mistakes in my post but my English is a bit rusty.)
CDFhorn

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: XO 3C Reply with quote

PM sent.

evolution wrote:
For some lead gigs I bought a demo lacquered Jupiter Ingram. A great horn as I learned to know in some tough gigs.
By accident - normally I don't care for the horn-accessory 7c-mouthpiece-clones - I tried the included mouthpiece marked with "XO 3C". I was positively surprised by the quality of the XO-horn so I was curious if the mpc with the XO on it is as diligently made.
And it is! It is bigger than some 3C's that I tried. The rim is for my lips perfect. Not sharp, not a cushion but smooth and round. A joy coming from a already comfy Courtois 1-1/2C. The attacks are crisp. The sound is pure and more on the bright side. But - besides the great rim - it has the perfect mix of openness and resistance in all registers for my mainly large horns. Other mpcs play great down low but need much power to light up. This one is sweet to the pedals and has plenty power above the staff.
Perhaps or probably it is just another unimportant no-name 3C for most trumpetplayers but it ist quite perfect for me. And I play the trumpet for almost 30 years now with lots of mpcs on the way.
a) if you have a XO 3C: it is worth a try. Perhaps it is a nice surprise for you as well. b) if you have a XO 3C and don't care for its existence. (That is why it is still like new.) Let me know: I would love to have a second one as a reserve. Please PM.
I live in Germany and contacted the Europe-office of XO. But while the mouthpiece is made thousand and thousand times they now try to find a way to get a mpc without a horn what seems to be quite difficult.
Thx in advance / have fun trying your XO-mpc.

(I am sorry if there are mistakes in my post but my English is a bit rusty.)
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello -- I'm bumping up this older thread because I think it may be helpful to some, especially if you can't afford high-end mouthpieces. I recently had a very similar experience to the original poster. I bought a Jupiter XO 1602LTR trumpet, and it came with an XO 3C mouthpiece. I am amazed at how well it plays! Like many (most) trumpet players, I've played dozens of mouthpiece from many different makers, and this is one of the best. It has a very comfortable rim, huge sound, and plays well in all registers. For me, the resistance with my Stomvi S3 trumpet is perfect. There's an old anecdote that if you asked a lot of great trumpet players back in the day what mouthpiece they play, they would answer, "The one that came in the case." There may well be some truth to that. But in any event, the XO 3C really is great.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a bigger throat?

Reason I ask is that I have a Jupiter 3C, gold plated, that has something like a #24 throat. Thats how it was made.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't measure it up and compare it to other throats but it has a bit less resistance than other 3Cs that I have played. It takes a bit more air and gives a clear and strong sound that can cut well. I still love it to pieces every time I play it.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the Jupiter 3C I have. It is also wider than most 3Cs.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I got the information from EU-headquarter of XO, that the Jupiter 3C is the same mpc.
I especially like the comfortable rim that feels soft but with top notch articulation. When I go to my Bach 1-1/2C it feels smaller than the XO 3C. Perhaps cause of more inner bite.

All in all: I do not have any things I would want to change on the 3C. Perfect fit for me. And a complete accident that I found it and tried it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: