• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Case for Rotarys?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Case for Rotarys? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a double or triple hard case for my Bb + C rotarys. They don't fit in most of the cases I have which include both brass bag and Stomvi quads as well as Yamaha doubles. I am currently using a 2.5 gig bag but have too much $$ invested in the horns to use it long term. Any input is appreciated.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a single case for my rotary from Austin Custom Brass. I know Weimann lists cases on their website. Maybe talk to Trent Austin about getting a double case?
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did email Alex at Weimann because I have their horns. Their cases are made by Marcus Bona and built for rotary horns but with shipping they would run $400-450. I'm not ruling it out but am checking out options. Thanks.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my Yamaha rotaries in an older Schilke double case. It seems to work fine...

HTH

Ben
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Weimanns fit fine in a Yamaha Double case (the old wooden one that came with 6000 series and Xeno horns).

If I use one case, I'll put them either in a Torpedo Outlaw or a single Rocky Mountain Caseworks bag.

L
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
Aspeyrer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try putting it in the outermost slot of the stomvi quad

It’s really strange you mentioned 3 cases that your rotary doesn’t fit. I have those exact three cases and my rotaries fit in all 3.
For the stomvi quad, i need to put the rotary in the outermost spot (furthest from the pivot point). The rotaries fit very will in every position of the brass bags quad case. It also fits very well in the newer and older Yamaha doubles.

I’m not sure why your rotary wouldn’t fit. It seems you have a wiemann and I presume it’s a C. While i don’t have a wiemann, both my Bb monke and C ricco fit in those three cases. In fact, last night another trumpeter brought their wiemann C to rehearsal in a recently purchased stomvi quad. I can assure you that a wiemann C fits the stomvi quad.

If you’re looking to purchase another, Schagerl makes a decent looking hard case (or at least has it made for them).
Ancientram

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Double Case for Rotaries Reply with quote

My Lechner C and Bb rotaries both fit nicely in my Marcus Bona double.

HTH,
Steve
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the reply's. It does seem to be the Weimann Classico Bb that is the most problematic. I did try the Stomvi quad and older style Yamaha double again this morning. With each of them when the cover is just set down and not pushed at all there is about a 1" gap that I am not comfortable "forcing" closed. That gap is not present with any of my other horns. I have made sure the instruments are in the most efficient position for proper closing although I'm not certain the Bb was in the outer most slot of the Stomvi and will double check that. Thanks again for the help.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott!

I just take the tuning slide and secure it in a cloth for my stomvi case. Also works for Yamaha Doubles. Really with the tuning slide it it fits in most. But I have a set of Schagerls.

Looks like non of my colleagues have any issues with the fit in the Brass Bags case.
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:

Looks like non of my colleagues have any issues with the fit in the Brass Bags case.

The Brass Bags was the closest but there is definitely a bulge in the case when it is zipped up that made me uncomfortable. My quintet partner had a very bad experience recently with a soft case and it has made my pretty cautious. Especially with these horns.

I will try the tuning slide removal. Sound like a good idea. Thanks.
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, the Marcus Bonna double, or Basili double, are the best options.

https://www.dillonmusic.com/basili-cases-double-trumpet-case.html?id=28662939&quantity=1

None of the protec or Propac Multi cases really have enough space for the slide on a B-flat Rotary, especially if you have the big bell. One thing, you can take the main tuning slide out, wrap in a rag and store beside the horn. That lets the trumpets fit in a lot more cases. If you do that, they should both fit in your Yamaha doubles.

I do keep C rotary in a Bags of Spain quad. Middle bay, push the slide all the way in, then cut out the section of foam putting pressure on the slide out (cut out a notch). Also be sure the horn cannot rotate and rest on the leadpipe at all - keep it vertical, otherwise it can possibly bend the leadpipe-bell brace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: