• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

πŸ™„

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
popTbop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: πŸ™„ Reply with quote

Last edited by popTbop on Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to get my popcorn out while I watch/read this thread develop...

adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, my trumpet teacher, John Coppola told me that when he played lead on Stan Kenton's band in the early fifties, he and Maynard were room mates. John said that the band would often end the first set with "A Train", if memory serves me correctly. He said that on the last note, no matter how loud the band was playing, and we all know how loud the Kenton band was capable of playing, Maynard would play a double C that covered the band. John said it was like a freight train running through the ballroom. That's pretty tough to beat.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my personal experience, I'm going to say Jon Faddis. He was guesting with a big band and played a few tunes from the section. On the end of one piece, I had an F above high C. I played it as strong and loud as I had ever played one. Jon was standing next to me, came in on the F, and took it up an octave to F above double C. It was so loud, my ears couldn't tell if I was still playing or not. His double high F was the only thing I could hear in the room.
Some other really loud one would be Roger Ingram and Dennis Noday.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From numerous, in-person accounts: Jerry Callet.

He ran a competition as well, offering a large sum of money to anyone who could play louder or higher than him (IIRC) and nobody was successful in taking the money home, including Arturo. If someone wants to add detail to this, please do.

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29888&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=ea92eb836798950b89af360da835a370

...and of course this has been discussed many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many other times as well.

Very unfortunate that the compiled content and commentary from trumpetstuff.com is long gone, it was a really fun site. There had been a note about John Madrid, that he had the loudest high note ever recorded, though surely it was something above DHC...
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faddis in person is incredibly powerful. I heard Maynard in his early 40’s and he could peel paint. One other person I was able to hear live was Cat Anderson. Not quite as powerful as Faddis or Maynard but still impressive.
underdog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: loudest double C Reply with quote

Okay... I can't help myself and I have to chime in. Speaking of volume and peeling paint ONLY. Not necessarily quality or anything else. Just sheer "oh my word that takes my head off and is bright!" (And don't read into that comment by interpreting that I'm saying that my choices don't have big fat resonant sounds on their double C's. I'm just qualifying this answer to the post as volume.

Callet, Faddis, Nicholson, Roger Ingram. I'm sure that there are tons of other guys that we've probably never heard of that probably have almost as much volume as those guys too!...
https://www.instagram.com/lessonswithstudiomusicians/
http://nashvillestudioorchestra.com/site-administrator/
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three loudest I've heard personally were Chase, Ferguson, and Biviano.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like these threads - reminds me of the old TH before everyone got so touchy around here.

Sam Hoyt and Bryan Davis have my votes.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without scientific gear there's no way to know but Maynard would have to be on the list. When I first heard him live having only heard him on records I wasn't prepared for how loud he could play - and this wasn't even in-his-youthful-prime Maynard. He had a mic but it didn't seem to matter whether he used it or not, he was clearly audible over the band.

I never heard him in person but I've always heard Bud Brisbois had a huge sound.

I watched clinics/concerts by both Vince DiMartino and Bobby Shew - lots of loudness in evidence.

Watch the video of Lionel Hampton's band playing "Birth Of The Blues" with Walt Johnson soloing, he definitely made his presence known.

Saw the Navy Commodores at the Naval School Of Music when I was in the Army and their lead player Gary Adams was shaking the rafters.

I don't know how loud his dub C's specifically were in comparison but Doc in his heyday had a huge sound - one of the Tonight Show tapings I went to see, the band was warming up and you could hear Doc somewhere backstage doing elephant calls in response to the band. When they fired up their first pre-taping tune you could hear Doc soaring over the band, not even using a mic. Doc had to have one of the best "sound to weight" ratios of all time. He's probably about 5'8", with a slender build especially in his younger days but he could crank up the loud.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only strong double Cs I’ve heard in concerts that I know offhand are Wayne Bergeron, Arturo and Bobby Shew. All of them were mic’d. Bergeron has the most effortless sounding. Hmm I need to go hear some high notes...
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
Faddis in person is incredibly powerful. I heard Maynard in his early 40’s and he could peel paint. One other person I was able to hear live was Cat Anderson. Not quite as powerful as Faddis or Maynard but still impressive.

Was two feet from his (Faddis) bell one night in Washington DC (Blues Alley). I've sat in that same seat when Maynard was two feet from my ears. Both were obnoxious in terms of loudness, and I loved every note.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
Cat sounded very loud to me on the vids i heard (mostly the El gato in Sweden version, with Clark Terry, Ray Nance, etc)

Well, Roger Ingram said Lynn has the loudest DHC he has ever heard
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot about Jerry Callet. I never heard him perform but did take some lessons with him. I only heard him play some exercises, Clarke's Technical Studies etc. He had incredible power and barely looked like he was even playing.
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loud is relative..Played next to Mr. Faddis a few times in a couple of different venues and standing next to him it was not very loud at all..until I realized I could really hear him coming back from the back wall; Projection city!
Played with Arturo a few times and it was FAT all over the place..Both of them total monsters but different.
Played with Roger and is a fantastic player with great double Hi range, and really lays down the lead parts.
Another very strong player is Charlie Davis. Covers the band and has the Doubles,although most impressive in the G`s and A`s range I think.His sound reminds me almost like an orchestral player with a turbo charged hi range.
There are others, but I gotta go practice!
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, I had the opportunity to be on the stage of the Tonight Show between the end of the rehearsal and the taping of the show. Doc was practicing, with Johnny Audino and Snooky Young sitting on one of the risers. For the 45 minutes or so that I was there, Doc played the whole time. I have never heard such a huge sound and it was the same regardless of the register he was playing in.

About 15 years ago I was at Lincoln Center for the closing concert of the Essentially Ellington Competition that my son's high school band competed in. The Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra with Wynton was on stage performing when Jon Faddis stepped out unannounced. We were sitting in the very last row at the back of the theater, way at the top. The only way to be farther away from the stage was to blow a hole in the back wall. Faddis sat in with the band standing in front of the rhythm section UNMIKED. His sound projected across the hall and to our ears, sounded like he was three feet in front of us with his bell pointed directly at us. Unbelievable projection.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
Years ago, my trumpet teacher, John Coppola told me that when he played lead on Stan Kenton's band in the early fifties, he and Maynard were room mates. John said that the band would often end the first set with "A Train", if memory serves me correctly. He said that on the last note, no matter how loud the band was playing, and we all know how loud the Kenton band was capable of playing, Maynard would play a double C that covered the band. John said it was like a freight train running through the ballroom. That's pretty tough to beat.

One of my undergrad professors told me about attending a Kenton concert when Maynard was on the band. True to the quote above, he said that the band was roaring full volume and Maynard came in on a double C that literally canceled out the band.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another player that should be mentioned in this conversation..Walter White; Strong like bull!
Jazzer1968

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably also in the game would be James Morrison ... watching him open the Olympic games with his fanfare kills me each time ... what a monster ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: