• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Regarding Forum Civility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Regarding Forum Civility Reply with quote

Regarding Forum Civility, a thread called "Tongue level and range....topped out" was just pulled.

Granted it was an older thread that I brought back from the dead last night (it was late, I was on my iPhone and I didn't realize the thread was from 2012). And granted, back in 2012 that thread had some pretty inflammatory stuff in it (but none from me, because back in 2012 I had made one and only one post in that thread and my post was somewhere in the middle of page NINE of that long thread).

What I wrote in that thread late last night and earlier today was polite and not in the least bit inflammatory. And the replies I read from others that had been posted today were also all polite.

I'd really like to know why that thread was pulled.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its probably as simple as, your reviving the discussion brought its incivility by others to the surface, and instantly doomed it. The appearance of the mothballed jabs and barbs might have triggered new ones. I'm sure no reflection on you.

Just my $.02
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be. It's frustrating because in my first post there today (not last night) I spent a lot of time sharing what I feel is happening as I ascend into the upper register as far as air, lips and tongue level is concerned and also replying to others who had replied to me. But that said, what I wrote was rather lengthy (all my posts there today). Perhaps the moderators, or a moderator feels I'm taking up to much bandwidth. If that's the case, I'd appreciate some input from them or him about that and then I'd try to be more succinct in my posts (which is probably a good idea anyway).
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood. And of course you lost all you typed. Maybe you can re-do it and in the process, improve and streamline the post. Just looking for a sliver lining...
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John worked on a lengthy post. Would be frustrating too if it dissapeared. Not a hint of tension on the new posts of the revived thread.

This is unusual.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

JetJaguar wrote:
Understood. And of course you lost all you typed. Maybe you can re-do it and in the process, improve and streamline the post. Just looking for a sliver lining...

Funny thing is, I often save what I type, but I didn't this time. I thought about saving the posts today - I even copied and pasted them to a word doc (which I usually do to look for errors). But I didn't save any of them because I thought the the new posts on the thread (mine and the others) were very civil, so they thread wasn't in any danger.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

kalijah wrote:
John worked on a lengthy post. Would be frustrating too if it dissapeared. Not a hint of tension on the new posts of the revived thread.

This is unusual.

Exactly!!!
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google has a cache of many websites (and they're probably also on the internet archive), so, for instance, I searched the title of your thread and it gave me this:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:DyDJ7J13dB4J:https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php%3Fp%3D1250030+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=tw

I can't imagine the moderators would mind you copy and pasting your very helpful responses into a new post. I think they just don't want a forum full of vitriol and long-running grudges.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John. Sorry to hear about this. This is at least the second thread this week to get pulled (a BAC/Martin being the other). I appreciate what you're saying. I also think the moderators have a tough job, and while I may not always agree with their editing choices, I appreciate what they're doing.

If you haven't considered it, maybe contact the moderators directly. You can send a PM to "Moderators".

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it wasn't a computer glitch? This happens from time to time while running trumpetboards.com. I'll move servers and then something inevitably gets deleted.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
Google has a cache of many websites (and they're probably also on the internet archive), so, for instance, I searched the title of your thread and it gave me this:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:DyDJ7J13dB4J:https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php%3Fp%3D1250030+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=tw

I can't imagine the moderators would mind you copy and pasting your very helpful responses into a new post. I think they just don't want a forum full of vitriol and long-running grudges.

Thanks, but as far as I can tell that cache of the thread doesn't have any of the posts after some point in 2012.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
Hi John. Sorry to hear about this. This is at least the second thread this week to get pulled (a BAC/Martin being the other). I appreciate what you're saying. I also think the moderators have a tough job, and while I may not always agree with their editing choices, I appreciate what they're doing.

If you haven't considered it, maybe contact the moderators directly. You can send a PM to "Moderators".

Mike

Hi Mike,

I thought about contacting the moderators privately, but after seeing their latest post (made today) in the locked topic "Forum Civility" I figured I'd make my query about this public by starting this thread. That way if they respond, more people will see it and gain an understanding of what happened to the thread.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25407

LaTrompeta wrote:
Are you sure it wasn't a computer glitch? This happens from time to time while running trumpetboards.com. I'll move servers and then something inevitably gets deleted.

I'm pretty sure it's not a computer glitch, given what the Moderators wrote in their locked topic "Forum Civility" today.

Also, I've seen three threads get either locked now, or in one case my post was removed (that happened in the CG forum). And for that one, I received a Topic Reply Notification e-mail from the Trumpet Herald, but the subject line of the e-mail had been altered to read:

"Topic Reply Notification - Mohan split from "CG Benge on eBay" / CG Forum"

So someone didn't like what I posted there. What I had posted was basically my frustration that certain people (I did not name names) seem to spend a lot of their time making proclamations that tongue level is not causal in the production of high notes despite much evidence to the contrary. I did rant a bit, and it was an old topic I had resurrected (guilty again!) but I don't think what I wrote broke any rules (and it was in a dedicated forum where the role of tongue level is held to be an important one). But apparently a moderator didn't like what I wrote.

How ironic for me to get a post of mine kicked out of the Claude Gordon Forum - a dedicated forum I was the original Moderator of!

Best wishes to both of you!

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: