• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Military march repertoire

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nathanamiranda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Military march repertoire Reply with quote

I've always had a really great appreciation for military bands - so much as to where I've decided to make it my career. But something about marches in particular really speaks to me, I LOVE marches! Near any style, composer, nationality, I've probably listened to them all, and if there's one nation that stands out above the others (apart from Sousa in the US), it's Great Britain! British marches are just absolutely great, and composers in military bands regularly come out with spectacular marches to strengthen their band's repertoire every year.
HM Royal Marines always catches my eye, my counterparts across the pond boasting Vivian Dunn and Richard Waterer as some of their great march composers. Wondering if anyone knows where I can find some sheet music to their vast expanse of marches, maybe there are some bandsmen out there who can point me in the right direction. Not just limiting to HMRM, I'm open to any source of British marches!
Cornets:
ACB Doublers
Flugel:
Olds Superstar
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenneth J. Alford and his music always come to mind when I think of British marches. So many fine ones from him - HM Jollies, Eagle Squadron, Colonel Bogey, Army of the Nile. Voice of the Guns... You should check out Washington Grays (Grafula) and Slavic Farewell (Agapkin) if you do not already know them.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for starters this page:

https://www.bandmusicpdf.org

Much of this music in it original form is now public domain. Scores are becoming more easily found.

I too love marches, as long as the group is willing to play them well, and not just slog through them.
I had USAF band assignements in Japan and Europe - found some very cool marches that otherwise I would have never known about.

Don't be mislead though, military bands don't necessarily play a ton of marches. Quite often we played the same relatively few over and over.

dig, dig, dig... they're out there.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
for starters this page:https://www.bandmusicpdf.org
That's a great source, zaferis.

I would suggest you also look into German/Prussian/Austrian marches. There are some very musically satisfying ones.
A good start: Deutschmeister Regimentsmarsch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDnmVa393VA

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Military march repertoire Reply with quote

Keep up your interest in military marches and music. That and not other things are the basis for being a good band or particularly brass band player in MHO. my humble opinion. In college each day of symphonic band started after warm ups with marches. Try finding the U.S. Air Force band website as they have quite a few recordings you can listen to online. The Navy Band also. The municipal band I used to play in had several german and european marches in their folders given by their sister city in Germany. Those were wonderful marches. Good Luck pursuing a career with a military band.
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you love playing marches then the US military bands are where you belong, and I'm not talking about the "premier" bands.

I spent 14 years in the US Navy as a musician, and over those 14 years, I played more marches than I could fathom. I also HATE marches now!

I will say though, I did at one time enjoy playing them, especially the British marches.

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JGulyas wrote:
I spent 14 years in the US Navy as a musician, and over those 14 years, I played more marches than I could fathom. I also HATE marches now!

Military band alumni here, too. We actually never played that many marches. They are, of course, part-and-parcel of military ceremonies. Hate marching. (Felt kind of good, emotionally, doing them, though).

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not entirely military band marches, this book may interest you:

https://www.stantons.com/sheet-music/title/march-music-melodies/G5724/

I've often thought that there is a certain power, cleanliness of articulation, and endurance that young trumpet players lack due to not playing marches.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: