• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Heavy bottom valve caps

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkutcher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Heavy bottom valve caps Reply with quote

Yes or no and why? I have never used them but know lots of players do. Worth looking into?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many players who claim heavy bottom valve provide a benefit. I'm in no position to dispute any of these personal claims. I can neither prove nor disprove such claims as they apply to individual players because they are based in personal opinion.

That being said, I think there is no substitute for skill on the horn. As long as you are playing a decent horn in good working condition I don't think any modification to the horn is going to improve your results to any significant degree.

If it would why wouldn't the manufacturer have included the modification, especially something as simple as heavy bottom valve caps? From the outset it would cost only pennies more to make heavy bottom valve caps than it does to make lightweight bottom valve caps. It's just the cost of the materials (which hardly cost anything). Why wouldn't a manufacturer want to make their horn the best it can be?

Obviously, most manufacturers don't believe heavy bottom valve caps offer any advantages.

I don't have an objection to heavy bottom valve caps per se. My objection is the idea that gadgets, gizmos and horn modifications can substitute in any way for a lack of skill on the horn. These things become addictive and at the end of the day the player is the same player they were at the beginning of the day, there is no significant change being affected by the gadgets, gizmos and horn modifications.

Once again, there are players who swear by these things. I can only report my own observations: Over 60 years I've seen lots of players mess with things like heavy bottom valve caps, changing the braces, tone rings on mouthpieces, heavy horns, lightweight horns, etc., etc., etc. I've never seen a single player who was a better player solely on the basis of any of these changes. Different? Maybe. Better? No way.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I see now that the OP has posted only 5 times and all the questions are coming at once. So are the questions facetious? Is this just an effort to get enough posts to list something in the marketplace? Was the question really an honest question, posed to invoke a discussion? I don't know. I guess we'll see based on the OP's future responses and participation in the forum. As for me, I feel a little duped at this point. If, in the future, the OP contributes to what TH is trying to achieve I'll feel differently.

I suggest that no one post further in this thread unless and until the OP shows an effort to contribute.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also suggest that no one buy anything from the OP unless he proves himself to be a contributor here.
rkutcher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm a real person, and (mostly) honest. LOL. These are questions I've had. But also, there is a requirement to post 5 times prior to being able to post in the MarketPlace. I've just bought a new Austin Winds horn, which I absolutely love, and have a 'renewed' interest in lots of trumpet things. Granted, these 5 were so that I might be able to sell my old horn.
rkutcher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies if I have offended anyone. It was not intentional.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkutcher wrote:

No worries. There are some on here who question whether the site should require the five posts. Some advocate for more, some for less. Some advocate for significant meaningful posts.

All of these views are valid, but it can be brutal for newbies if they cross the threshold for one or more of these categories.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkutcher wrote:
Yes, I'm a real person, and (mostly) honest. LOL. These are questions I've had. But also, there is a requirement to post 5 times prior to being able to post in the MarketPlace. I've just bought a new Austin Winds horn, which I absolutely love, and have a 'renewed' interest in lots of trumpet things. Granted, these 5 were so that I might be able to sell my old horn.

Please stick around and become an active member of the TH community!

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
rkutcher wrote:

Please stick around and become an active member of the TH community!

I completely agree. TH is a great forum for gaining information and sharing ideas.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
rkutcher wrote:

No worries. There are some on here who question whether the site should require the five posts. Some advocate for more, some for less. Some advocate for significant meaningful posts.

All of these views are valid, but it can be brutal for newbies if they cross the threshold for one or more of these categories.

+1.

Brad.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
... but it can be brutal for newbies if they cross the threshold for one or more of these categories.

"It" being the self-appointed vigilantes who harass new posters (who are not violating any forum rule) with personal attacks. It's called hazing.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
multiphonic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkutcher wrote:

No need to apologize for playing by the rules.

Welcome to the forum.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkutcher wrote:

Don't worry about it. Welcome to TH. Looking forward to your becoming an active member.
Because there have been some scams on the marketplace, many here are leery of people making the requisite 5 posts and then selling. As you settle in, that should fade away.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkutcher wrote:

Weighted caps help offset the inertia difference with modern thinner valve casings (as opposed to the heavy old 2-piece style). How good an idea they are depends on what you feel most comfortable with as a player - and how the particular horn currently fits that mold.

In the case of your new horn, which I see elsewhere is a 460LT, that horn has a Bach heritage wherein the use of weighted caps is quite common among those who use that particular ancestral model. However, AW does not typically put the heavy trim kit on the Concert line (though I think I did play one once that had them).

I like the horn generally, as an example of AW showing how their design surpasses the performance of the related Kanstul 1503 while being built by Kanstul (before they went under). If you would like a little more inertia to the partial, maybe a little stronger core when you push, weighted caps can make a slight difference. Its not a big difference, but sometimes it is noticeable.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I would like to commend you on your honesty regarding the 5 posts. As far as heavy caps are concerned, I always considered heavy valve caps, weighted mouthpieces, movable sound posts, sound bridges and the like as being ineffective gimmicks. Not anymore. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, depending on the horn and/or mouthpiece.

As far as heavy caps, they did wonders for my Adams F1 flugelhorn, on which I use them on all three valves. I used four on my Schilke P5-4 but did not like using them when I switched to a P7-4. On my Yamaha C trumpet, only one on the third valve works best for me and on my Schilke Bb's, they "kill the ring" in the sound so I don't use them at all.

The best way to find out is to try heavy caps. And you may find that they work best on all three valves, on only one or two (and then you have to determine which one or two), or not at all. Keep in mind, this kind of experimentation can be frustrating, time consuming, and above all expensive.
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long before Heavy Caps were a thing my teacher use to put a Mercury Dime in his 3rd Valve bottom.. He was friends with Armando Ghitalla and got the idea and reasoning from him.. They both surmised that adding the weight to the middle of the horn and the silver percentage of the Mercury Dime helps with the response and the intonation.

http://www.thetrumpetblog.com/dime-or-no-dime/

“Heroes turn into martyrs on this instrument.” ~ William Vacchiano
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
... but it can be brutal for newbies if they cross the threshold for one or more of these categories.

"It" being the self-appointed vigilantes who harass new posters (who are not violating any forum rule) with personal attacks. It's called hazing.

I've said many times that it's completely fair for someone to list something in the marketplace if they fulfill the eligibility requirements. I do not now nor have I ever had any problem with that.

My objection is to generating topics without sincerity. Any time I see a topic I assume that it was generated by whoever initiated it with a sincere desire to promote discussion and advance knowledge. If I think I can contribute I'll post a response. I try to put a lot of thought and effort into those responses. So, it's disappointing when I find out later that the person initiating the topic was just going through the motions to qualify for the marketplace, that the primary purpose of initiating the topic wasn't a sincere desire to promote discussion and advance knowledge. I feel duped.

I wish that people posting for the primary purpose of qualifying for the marketplace would conclude their posts by saying, "By the way, I'm posting this only to get my 5 posts in to qualify for the marketplace." That way the person could get their 5 posts in without fooling the rest of us into responding to what is essentially a facetious question.

Personally, I don't see much of a purpose for the 5 post rule. It's so easy to fulfill that it really doesn't deter people who want to qualify for the marketplace. What it does too often is clog up the forums with "going through the motions" posts.

To be clear, I don't have any objection to people posting in the marketplace if they fulfill the 5 post rule. If they've followed the rule then more power to them. My objection is fooling people into believing questions are sincere when they are posed just to meet the 5 post rule. I just wish people who are posting for the purpose of fulfilling the 5 post requirement would just come out and say so.I wouldn't have any objection to that. In fact, I would support it.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Five short sentences vs paragraph after paragraph voicing one’s pet peeve, all the while knowing that the forum owner sets the rules.

Which is truly clogging up the forums?

How about this? Find an alternative solution that solves both the spambot issues and serves the purpose of introducing the newbie to the forum and initiate a private conversation with Todd the owner as he is the only one who can change the policy.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Hmm. Five short sentences vs paragraph after paragraph voicing one’s pet peeve, all the while knowing that the forum owner sets the rules.

Which is truly clogging up the forums?

How about this? Find an alternative solution that solves both the spambot issues and serves the purpose of introducing the newbie to the forum and initiate a private conversation with Todd the owner as he is the only one who can change the policy.

Hmm. Courtesy and consideration would be a nice solution, don't you think?
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About ten years ago, I helped Flip Oakes with the web material he would publish concerning his accessory weighted valve caps and stems. We took his Wild Thing and Celebration trumpets to an auditorium with good acoustics and set about cataloging the differences with each trumpet, each tuning slide (Flip offered 8 designs) and each of the three weights of bottom caps. We included the top caps and stems in the mix, but I don't recall if we sampled each combination with and without them.

Flip would stand at the front of the auditorium and play a consistent music sample. I would walk around the room to observe changes in projection pattern and strength, timbre quality, articulation, etc. What was interesting is that it the results were not predictable, especially how the timbre was affected. Also, a given setup on the Wild Thing did not necessarily produce the same effect when used on the Celebration.

Fast forward a couple of years. I began to have intonation trouble with my personal WT. The horn just wasn't behaving right. I still had the prototype set of valve caps, so I tried the various bottom caps to see if they would help. My thinking was that my sound concept was developing, or my technique was going a certain direction and the horn no longer responded the way I wanted. I found, at that time, that the heaviest set of bottom caps gave the horn better response. I told this to Flip during a phone conversation and he told me to bring my trumpet down to the shop.

When I got there, he checked the alignment and inspected the pads. They had swollen from the valve oil and messed up the piston alignment. He said that the pad material was apparently prone to that and he had found a different composition that didn't swell. He fitted this new material to my horn. Now, the horn really sucked using the heavy bottom caps! I put the stock caps back on and voilá, the Wild Thing magic had returned! It seemed the offset in weight had helped smooth out the acoustic disturbances that had developed from the valves being misaligned. When those disturbances disappeared, the caps had a more adverse effect.

I've periodically made other experiments with my trumpets and flugelhorn using these weighted caps. Here's what I've come to believe: If the horn is developed with them, it will probably play best that way. If the caps are being added to a horn, it is generally best to balance the mass of the bottom cap with added weight at the top cap, as well. That mass needs to be part of a balanced valve assembly.

Case in point, the Flip Oakes Inspiration. That model arrived just prior to Kanstul closing its doors and there are only four in existence (plus the sister horn I call Mystére. ) This trumpet is related closely to the Wild Thing Bb, but the added weight of the valve caps and buttons, plus the sleeved lead pipe works. That redesign resulted in a stable trumpet with secure slotting and a strong core at low or high volume, but it still had flexibility similar to the lighter weight Wild Thing design. I was impressed!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: