• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha cornet mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladsar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:50 am    Post subject: Yamaha cornet mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hi!

I've recently bought a yamaha neo cornet. I've been using Curry 3BBC most of the time. It's a very good mp, but with the neo cornet it's a bit on the bright side for me, especially when playing soft parts and solo parts. So I've tried Yamaha 14ES for a while, and I really like the sound I'm getting. It's a bit darker and rounder compared to the 3BBC. However, I'm struggling a bit when I have to play loud parts, it feels a bit restricted when I'm really pushing it.

Has anybody tried the Yamaha signature mouthpieces? Yamaha did make a David King signature mouthpiece that came with the Xeno cornet. But now it's not produced anymore. When I look at the specs I would really like to try it.

The other one is CR-Dutot-S. This is also not so far away from 14ES. So I might give it a try.

Would really appriciate comments if you have tried or know something about these mouthpieces.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed the deeper Dutot model... But it'll be much more on the curry BBC side of things.

The David King model is extreme - I doubt that's going to help with volume over a 14E.
ladsar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try the Dutot for sure. Yamaha cornet mp are not the most expensive ones, so I'll give it a try.

I'm rather curios about the David King mouthpiece. I've read a lot of comments and different opinions about it. Some says it's like a DW3/DW4 no letter. If so, that means it will be a lot of work, but it may give me a warmer and darker sound as a result. That's what I'm hoping for, but I might as well get disappointed.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might like the Flip Oakes X3X which is made for him by Curry and I think has the same 3 rim as the Curry. I have one. Its deeper and more open than the BBC Curry.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
ladsar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip Oakes is on my list. I've never tried FO mp before, but if it's the same rim as Curry3 I might give it a try. At FO homepage, are they listed as Flip Oakes Extra Deep "V" Cup Bb Cornet Mouthpieces?
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladsar wrote:
Flip Oakes is on my list. I've never tried FO mp before, but if it's the same rim as Curry3 I might give it a try. At FO homepage, are they listed as Flip Oakes Extra Deep "V" Cup Bb Cornet Mouthpieces?

Thats the one - the extra deep - its like a more controllable no letter wick mouthpiece. Need to check on the rims though. Mine feels big for a 3, but I don't have a Curry to check it against. Makes a great sound though.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
ladsar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thank you for info I will be able to try the two Yamaha mouthpieces rather soon. If I don't like them I might try Flip Oakes.
Ferg825

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it safe to assume that your using the Neo mainly for british brass band?

I play a Neo cornet in a brass band. I have a Wick 4B (regular and hertiage), Wick 4, pickett british cornet 3, and a Sparx 3. For refernece, I play a GR 66L on Bb. I have had success on all mouthpieces. For front row playing, I always end up back on my Sparx 3. I can get a round mellow sound, but also add a little brilliance when I need to. I like the pickett 3 or wick 4 for back row playing.
ladsar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm using the Neo for brass band. I'm on the front row, and I'm trying to find a mouthpiece with a bit darker and warmer sound than a Curry3BBC. I've tried and played Denis Wick 4 and 4W, but I don't like the rim. I do have a Alliance RM3A, it felt better than DW, but I didn't get the sound I'm looking for. Maybe I have to try RM3 or one of the deeper Alliance mouthpieces.

I've never tried Sparx or Pickett mp's, but both of them looks promising. Maybe I'll try them, but they are rather expensive, so I will focus on the Yamaha signature mp's for now.
ladsar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thats the one - the extra deep - its like a more controllable no letter wick mouthpiece. Need to check on the rims though. Mine feels big for a 3, but I don't have a Curry to check it against. Makes a great sound though.

I got an opportunity to try the David King mp for some days. It produces a nice sound, very varm and dark, but it's not for me after all. I'm not a pro player, and it just takes too much effort playing this mp. Especially when playing above the staff.

Gordon, you said the Flip Oakes is more controllable than DW no letter. That sounds very good, but I'm not quite sure what exactly yo mean with controllable. English is not my native language, so please forgive me for asking. How do they compare when it comes to endurance, flexibility, playing soft and loud, dark tone and/or bright tone?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: