• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Guided meditation for performance/creativity

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donjon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Guided meditation for performance/creativity Reply with quote

I have found a number of guided meditations extremely useful for quietening the 'inner critic'. I'd love to have some others to use, can you suggest any?

My suggestions are

For stage fright https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9bx20fnNBE

To help enhance creativity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtoTnV8t3k4

Any other suggestions?
Donjon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very surprised that I've had no replies so far. I consider meditation to be an invaluable part of my preparation. I've just finished my 5th gig this week and I think even for a battle hardened performer, meditation provides an opportunity to get down to a really relaxed state and really let the creativity flow.

Seriously, don't any of you guys use similar guided meditations?
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are talking to trumpet players here. Skin like an elephant, sensitivity of a rock, delicacy of a herd of rhinos.

Meditation is mostly based on seeing if we can get the violas’ hair parted differently during a soft passage...

Now that the facts of life are out of the way... you are quite correct that reflection, meditation and a sense of self are critical to one’s performance and staying healthy in every sense. My personal meditation time is early morning, when walking the dogs. It’s also my buzzing warm up, daily planning session and general self check.

If i get back home in a foisted or less than serene stage, I know I need to stop and smell the virtual roses for a spell.

Of course, this is my strategy, others have their own which look completely different.

Cheers

Andy
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking into a long-term usage of meditation to calm yourself, and to put yourself into deep meditative conditions for creativity, then I would look into Transcendental Meditation.

If you are looking for something you can use quickly to put you in a calm state, try The Relaxation Response.

p.s. I have no idea what, "Meditation is mostly based on seeing if we can get the violas’ hair parted differently during a soft passage..." means.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
RNOtrmptr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always tended to be physically tense, which of course isn't good for playing trumpet. I do a variety of guided meditations a few times a day. One app I like a lot is called Insight Timer. I also do progressive muscle relaxation exercises, many of which can be found on YouTube.

Lastly, I have recently begun doing some easy yoga. So easy, in fact, that they're done sitting in a chair. Again, there are many on YouTube.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Guided meditation for performance/creativity Reply with quote

Donjon wrote:
I have found a number of guided meditations extremely useful for quietening the 'inner critic'. I'd love to have some others to use, can you suggest any?

My suggestions are

Any other suggestions?

Please allow some time for us to react! Slow and easy! Myself - 3 hard rehearsals and two church concerts since friday the 6th.

As for meditation I´ve used meditation - like approaches "centering" myself as preparation before big public concerts, in concert halls. A way to discover and put away all the peripheral stimuli constantly in orbit in everyday life. A way to "syncronize" myself (yes I know, vague concepts), breathing, emotions.
I use the common counting down from say 300 - 295, then repeating "calm" not as a word but as a sound - slowly drifting deeper into a state of relaxation - then taking an inventory of what´s circling around - just noticing it, "letting it be". Thoughts, emotions, are like clouds on a summer´s sky, one minute they are here, the next they have literally vaporized, ceased to be, are no more.
Then noticing that heightened awareness of your heartbeat, your breathing - the system prepares itself for the upcoming concert - not getting out of control. Don´t fight it - you´ll never succeed, allow it, recognize it!
So I agree with your ideas - meditation/variants of can be powerful means. Visualization of yourself, including hearing, kind of, playing, during a meditational state could be very helpful. And as I always recollect thinking of these states, in the words of Wagner: "Attaining that hypnagogic state of mind necessary for every artistic performance of the highest degree" Go loose yourself in the music!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RNOtrmptr wrote:
Lastly, I have recently begun doing some easy yoga. So easy, in fact, that they're done sitting in a chair. Again, there are many on YouTube.

I'm sure the poster didn't mean this but just to clarify, Yoga is also done standing and some is very rigorous.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
Meditation is mostly based on seeing if we can get the violas’ hair parted differently during a soft passage...

HA!!!!
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good topic. I also use Insight Timer for guided meditations, mostly to chill a bit after work, and before sleep. I do notice a difference in concentration during practice after doing it.

Was reading an article on this at FretDojo, a guitar site, and found a good lesson in the comments. A guy recovered from severe stage fright by learning to sing internally as he played guitar. Good reminder that music interpretation is itself a great meditation, and can help silence the inner critic. That Arnold Jacobs fella was brilliant.
Donjon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to hear about your experiences, I'm definitely keen to hear of any more guided meditations which are intended for creatives and performers.

I spend a lot of time meditating and it certainly can be a huge help with performances. Strangely, any nervousness is pretty much independent of the size of the gig, just my perception of it. Jazz is less likely to cause an issue than classical
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be interested in Effortless Mastery.

http://www.jazzbooks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JAJAZZ&Product_Code=EM&Category_Code=

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarface wrote:
A guy recovered from severe stage fright by learning to sing internally as he played guitar. Good reminder that music interpretation is itself a great meditation, and can help silence the inner critic.

Employed this method without realizing it recently. I played an unaccompanied hymn for my father's memorial service the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. (Thanksgiving week is a rather inconvenient time to put together special music for a funeral.)

I had picked a relatively simple, upbeat hymn (I Sing the Mighty Power of God) and planned to play one verse lyrically and one verse marcato/majestic. Of course, standing in front of a silent church with family and friends in attendance (not to mention the personal emotion of the moment) caused the first couple bars to be a bit "wobbly."

As you mentioned, I then noticed the words of praise and celebration (serendipitous to use the hymnal!) and allowed them to let me relax, at which point I started focusing on phrasing (and breathing.) All good after that.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Guided meditation for performance/creativity Reply with quote

Donjon wrote:

My suggestions are

Any other suggestions?

I do the Stuart Smalley routines.....

keith
Worley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Nerves Reply with quote

I honestly have found the best form of meditation to just be an extreme degree of preparation. I recently played a recital and for the first time I felt 100% comfortable and knew EXACTLY how each piece was going to pan out. I also like to perform in the attire I am going to perform in at the same time a week ahead of time so I am comfortable in every other way. I know this is a tad off topic, but I tried a lot of meditation and this was my best fix.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not meditation, it is preparation.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Oncewasaplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree with Worley. The best preparation quiets the inner critic. Meditation helps, too.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two kinds of meditation that apply to this situation; 1) long-term, overall relaxation and,2) something that triggers relaxation at a moment's notice. It seems to me that both would benefit you.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
You are talking to trumpet players here. Skin like an elephant, sensitivity of a rock, delicacy of a herd of rhinos.

Andy

Haha! Nice one. Neal Berntsen once turned to me and said: "If the back row of violas aren't covering their ears, you're not playing loud enough." I think you're on to something.
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Guided meditation for performance/creativity Reply with quote

Yeah....Neal Berntsen is wrong, as I heard viola players don't know what a laser beam is!! Haha!!
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Headspace ap on my phone. It requires a subscription but it’s been incredibly useful for a number of trumpet related things. I had never meditated before and i wasn’t sure what to expect. I was able to use the beginner series for free but after a week it was clear that I needed to continue the process because the benefits were clear. They offer a ton of different methods to achieve different goals and work at any experience level. They even do live streaming meditations if you want to feel more connected. It’s great to have all the tools available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: