• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

List of orch works by transposition?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krumcake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: List of orch works by transposition? Reply with quote

Hello good people,

Does anyone have or know of a list of orchestral repertoire that includes the key(s) of trumpet each piece was written for?

I'm trying to be a bit more organized with my transposition practice. So if I want to practice orchestral rep for trumpet in F, for example, it'd be helpful to be able to quickly reference a list rather than just go back to what I already know.

Seems like a list with this info has probably been compiled in a dissertation somewhere. I'm aware of transposition books such as Caffarelli, Ernest Williams, etc. I'm wanting to work on transposition directly with orchestral (or opera) repertoire.
aaron
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this exists. If you want to be systematic with your transposition practice, I'd recommend using an etude book like Sachse, 100 Studies. One study per week, one key per day... Two years later, you will be a competent transposer.

Personally, I don't even think excerpts are the most efficient way to learn transposition - they tend to cluster around certain keys, and require so much practice that they end up more or less memorized.
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any specific list, but this should be fairly easy to compile, especially for a plucky young trumpeter with orchestral aspirations! The standard repertoire isn't THAT large...I'd suggest maybe starting with the pieces contained in the standard excerpt books (International, Norris, Hickman Editions, etc.) and then hitting maybe trumpetexcerpts.org, etc. and going from there.
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: List of orch works by transposition? Reply with quote

Krumcake wrote:
I'm aware of transposition books such as Caffarelli, Ernest Williams, etc. I'm wanting to work on transposition directly with orchestral (or opera) repertoire.

Don't forget the Leduc edition of Bordogni. FANTASTIC book for practicing transpositions
Krumcake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far, everyone!

Yes, I certainly agree that working through transposition books or simply playing any tune/etude in a number of transpositions is far more effective for improving transposition than practicing orchestral rep.

I think what I'm going for is a combination of:
- transposition practice
- sight reading practice
- familiarization with repertoire or trumpet parts that I haven't yet played
- playing along with recordings of various groups/interpretations
- becoming more comfortable with the various "fonts" (is there an official musical term for this?) of notation and different notations of rhythm

I'm thinking about putting together a spreadsheet. Starting, perhaps, with the most standard repertoire. Though I definitely do want to include less popular works (emphasizing my desire for sight reading practice).

If I do put together such a list, I will include the transposition keys and also the differences of transposition between the trumpet parts of a given piece.

Can you think of any other information, easily compilable, that could be useful (for practice, for quick reference, etc) to include on this list?
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krumcake wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far, everyone!

Yes, I certainly agree that working through transposition books or simply playing any tune/etude in a number of transpositions is far more effective for improving transposition than practicing orchestral rep.

I think what I'm going for is a combination of:
- transposition practice
- sight reading practice
- familiarization with repertoire or trumpet parts that I haven't yet played
- playing along with recordings of various groups/interpretations
- becoming more comfortable with the various "fonts" (is there an official musical term for this?) of notation and different notations of rhythm

I'm thinking about putting together a spreadsheet. Starting, perhaps, with the most standard repertoire. Though I definitely do want to include less popular works (emphasizing my desire for sight reading practice).

If I do put together such a list, I will include the transposition keys and also the differences of transposition between the trumpet parts of a given piece.

Can you think of any other information, easily compilable, that could be useful (for practice, for quick reference, etc) to include on this list?

A direct link to the part on IMSLP, if it's on there...
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: