• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mike Lovatt - consultation lesson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete236

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Mike Lovatt - consultation lesson Reply with quote

Evening folks!

So, Mike Lovatt...

For quite a while he has been the Trumpet Player that I've admired the most. The things he has done, the gigs and recordings, and of course the John Wilson Orchestra.
I love his tone and the way he adapts to different styles so easily, I love that he is happy to play the ensemble stuff quietly and smoothly, blending to the section. I love that he is equally happy to lead out and solo.
He is happy to work with all sorts of people, all sorts of groups. His CD - 56° North - was recorded with a relatively unknown Brass Band (Fodens, as opposed to the superstar names like Brighouse, Black Dyke or Grimethorpe)

For Christmas, my other half got in touch with Mile and has sorted me out a consultation lesson for this year! It turns out he loves quite close to her place, they met in a coffee shop and chatted for ages about music (she used to play until poor health meant she had to stop) and she tells me that he is a lovely guy, easy to talk to and with no airs and graces at all.

I'm getting to the point of the story now...(honest!)

What should I expect when I rock up for a lesson with Mike Lovatt?

(I've not booked it yet, it's on my never ending to-do list!)
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest asking him to do the 'lesson' as he would for a masterclass.

That basically means that you choose a piece that is somewhat challenging for you, but which you can play at a reasonable steady tempo and still get all the articulations.

His 'job' is to do a very quick analysis of your playing strengths and weaknesses, and to PICK one (or perhaps more) items that -
1) he can help you with
2) you can DO something about
3) it can be tried and learned in the time frame of the lesson

At one MC that I observed (for flute), the issue was the player's posture - the technical playing and music was not an issue. The player was letting the end of the flute dip down, and that impacted the sound quality. Simply encouraging (with some 'teaching') the player to keep the flute horizontal, the sound improved noticeably.

And you can certainly ask about other issues that you could pursue on your own, but which would require more time than is available.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you. He is my favourite trumpet player and a very nice guy. His own Smith-Watkins trumpets and mouthpiece designs are pretty good too.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Donjon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did your consultation go? What did you focus on?
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike Lovatt - consultation lesson Reply with quote

Pete236 wrote:
Evening folks!

So, Mike Lovatt...

---- snip snip snip

What should I expect when I rock up for a lesson with Mike Lovatt?

(I've not booked it yet, it's on my never ending to-do list!)

I'd ask him for the following:
- advice on any area of your playing that you're having a problem with and how to practice to correct it
- advice on how/what to practice to evolve your playing

keith
Pete236

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning everyone,

Thanks for the replies and please accept my apologies for having not replied sooner. This year has thrown up some difficulties here and there...

Anyways, I finally had my lesson with Mike last week.

I didnt know what to expect, or what to take with me, so I took damn near everything I have!
I was confident that my embouchure would need a lot of work, but that my breathing was fine if not strong.

How wrong was I!

I played 2 middle G's and a C, and the first thing that Mike picked up on was that my breathing was utter rubbish, but my embouchure was ok and didn't need altering!

2 hours of breathing exercises and discussions about lip, resistance and pressure followed on.

I learned a huge amount about the trumpet and how the sound is produced. I learned that I've been making the sound the hard way - by making my lips do all the work instead of letting the trumpet do the work, and I have an exercise regime to try and alter that and encourage better breathing habits.

But I have to say that Mike is a lovely bloke. I was a bundle of nerves having not had a lesson in 15 years, and having loathed my previous teacher when I was at school. Also, meeting my musical idol rather daunting, and I detest playing in front of people without a full band to hide behind. I only began to relax in the last ten minutes or so.
But the nice thing is, Mike is happy for me to go back for a follow up or two or three, and he thinks that I am worth spending time and energy on.

Now I just need to make time for practising...
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky guy. Wish I lived nearer and could afford a lesson or three. I could have an online lesson, I suppose. Maybe one day.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: