• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Where do you draw the line?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Where do you draw the line? Reply with quote

There have been a lot of conversations on the differences between trumpets and cornets, and I recently saw a photo of Pop's first cornet. I also just bought a Marcinkiewicz Rembrandt model 4 trumpet which... straddles the line. Shepherd's crook, big bell flare (though not quite as extreme as the Wild Thing was). I can't wait to try some different mouthpiece options on it.
Anyway - where would you draw the line?
(This is more an artistic discussion than a technical one - throw in your educated opinion!)
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornet was considered as a soloist instrument, not as martial as the trumpet.
When I play cornet, i do it more delicately
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find it interesting when someone has a trumpet and wants a darker tone. More cornet like. So why not just use a cornet with the proper mouthpiece in the first place?
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Where do you draw the line? Reply with quote

dershem wrote:
There have been a lot of conversations on the differences between trumpets and cornets, and I recently saw a photo of Pop's first cornet. I also just bought a Marcinkiewicz Rembrandt model 4 trumpet which... straddles the line. Shepherd's crook, big bell flare (though not quite as extreme as the Wild Thing was). I can't wait to try some different mouthpiece options on it.
(This is more an artistic discussion than a technical one - throw in your educated opinion!)

For me it´s very simple....I bring the horn in question to the brass band rehearsal and before you know it the verdict is delivered....I´ve tried and I´ve failed. So much for that! Instant frowning.... No need to discuss things further.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Where do you draw the line Reply with quote

Hello all,
Don't know what direction you want to take, but if you talking about literature, I would play the instrument that was meant to play the part. Older band tunes were written for both cornet and trumpet parts, with a delineation of sound differences that were well thought out. Early dixie/jazz was meant to be played with a cornet. The velvety sound of a cornet was thought to be the sound of the early solos with community bands. The dance bands and orchestras changed that over time with a more direct sound of a trumpet. Other than period correctness, one can get a beautiful, round sound out of a trumpet when they want, without having too much of a change in equipment. Mostly a matter of approach and concept.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK the brass band contest rules were that a cornet was pitched in Bb or Eb, had a cornet receiver and a rearward pulling tuning slide. There was no mention of bore profile or anything else.
This definition was scrapped in the late 80s when Boosey and Hawkes brought out a sovereign soprano cornet that had a front pull tuning slide.

I believe this definition came in in the early 70s to prevent the use of Schilke Eb trumpets for the soprano cornet part.

I once loaned a long model cornet to someone when his was in for repair and there was genuine fear the band would be disqualified if he used it in the contest (he didn't have to though as his came back in time).
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Where do you draw the line? Reply with quote

dershem wrote:

Great question. From an "artistic" point of view, I don't know where I'd draw the line, because the line has become increasing blurred. And as such, the sound we can get from either instruments has also become increasing blurred.

This is a trumpet forum, where political discussions are prohibited, because they are too controversial. Ironically, if this was a political forum, we'd be prohibited from talking about "trumpets vs cornets", because that topic is too controversial.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.

Last edited by TrumpetMD on Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.robbstewart.com/difference-between-trumpet-and-cornet
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you draw the line? Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
dershem wrote:

Great question. From an "artistic" point of view, I don't know where I'd draw the line, because the line has become increasing blurred. And as such, the sound we can get from either instruments has also become increasing blurred.

This is a trumpet forum, where political discussions are prohibited, because they are too controversial. Ironically, if this was a political forum, we'd be prohibited from talking about "trumpets vs cornets", because that topic is too controversial.

Mike

Finally - someone who isn't effectively saying "I'm a purist - do what i demand!"
I have a bunch of horns, including a couple of cornets (a long model and a short) and several flugels and trumpets with different bell flares. And, as you said, some horns blur the lines. It is not black and white by any means, and I'm gonna enjoy exploring the possibilities.
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you draw the line? Reply with quote

dershem wrote:
Finally - someone who isn't effectively saying "I'm a purist - do what i demand!"I have a bunch of horns, including a couple of cornets (a long model and a short) and several flugels and trumpets with different bell flares. And, as you said, some horns blur the lines. It is not black and white by any means, and I'm gonna enjoy exploring the possibilities.

You go, girl!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: