• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New mutes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: New mutes? Reply with quote

In the market for new mutes. I’m SICK of mine falling out all the time. Any recommendations?
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got tons of mutes, lots of different brands, and all of them stay in. Maybe breathe on your bell first? What mutes, what horn?
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a combination of H&B, Trumcor, JoRal (even the heavy copper Bubble), ... for bell-inserted mutes. I've used them with both a tight Bach 43 bell and the wide 72. Except on the rarest occasions my mutes don't fall out. I always try to fog the inside of bell well with a hot breath. That seems to do the trick.

If the mute is sticking out too far as happens with many including the H&B straight, then filing the corks might give more grip.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New mutes? Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
In the market for new mutes. I’m SICK of mine falling out all the time. Any recommendations?

The reason they're falling out is because of some problem with the corks and/or the manner of insertion and/or the size of the bell throat being too big for the mutes. The cheapest/most efficient fix is to figure out what the problem is and then fix it with new corks or a better insertion method.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be wrong with your sanding down your corks for a snugger fit?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my nickel plated horn (Conn Connstellation). The nickel is a lot slipperier than silver/gold/lacquer, so even with moisture sometimes mutes would slip out. I decided to buy some rubberised cork to replace the old ones and it works great. I also use a neoprene 'cork' on my harmon mute and that's worked well so far. I think Soulo Mutes sell a 3-pack of rubberised mute corks for about $9 (I'm sure you can find cheaper) and the same 'gasket-style' harmon cork. It'd be cheaper than a set of mutes.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you live a dry climate, or you store your mutes in a dry environment, the corks may have dried out.

Hmm. I did a little research to see what might help replenish the cork’s moisture. And found a post that basically says my assumption is BS.

https://www.rodbuilding.org/templates/rodmaking/images/header-rodboard.jpg wrote:
Cork
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 15, 2002 11:38AM

For what it is worth, we did an article on cork in the Jan/Feb '99 issue (sold out of course) that detailed exactly what cork is and the properties is has that make it so ideal for a myriad of uses. Processing is pretty much a matter of just peeling, boiling and punching. Sometimes it is bleached for cosmetic purposes.

Drying is done first, then it is boiled so the outermost layer can be removed. Boiling also makes it pliable so it can be flattened and punched.

Cork is almost water proof and will not absorb water to any real degree. Notice I said almost, not 100%. By cell volume, cork is 50% air. This makes it light as well as a great insulator. Cork does not like to absorb anything very well, and thus most coatings just seal the surface rather than penetrating and being absorbed.

Most of the cork we see for use in fishing rods or wine stoppers is "refugo bark" cork and is the 2nd and 3rd stripping from the tree, almost never the first. While cork trees continue to replenish their bark, it takes 9 to 10 years to form another layer suitable for debarking and after about 150 years the tree must be replaced.

Cork is one of the truly fascinating natural materials and I am getting too carried away and off the mark of the original discussion.

RodBuilding.org

Basically what I thought is that the cork surface may be too smooth/slick to grip the bell.

So sanding and fitting might do the trick.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BraeGrimes wrote:
I had the same problem with my nickel plated horn (Conn Connstellation). The nickel is a lot slipperier than silver/gold/lacquer, so even with moisture sometimes mutes would slip out.

Really? That's interesting. I played a Connstellation in H.S. and college and don't remember a mute ever falling out. I wonder why the difference in our experiences?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
When filing the corks use a tuner to check that your intonation is ok. Usually filing the corks is done to improve intonation as opposed to giving the mute more grip.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I follow Tom Crown's advice:

"Some bell curves may make it difficult for the mute to stay in the trumpet wah-wah mutes that fall out can be treated by rubbing a very small amount of violin bow rosin on the corks."

http://www.tomcrownmutes.com/learn_history.html

While this is mentioned specifically talking about Harmon-type mutes, I find it works for other mutes that tend to want to slip out of the bell.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
I follow Tom Crown's advice:

"Some bell curves may make it difficult for the mute to stay in the trumpet wah-wah mutes that fall out can be treated by rubbing a very small amount of violin bow rosin on the corks."

http://www.tomcrownmutes.com/learn_history.html

While this is mentioned specifically talking about Harmon-type mutes, I find it works for other mutes that tend to want to slip out of the bell.

A wise guy, eh?

I like the idea. Now if the violins will just look away for a moment...
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time you're on a gig in a hot venue (especially outdoors) just wipe a bit of sweat off your brow and onto the mute corks. Falling out problem solved.
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

Really? That's interesting. I played a Connstellation in H.S. and college and don't remember a mute ever falling out. I wonder why the difference in our experiences?

Well, I live in Australia so maybe different climate? I find nickel slipperier in general though...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: