• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Berp Bio Oil

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruin wrote:
DezynGuy wrote:
Bruin wrote:
I also appreciate that it's made from canola

Actually, it's made from soy. And you must clean your valves with soap and water to remove all other traces of previous lubricants before applying this incredible product!!

This stuff is fantastic!

Nope, not based on a somewhat recent e-mail exchange with their company. They said that they used to use soy, but found canola oil to be superior to soy. There was this discrepancy on their vs. Canadian Brass' websites. They've since updated their info, or should have.

Hmm.
Berp Company website wrote:
This new oil has been developed by the makers of the Berp together with the scientists of Novvi and is made in the USA from sustainably grown sugarcane. Novvi’s mission statement “we grow revolutionary oils and lubricants that protect equipment and our community” fits Berp and Co.’s. commitment to locally produced sustainable products.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxophonist56 wrote:
per josh landress brass...berp is way too thick for new modern horns. it is basically for old vintage horns. large tolerances in the valve block only. hetman one cleared up all my problems with my adams a9. and is recomended for new horns by landress brass.

Then I guess Yamaha and Hetmans are also way too thick since we seem to be referring to the heavy viscosity version and not the light which is “formulated for newer instruments with tighter clearances”.
saxophonist56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i guess they sent me the heavy stuff....he still recomended hetman over berp for newer horns.
Eric Ball
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Berp Bio Light on my Yamaha trumpets and cornets..works great...quick, smooth and consistent valves all day long.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Berp Bio Oil Reply with quote

Hack001 wrote:
What's best is that it is completely organic - no petroleum even. Nothing to get in my lungs and make it even harder to breathe... anyway.. here's the link if anyone wants to check it out.

If Berp's oil works for you, that's great.

However, their claims that it's "non-toxic", recommended for "people who suffer from asthma and allergic reactions to pollution", contains "essential oils", are misleading.

It's still valve oil, regardless of the source (organic, synthetic, mineral, bio). All valves oils all basically mid-length hydrocarbons, with a few added ingredients. And to the OP, I suggest you not put BerpOil in your lungs ... you'll have the same result as with any other oil.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
trompette229
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know....I cooked dinner in Canola oil last night and felt just fine but this mornings pancakes cooked with Al Cass seemed "a bit off"
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trompette229 wrote:
I don't know....I cooked dinner in Canola oil last night and felt just fine but this mornings pancakes cooked with Al Cass seemed "a bit off"

Nice reply. Better than what I considered.
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soy or canola? I used caster bean oil for my Yamaha (YZ-125 two stroke motorcycle).
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruin wrote:

Berp's website also says, "It is recommended that you clean your instrument as you normally would every two weeks or so to prevent build-up. BerpBioOil does not evaporate the same way as petroleum-based oils." I never clean my horn this often. I hope this doesn't mean that I'm now going to have to (doubt it -- I haven't thus far).

Every two weeks??? I don't think so... I don't know a single trumpeter who cleans their horn every 2 weeks.
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Berp Bio Oil Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:

It's still valve oil, regardless of the source (organic, synthetic, mineral, bio). All valves oils all basically mid-length hydrocarbons, with a few added ingredients. And to the OP, I suggest you not put BerpOil in your lungs ... you'll have the same result as with any other oil.

Mike

Although I agree that putting any oil in your lungs is not recommended, there's a difference in the combinations and types of hydrocarbons between Bio, Petroleum, and Synthetic oils. Synthetic oils are the most stable, as they are all long chain hydrocarbons and won't carry as many harmful impurities as Bio and Petroleum or even semi-synthetic oils.
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used BioOil for years and there is zero buildup problem after a couple of weeks of use-this was true when I first started using it but the company must have changed the formula years ago, because it's not any kind of an issue now. Best oil I've used-NEVER sticks. The only reason I'll add oil after several days is just to keep it fast.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
JPHB

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, and regarding it being too thick for new horns, they make a "light" version that seems to work well on my brand new Yamaha. I guess time will tell. . .
Melina

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there, I came across this topic during my search for a natural valve oil that is less toxic. I went and bought the medium bottle for the valves of my brand-new Bb Trumpet from Thomann. I read that you have to clean the valves before changing to the BERP oil. I deliberately haven't applied any oil since the purchase of this trumpet as I wanted to wait until I can choose a good valve oil rather than using the one that came with the trumpet. So basically, I have never oiled the valves of this trumpet before. Do I still need to clean them in soapy water before applying BERP? Is it possible that an oil potentially applied by the shop before sending the trumpet out could affect the BERP oil?
I'd be glad to get some advice on this because I would really like to avoid washing them while obviously I also don't want anything to make the BERP less effective.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melina wrote:
Hello there, I came across this topic during my search for a natural valve oil that is less toxic. I went and bought the medium bottle for the valves of my brand-new Bb Trumpet from Thomann. I read that you have to clean the valves before changing to the BERP oil. I deliberately haven't applied any oil since the purchase of this trumpet as I wanted to wait until I can choose a good valve oil rather than using the one that came with the trumpet. So basically, I have never oiled the valves of this trumpet before. Do I still need to clean them in soapy water before applying BERP? Is it possible that an oil potentially applied by the shop before sending the trumpet out could affect the BERP oil?
I'd be glad to get some advice on this because I would really like to avoid washing them while obviously I also don't want anything to make the BERP less effective.

Why are you trying to avoid doing reasonable maintenance on your horn?

Part of breaking in a horn requires regular cleaning, on the order of weekly for some brands, of the valves and cleaning them prior to the first oiling won't cause any issues, and might even clean up leftover manufacturing residue.
Melina

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

Why are you trying to avoid doing reasonable maintenance on your horn?

Part of breaking in a horn requires regular cleaning, on the order of weekly for some brands, of the valves and cleaning them prior to the first oiling won't cause any issues, and might even clean up leftover manufacturing residue.

Well I'm not trying to neglect my instrument but under my current circumstances doing these things is a bit awkward and I was just hoping I could put it off a little longer, before doing the first clean.
Anyway thanks for the reply. So if I didn't wash the valves before first oiling it would be likely to affect the trumpet negatively? In that case I will do it to avoid harming the trumpet.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melina, do you have experience with basic cleaning and oiling of your trumpet?

With a new instrument, there is a chance that it might not be completely clean - so some people recommend doing a full cleaning as soon as possible (just to be sure!).
An indication that a full cleaning is necessary is if the slides feel 'rough' or 'scratchy' AFTER they have been wiped with a clean tissue and fresh grease or oil has been applied. Or if the valve pistons feel rough or scratchy AFTER they have been wiped clean and freshly oiled.

Your instrument is likely to NOT need a full cleaning at this time, just remove and wipe the slides and the pistons (do NOT disassemble the internal parts of the valves). Then apply fresh grease or oil to the slides, and fresh valve oil to the pistons.
For at least the first week you should clean the valve pistons every day - it is not unusual for them to get dirty quickly when new. After a week you can judge whether to continue with daily cleaning.

If you are not familiar with the cleaning and oiling process, then just do 1 slide or 1 valve at a time - clean and oil it and re-install, and then do the another one, until all are finished. Use a soft paper towel or cloth to put the parts on as you work with them.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advice/info in Jay's post is good. We get a mix of crusty old pros, rank amateurs, young first timers and everything in between. I am inferring from your post that you are a newer trumpet player. Forgive me if that is wrong.

A couple of things to keep in mind. As implied in Jay's post, each of the pistons is different, so you should be careful to avoid mixing them up. In addition, some designs have valve guides that allow the valve to appear to be correctly inserted but are in fact rotated 180 degrees out. So make sure you check that too.

Second, Jay recommends using a tissue to wipe down the valve. I personally never use tissue or paper products to clean my instruments. They can leave fibers behind which can cause valve hanging until removed. I use an old t-shirt that doesn't shed lint or fibers for my cleaning issues.

As to your question, I am certainly not an expert on valve oil interactions, but I highly doubt that you would have issues if you used the BERP oil without cleaning the valves. If it does cause issues you can always clean the valves then.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
... I use an old t-shirt that doesn't shed lint or fibers for my cleaning issues. ...

---------------------------------------
Very good suggestion! In my home workshop I have a bag of clean but worn-out t-shirts for that use. I haven't had any problems using paper towels or tissues, but that is a possibility.
I also have several worn-out toothbrushes - they are useful, and cost nothing.
(an 'old timer' friend once told me "never throw-out a toothbrush" - well, maybe having 10 is enough ...).
For a 'work pad' I use a large synthetic 'chamois' cloth that is sold for car washing (drying actually).
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Melina

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for both your replies! I have played the trumpet for quite a few years in school but probably was a bit careless with it at that time, as you sometimes get with school related things Our teacher never really told us how do anything much other than bathe it once a year or so and for the rest of the time I was just oiling the valves. Never greased or used the slides at that time. So I am familiar with oiling the valves and have done the bathing before but not much more than that.
I am now picking it up again and hope to develop my skills further and take it more seriously but as my old Yamaha was broken I had to get a new Trumpet.
So I'm not a complete beginner but compared most of you guys probably pretty close to it. I do really want to prevent this trumpet from breaking too so I am eager to not do anything wrong. However, I noticed recently that a lot of people seem overthink every tiny action, including myself sometimes, and I'm kind of trying to get away from it and find a balance between taking good care of it and not getting too much in the mind.
Your advice is very helpful! So when we're talking about cleaning - would wiping the valves with a lint-free cloth and then applying the BERP be sufficient? Or does 'cleaning the valves' really mean the whole soapy water thing?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
... I use an old t-shirt that doesn't shed lint or fibers for my cleaning issues. ...

---------------------------------------
Very good suggestion! In my home workshop I have a bag of clean but worn-out t-shirts for that use. I haven't had any problems using paper towels or tissues, but that is a possibility.
I also have several worn-out toothbrushes - they are useful, and cost nothing.
(an 'old timer' friend once told me "never throw-out a toothbrush" - well, maybe having 10 is enough ...).
For a 'work pad' I use a large synthetic 'chamois' cloth that is sold for car washing (drying actually).

Since I use an electric toothbrush I always have new toothbrushes to use as the dental hygienist gives me new brushes on each of my twice yearly visits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: